If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
May 1, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #11,791 of 19,249
Hi there. There's a lot of information in this thread about setting up my ER4P's for the Westone bluetooth connector with an MMCX connector adaptor.

Could someone please point me to an easy way to purchase what is needed to make this bluetooth system work with my ER4P's.

Ta. I'm in Australia.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H3XS2ZQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_dp_7KiYzb7JEHRFZ

What you really need is a Ety-pins to MMCX adapter that has 20-ohm resistors built in. I have seen quite a few Ety-pins to MMCX adapter on Taobao in the past, but those don't come with any resistor at all. You can still use those, but there is a chance you might pick up some hissing from the Westone bluetooth adapter. Plus it will not sound identical to an ER4P (which has 20ohm resistors built into the cable). I have built one in the past with 100ohm resistors (for ER4S), see pic below. There is an eBay seller called Awwan that sells this type of adapter, just tell him you want the P version.

9192383.jpg

9192384.jpg

May 1, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #11,792 of 19,249
You will not regret your decision. I did the same thing a long time ago, and I have been very happy with the ER4SR. They're definitely not flashy, but sonically they are excellent, especially at that price point. Also, Etymotic is a good company and I like that they're not shamelessly trying to rip off their customers (unlike a lot of other audio companies).

yeah they definitely seem to be an awesome company that is worth supporting. I'm sure there will be a "learning curve" but for comfort as far as deep insertion IEM's go, but I'm willing to go that route to get such a renowned sound

May 1, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #11,793 of 19,249
I hope there's news of a Ety 2.5mm balanced cable for ER4SR/XR becoming available soon.

May 3, 2018 at 12:34 AM Post #11,794 of 19,249
Anyone else hear a sizzling noise during cymbal crashes while using the ER4XR?

I've noticed it recently on mine and it's a bit hard to listen to rock music because of the lingering cymbal crashes.

There's also a constant puffing noise when I listen to this track as well:

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 12:37 AM Post #11,795 of 19,249
Anyone else hear a sizzling noise during cymbal crashes while using the ER4XR?

I've noticed it recently on mine and it's a bit hard to listen to rock music because of the lingering cymbal crashes.

There's also a constant puffing noise when I listen to this track as well:

I think they are in the track itself. Play some sine wave and see if you can here any artificial sound.

May 3, 2018 at 12:58 AM Post #11,796 of 19,249
I think they are in the track itself. Play some sine wave and see if you can here any artificial sound.

Ah, I think I might be describing the hi hats on the ER4XR. They're very easy to hear on them and linger with a sizzle. Not used to it.

May 3, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #11,797 of 19,249
Well, got my SR's today! The first thing I experienced was owwww, not used to that level of insertion. It goes away fairly quickly though. The small triple's that come installed are a decent fit for my small ears, but there's definitely some pressure to get used to for the first few insertions. I'm assuming that's normal?

The sound is truly incredible. I didn't have a ton of time today, but I messed around with some Chris Stapleton, Billy Joel, Lindsey Stirling, and Itzhak Perlman's recoding of the Four Seasons just to get a quick feel and it's exactly what I wanted. I don't feel like I'm missing any bass at all, and I love how neutral and detailed it was, even from my quick listening. I could also put my Jotunheim on low gain and barely at 10:00 on the knob, which I think is a record, so I'm feeling optimistic for how they'll sound with my Fiio X3 MkIII. I'll bring them to work tomorrow to try a more detailed listen.

Super excited! More thoughts to follow once I've had time to listen and compose my thoughts.

May 3, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #11,798 of 19,249
The SRs are a truly incredible IEM for the asking price. It's incredibly neutral with the mids being ever so slightly forward compared to the bass and treble. The bass is fast with a speedy decay. It's punchy but never slams. It's not the tightest and fastest bass but it's very very good for a single BA driver. The bass also does not contain any hint of warmth as compared to the XR.

The mid range is 100% effortless transparency. Vocals have some air to them and there is no coloration. It is to note that vocals are placed slightly forward, which is something I enjoy a lot. Instruments have decent layering and you can clearly tell them apart. It does lack defined audible space between instruments...which is too much to ask for at $350. It does a good job at layering and separation though.

The treble has pretty good resolution and clarity. Despite the BA driver having a FR from 20Hz-15kHz, it accurately and realistically portrays instruments especially cymbals.

The only real con I can think of is the small soundstage. Its a very in-the-head experience. Stage width and height is average for an IEM. The depth is not good. However, imaging is never foggy and works with the smaller soundstage.

I think the pros outweigh the cons here. If you enjoy the sound signature, nothing seems to come close to the neutrality of the SR. Even "reference" headphones and IEMs at higher price points tend to have a slight warm tilt with a larger bass presence. I really like Etymotic's take on a reference. It is not that "natural" sounding.

Last edited:
Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
May 4, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #11,799 of 19,249
Managed to get a pair of er-4pt used for a good price. I much perfer them with the P -> S adapter - without it they sound congested and I don't mind the difference in senstiivty even with my phone (S9+) Makes me want to get a ER4-SR now just to see the difference or a er3-XR

Last edited:
May 4, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #11,800 of 19,249
Managed to get a pair of er-4pt used for a good price. I much perfer them with the P -> S adapter - without it they sound congested and I don't mind the difference in senstiivty even with my phone (S9+) Makes me want to get a ER4-SR now just to see the difference lol or a er3-XR

If you like that setup, I would recommend going for the ER4SR. I have the ER4XR and the bass might turn you off seeing how to like the P to S adapter.

May 4, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #11,801 of 19,249
So it looks like there's 15% off on eBay today...was looking for an upgrade/replacement from the Klipsch X11i I used to have (but lost) and may pull the trigger today due to this promo.

Figured this is the place to ask...Would you guys say there is a major difference between the ER3 and ER4 that makes it worth paying almost double the price? Assuming the X11i is my baseline (the only other point of comparison I have right now is the Sony WH-1000XM2 but it's not portable or detailed enough for me most of the time). I'm looking at the XR models right now since while I prefer a flat response I do sometimes listen to music that has an emphasis on bass.

May 4, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #11,802 of 19,249
Figured this is the place to ask...Would you guys say there is a major difference between the ER3 and ER4 that makes it worth paying almost double the price?

I'm quite sure I wrote something regarding that issue in my ER3XR review (https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/etymotic-er3xr.22904/reviews?order=likes&direction=asc#reviews) that I'm too lazy to re-read at the moment. I do however somewhat remember the text, at least most of it.

Less accessories, different production facility (China vs USA), less strict quality control (however it should meet ER4 targets in most if not all cases, but they don't guarantee this), almost similar tuning (minimally darker, a tad more bass), virtually similar technical quality.
Imo especially for the XR, the ER3 series model is the more cost-effective (/"better") solution unless you cannot let go that little extra bit of tonal accuracy.

Jm2C.

May 4, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #11,803 of 19,249
I'm quite sure I wrote something regarding that issue in my ER3XR review (https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/etymotic-er3xr.22904/reviews?order=likes&direction=asc#reviews) that I'm too lazy to re-read at the moment. I do however somewhat remember the text, at least most of it.

Less accessories, different production facility (China vs USA), less strict quality control (however it should meet ER4 targets in most if not all cases, but they don't guarantee this), almost similar tuning (minimally darker, a tad more bass), virtually similar technical quality.
Imo especially for the XR, the ER3 series model is the more cost-effective (/"better") solution unless you cannot let go that little extra bit of tonal accuracy.

Jm2C.

You're also one of the people I want to shot as good as, really nice photos in the rebiew!~~~

I agree with most of those points, amazing what the technical ability of ER3 series is~!

May 4, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #11,804 of 19,249
So it looks like there's 15% off on eBay today...was looking for an upgrade/replacement from the Klipsch X11i I used to have (but lost) and may pull the trigger today due to this promo.

Figured this is the place to ask...Would you guys say there is a major difference between the ER3 and ER4 that makes it worth paying almost double the price? Assuming the X11i is my baseline (the only other point of comparison I have right now is the Sony WH-1000XM2 but it's not portable or detailed enough for me most of the time). I'm looking at the XR models right now since while I prefer a flat response I do sometimes listen to music that has an emphasis on bass.

I agree with everyone above. The only thing I’d offer is that if you’re the type (I’m guilty of this) that see’s a reference IEM like the ER-4 and want it, if you think you’re just trying to appease your desire for that headphone by getting one that’s “basically the same” or “good enough” then I’d say just save now and get the better headphone. Even if you couldn’t hear a difference, that nagging feeling that the 4 might be “just that bit better” ruins the enjoyment of what is probably 95% as good a headphone for what you need.

May 4, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #11,805 of 19,249
Now that I’ve had some time to give the SR’s a serious listen I figured I’d give my 2 cents. I’m very new to the audiophile game, though I was raised with an appreciation for music and a family that had a pretty nice listening setup at home, though they weren’t audiophiles in the strict sense by the time I was born. So don’t take my thoughts too seriously, I just wanted to give the newby perspective.

Cable:
This is something that people complain about a lot, particularly the microphonics and the difficulty with left/right identification. I haven’t listened in low light yet so the ID’ing sides isn’t something I can comment on. I wear them straight down, not over ear. I also don’t use the chin cinch or the shirt clip, and I still don’t have issues with significant microphonics. You can certainly hear minor noises when you brush the cable against something, but it isn’t intrusive or unpleasant to me. My connectors have been solid with no wiggle. Definitely one of those YMMV items.

Comfort:
I think this will improve with time. I’m one of those unfrortunate types with a very vigorous ear wax production, and the first few insertions were hindered by discomfort from having ear wax stick to the flanges. I’m nervous about them pushing ear wax too deep, so I’m limiting duration of insertions for now and taking care to feel for any significant discomfort, but they’re pretty cozy once in. I was amazed at how deep I got them! They definitely take deep insertion to a new level. I can comfortably wear them for around an hour now, and while things like eating are a weird experience, it’s not anything different than getting used to having a large watch on or something similar.

Noise Isolation:
Once inserted, you basically become deaf to the outside world. Great if you don’t have anything you need to hear, but not a headphone I’d wear walking or driving. I’ll be testing them on a transatlantic flight later this month and I’ll report on that compared to my QC35ii’s once it happens.

Sound:
The part that makes all of this worth it. These are the best sounding IEM’s I’ve heard. I don’t have a ton of reference experience, but this sounds like having a straight stream of the raw audio into your brain. No color, no emphasis. I can see how this would seem too analytical and boring to a lot of people, but I’m very impressed. The soundstage isn’t what I’d call huge, but it is distinct and all genre’s of music I’ve tried have been excellent. I have a weird taste in music, so these have seen country, classical, classic rock, some mild hip/hop, rock, jazz, and file types ranging DSD, FLAC, AIFF, and MP3. These are probably the first real headphones that I could hear the difference between these formats in. Vocals are clear and distinct, and stringed instruments sound absolutely clear, with every twang of the strings crystal clear. To use an analogy, for me the HE-400i, iBasso IT-01, Massdrop EDC, AKG M220, and HD-600 have all sounded like being at various tiers of a sports game arena, whereas these feel like being in the first row, with details normally slightly fuzzy rendered in bright detail.

I hope this has been helpful! I’m hoping the comfort thing gets easier with time and that I enjoy these for years!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back