If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Apr 12, 2018 at 3:57 AM Post #11,747 of 19,246
What exactly is known on the differences between the old grey triflanges and the new, 'transparent' ones?

The thing is, that while my old ER4-PTs were still working, I bought a few packs of the grey ones just to have them whenever I need them. Now, while the ER4-SRs sound absolutely phenomenal with the new kind of triflanges, they sound extremely shrill to the point of being uncomfortable to listen to with the grey ones, which is particularly noticeable with big orchestral/choral pieces. I seem to remember someone writing that the change is of a purely aesthetic nature, however, pieces that I've listened to for a year now with the new triflange are almost unlistenable with the old ones.

Anyone else have that? Are the triflanges I still own completely useless with the SRs? :D

Apr 12, 2018 at 5:17 AM Post #11,748 of 19,246
I find the old triflanges break in faster, and the new triflanges feel stiffer at first and took longer time to break in. However, once they are both well broken in, they feel pretty much the same to me.

Apr 12, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #11,749 of 19,246
They sounded exactly the same to me on the XRs when I tried both back to back, but I find the clear ones a tiny bit tackier in feel and a little more malleable/flexible. For some reason the greys sits firmer in my ear, don’t adjust their shape as much when wearing or over time, and I prefer the grey ones. The differences are not huge mind you, but that is what I notice.

Apr 12, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #11,750 of 19,246
Do Comply or Shure olive tips change the sound?

I'm using the small triple fangled tips and while they sound amazing, they don't isolate very well during my subway commute. The insertion is already very uncomfortable and I don't want to push it any deeper.

Apr 12, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #11,751 of 19,246
I had to put the ER4XR monitors back onto the stock cable. The Null Audio connectors spin freely (no notch tab) and easily separate with the slightest pull. I wanted a balanced cable so it seems I'll have to wait for an official Etymotic version. Unless others have recommendations?

I reterminated my Etymotic cable to 2.5mm trrs for use with balanced out from my Earstudio ES100.

I was in the same boat. I had tried other cables but finding one with a 90 degree MMCX connector was tough so I just switched back to stock.

Apr 12, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #11,753 of 19,246
Apr 12, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #11,755 of 19,246
I can give you a comparison to the XR in a couple weeks :) I don't have SR.

Apr 12, 2018 at 9:30 PM Post #11,756 of 19,246
What exactly is known on the differences between the old grey triflanges and the new, 'transparent' ones?

The thing is, that while my old ER4-PTs were still working, I bought a few packs of the grey ones just to have them whenever I need them. Now, while the ER4-SRs sound absolutely phenomenal with the new kind of triflanges, they sound extremely shrill to the point of being uncomfortable to listen to with the grey ones, which is particularly noticeable with big orchestral/choral pieces. I seem to remember someone writing that the change is of a purely aesthetic nature, however, pieces that I've listened to for a year now with the new triflange are almost unlistenable with the old ones.

Anyone else have that? Are the triflanges I still own completely useless with the SRs? :D

I find they sound the same with the same fit and seal, however, for whatever reason the transparent ones are easier for me to seal more easily in my ears. I've gone back and forth a few times and every time the transparent just seem to insert more softly and slide in better. I'm not sure if the material or color has a bit more of a texture on the grey tips? Whatever the difference, they are grippier and harder for me to use. They also seem to deform after a lot of use. I end up with the biggest flange being curled and permanently deformed. That has never happened with the transparent.

So while etymotic says they should be the same, for me there is something in the composition or manufacturing that definitely makes them insert differently. Buy sound-wise they seem identical when they are both fit correctly.

Apr 13, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #11,757 of 19,246
Thanks. I could use that actually.

The bass on the ER4XR was more than I expected!

Ya XR can definitely be a little bass heavy!! It's very welcome on some tracks but for others I feel like it's a little bit much. So what I've been doing is using the ER4-XR's for a few days, and then using the ER4P's for a few days. I like the P's more for some tracks and the XR's more for other tracks, so I'm enjoying both pairs. I'm curious, anyone else out there also switching between them, or maybe the S/SR?

Apr 13, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #11,758 of 19,246
Ya XR can definitely be a little bass heavy!! It's very welcome on some tracks but for others I feel like it's a little bit much. So what I've been doing is using the ER4-XR's for a few days, and then using the ER4P's for a few days. I like the P's more for some tracks and the XR's more for other tracks, so I'm enjoying both pairs. I'm curious, anyone else out there also switching between them, or maybe the S/SR?

That's what I think too. The bass is great for some tracks (mainly acoustic and vocal heavy tracks) but very overwhelming in some others (rock). I'm actually thinking of grabbing a pair of SR (probably the 3SR to save some money) to see how it's like. Man, the JB/DFR/4XR is so smooth though. Literally feels like the person is singing for me. Can't imagine what the 4SR would be like.

Apr 14, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #11,760 of 19,246
My new cable arrived yesterday, and my broken ER4S are now working and sounding amazing again.

Thank you so much to cliOS for the cable recommendation!-Really appreciate that.

I actually have an old pair of ER4P that need a new cable too. Would that cable i bought turn them into ER4S because of the 100ohm or would they still be ER4P? It was this one:

http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=5656

What would be the best one to keep the ER4P sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back