If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Nov 14, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #11,058 of 19,246
LOOKING FOR ADVICE!
I'm a very happy ER4SR user (wow.. they just released new midrange ER3's!), and you all know how great it is to hear music without any outside noise! My home phones, AKG 712 Pro's are also faves of mine (I use my Peachtree Nova 150's HPA), but they're Extremely open phones. So I have to turn off the fridge and furnace to truly enjoy them.
SO... I was hoping I might get some suggestions on excellent closed back phones... They don't need to be nearly as silent as the Ety's, but enough to not hear the fridge running. I'm not a basshead.. want clean, neutral sound. Not looking for electronic noise cancellation either.
Thanks for your thoughts folks!!
Whoops.. should have put a price range: Don't want to spend much (I don't use at home too often), maybe in the the <$350 range. Thanks.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #11,059 of 19,246
LOOKING FOR ADVICE!
I'm a very happy ER4SR user (wow.. they just released new midrange ER3's!), and you all know how great it is to hear music without any outside noise! My home phones, AKG 712 Pro's are also faves of mine (I use my Peachtree Nova 150's HPA), but they're Extremely open phones. So I have to turn off the fridge and furnace to truly enjoy them.
SO... I was hoping I might get some suggestions on excellent closed back phones... They don't need to be nearly as silent as the Ety's, but enough to not hear the fridge running. I'm not a basshead.. want clean, neutral sound. Not looking for electronic noise cancellation either.

Ultrasone Signature Studio might satisfy you

https://audiophile-heaven.blogspot....ure-studio-exquisite-eccentric-excellent.html

Nov 14, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #11,061 of 19,246
LOOKING FOR ADVICE!
Whoops.. should have put a price range: Don't want to spend much (I don't use at home too often), maybe in the the <$350 range. Thanks.

Full-sized headphones? How about the Shure SRH440? It isolates well, sounds rather neutral (just a slight upper bass hump adding a little kick to the music, but slightly tinny/canny mids that are not that uncommon for closed HPs) and is, well at least for me, comfortable. Its only real flaw is that it definitely rolls off towards the sub-bass.
I have no real idea about rather neutral sounding, well-isolating, higher-end closed-back headphones though.

Nov 14, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #11,062 of 19,246
Thanks! I just added a 'budget' to my post.. looking for under $350. These look nice though!

At this price it might be tricky for something that isolates well...

You might want to look into Ultrasone Dj One or Dj One Pro series. Both are quite nice, but both are a bit U shaped in their sound, with strong bass and treble. Really good buys at their price, each of them.

Full-sized headphones? How about the Shure SRH440? It isolates well, sounds rather neutral (just a slight upper bass hump adding a little kick to the music, but slightly tinny/canny mids that are not that uncommon for closed HPs) and is, well at least for me, comfortable. Its only real flaw is that it definitely rolls off towards the sub-bass.
I have no real idea about rather neutral sounding, well-isolating, higher-end closed-back headphones though.

Never heard them before, but they seem like a good idea from the way other people describe them.

I'd also add AKG K550 for their sound, but not sure about their isolation. Maybe something from Audio Tehnica, like A900X for sound as well, but again, not sure about their isolation.

Nov 14, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #11,064 of 19,246
I've been using an Oppo PM-3. It isolates well and has a very neutral sound minus some treble roll off. Its $400 new, but you should be able to find it used in your budget.

I believe the Meze is quite colored from what I've read. But I know a lot of people like it.

Nov 14, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #11,066 of 19,246
Thanks guys. Was thinking of the K550's
Any thoughts on Meze 99 Classics

Meze 99 Classics are stronger in the bass and have a smoother top end, fun rather than neutral sounding. We tried to give you some advice based on a signature that might work better with what you have right now.

Meze 99 classic can sound sublime if EQ'ed. I'm using something like +10 dB of 16 kHz in it and -5dB of 100 Hz or so. Makes them lighter, quicker and clearer to do this. Responds well to EQ. You have to understrand EQ profiles and be comfortable using those for 99C. They isolate fairly well!

The AKG is a great suggestion, George. I totally forgot about it, and I think it also isolates rather well.

I think you could also add the ATH-MSR7 to your list, Dougr33.

Heard many good things about them! Sadly, they haven't been available for an audition anywhere here...

Nov 14, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #11,068 of 19,246
LOOKING FOR ADVICE!

I'm kind of curious why you wouldn't just use the ER4SRs at home. I had a pair of closed Denon AH-D2000 phones for work, so I wouldn't disturb my co-workers, but now that I work at home, and don't need to quickly pull off headphones to answer a question, I just use my ER4SRs. I think the Denons are a good closed back headphone and not that expensive, if you get some of the lower end models.

Nov 14, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #11,069 of 19,246
I'm kind of curious why you wouldn't just use the ER4SRs at home. I had a pair of closed Denon AH-D2000 phones for work, so I wouldn't disturb my co-workers, but now that I work at home, and don't need to quickly pull off headphones to answer a question, I just use my ER4SRs. I think the Denons are a good closed back headphone and not that expensive, if you get some of the lower end models.
1) like to keep them packed in my bag, 2) would need a long extension for my room, 3) almost too noise-reducing for the house.
Just ordered the AKG K550 mkIII's. I'll have in 2 days, so let y'all know.
THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR TIME AND SUGGESTIONS!

Nov 14, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #11,070 of 19,246
Just wanted to drop in and say hi to everybody. I haven't been around as much lately, which seems to happen from time to time when I get bogged down. Hope everybody has been doing well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back