If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Nov 29, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #11,161 of 19,272
I found a IEM that has a similar noise isolation as Etyomtic IEMs have! It is UM Martian! Very different sound, slightly recessed midrange, especially when compared to a mid-forward IEM like ER4-XR, but still quite the excellent isolation. Which reminds me how much I like Ety's isolation when taking a walk in very noisy environments!

Nov 29, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #11,162 of 19,272
Last edited:
Nov 29, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #11,163 of 19,272
Finally got round to slipping a bit of heat shrink tubing on the ER4XR and I can finally tell right from left once more. Even in the dark. :)

As a big fan of the old red and blue connectors, I was sorely tempted to put some blue heat shrink on the other side but the benefit of even being able to tell them apart by feel eventually won out.

I'm a huge fan of the original colored housings. I am still amazed at how well i can see the difference between the blue and red sides even in extremely low lighting conditions. The biggest improvement otherwise would be to add a single dot of plastic on the right earpiece as a way to easily feel it. I'm guessing they haven't done this because it's easier to manufacture identical earpieces and housings and whatnot. Adding a difference in color or physicality would require them to have two parts instead of one for each earphone set.

I personally can use a fingernail to carefully feel the "left" and "right" markings, however they are not very prominent so it takes a minute for me to be sure. Once I feel either one I can tell which side is which, because the words on both always face the behind you.

Anyway, here's a quick mockup of what they would look like colored with the new style. I think it works well... Pardon my horrible fast photoshopping (ok, ok, gimpshop, close enough)...

ER4XR-colored.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #11,164 of 19,272
I don't understand the colour choice. To indicate left/right the colors red (left) and green (right) should be used as per worldwide standard. Red/Blue is used by plumbers and indicates cold/warm,
Everybody who sees red would first think that it must be left side.

Nov 29, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #11,165 of 19,272
I don't understand the colour choice. To indicate left/right the colors red (left) and green (right) should be used as per worldwide standard. Red/Blue is used by plumbers and indicates cold/warm,
Everybody who sees red would first think that it must be left side.

There has never been any officially recognized standard for color coding when it comes to audio channels. However, historically speaking (which dated back decades), red has almost always being used for right channel (mainly because they both start with a 'R'), while white, black, blue and green have all been used for left channel. Thus what you are suggesting (red for left) will actually be counter-intuitive to what most people would recognize/remember.

Nov 30, 2017 at 3:13 AM Post #11,166 of 19,272
I love the idea of colour coding i find it awfully hard but should be easier if the custom fits in ordering work out.

I have the ER4 XR and I just find it unbelievable. If you take the whiplash ost it’s the only iem ive tried so far that can accurately separate the drums.

Question - if I keep these what is the complementary upgrade at the end game level ($1k plus).

To be honest this may sound like heresy, but I trialled the campfire andromeda, Vega (no resolution on top end) and k10 encore. None sounded like a clear and obvious upgrade - perhaps my ears are not good enough? Of course sound was fuller but more detailed? I wouldn’t say so.

It seems like any upgrade would be for musicality, soundstage and a bigger range and definition (eg bass and sub bass).

Nov 30, 2017 at 5:17 AM Post #11,167 of 19,272
Question - if I keep these what is the complementary upgrade at the end game level ($1k plus).

Usually the PP8 is regarded as the upgraded ER4XR/SR. I love my XRs, only thing I would love is a bit more air between the instruments and wider/deeper stage.
You get that with the PP8 at same/similar tonality, but it's a hefty price for a small upgrade.

Nov 30, 2017 at 7:28 AM Post #11,168 of 19,272
Finally got round to slipping a bit of heat shrink tubing on the ER4XR and I can finally tell right from left once more. Even in the dark. :)

As a big fan of the old red and blue connectors, I was sorely tempted to put some blue heat shrink on the other side but the benefit of even being able to tell them apart by feel eventually won out.
Carefully cut thin red electric tape. Sure wish Ety would do something about this R/L thing. Like you said, also (and most importantly) able to differentiate at in the dark.
For those who use the tri-flanges: push the largest flange backwards (towards the front) and use red and blue (or green!) Sharpies to color the back of them. Since on the back, the color stays and doesn't wear out. Still doesn't help much in the dark though!
(when I used to use Comply's instead of Olives, I had the "bright" idea of getting red ones for the right side. Sadly, they quickly went from sorta-red to rusty red and were too ugly!)

IMG_20171130_062303.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #11,169 of 19,272
I love the idea of colour coding i find it awfully hard but should be easier if the custom fits in ordering work out.

I have the ER4 XR and I just find it unbelievable. If you take the whiplash ost it’s the only iem ive tried so far that can accurately separate the drums.

To be honest this may sound like heresy, but I trialled the campfire andromeda, Vega (no resolution on top end) and k10 encore. None sounded like a clear and obvious upgrade - perhaps my ears are not good enough? Of course sound was fuller but more detailed? I wouldn’t say so.

It seems like any upgrade would be for musicality, soundstage and a bigger range and definition (eg bass and sub bass).
I recently picked up a pair of sure se846 And I have not been able to listen to anything else since then It replaces my er-4xr.

Nov 30, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #11,170 of 19,272

Ha that was my first reaction, where is the blue I think I would need it! You make an compelling argument however regarding choosing it by feel so the right call.

Nov 30, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #11,171 of 19,272
There has never been any officially recognized standard for color coding when it comes to audio channels. However, historically speaking (which dated back decades), red has almost always being used for right channel (mainly because they both start with a 'R'), while white, black, blue and green have all been used for left channel. Thus what you are suggesting (red for left) will actually be counter-intuitive to what most people would recognize/remember.

Bingo! The non standard is rather a reflection on the audio industries proponent to contrarianism.

As a personal pref and having been held prisoner on more long flights than I care to recount, a tactile differentiation between left and right channels works wonders. To that end a simple dab of epoxy or jb weld or what have you works a treat. Having said that I am certain some audiots will claim that alters the sound in some unfathomable way and should be avoided at all costs.:)

Nov 30, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #11,172 of 19,272

I can't speak for the audio industry, but the roots of the red and blue with the ER4 go back to the audiometric earphones the we (and others) make for audiological research. In that field, blue for left and red for right is the accepted convention. Since work in the hearing industry is where Etymotic is rooted, some of those conventions followed into our consumer offerings.

Nov 30, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #11,173 of 19,272
I can't speak for the audio industry, but the roots of the red and blue with the ER4 go back to the audiometric earphones the we (and others) make for audiological research. In that field, blue for left and red for right is the accepted convention. Since work in the hearing industry is where Etymotic is rooted, some of those conventions followed into our consumer offerings.

...And being HEARING biased one would think that a tactile system rather than a VISUAL system would have been the way to go:)

Just saying:)

Nov 30, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #11,174 of 19,272
...And being HEARING biased one would think that a tactile system rather than a VISUAL system would have been the way to go:)

Just saying:)

Well, auditory cues would be best. :ksc75smile:

Nov 30, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #11,175 of 19,272
after 2 weeks and the tracking stuck next town, Amazon informed me about a non zero possibility that gremlins have taken the package containing my ER3-XR to Narnia and won't come back until Groot, Hodor and Pikachu learn to sing the national anthem. so I'm asked if I want them to send skilled hobbits adventurers with a new pair and hope for better luck, or if I want my money back and instead purchase tissue to cry into. that moment when you have to tell Amazon that indeed you are interested in getting the stuff you bought ^_^. mind blown.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back