If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jan 31, 2017 at 1:17 AM Post #10,306 of 19,256
It appears that we can now buy the new generations ER4 replacement cable without needing to send our iem back. Can we by any chance buy replacement cable for our first generation cable too? I really dont want my IEM to be shipped, it is not that I dont want to pay for shipping, I really dont care I just cant risk loosing an item that I have owned for a decade now, an item that now has sentimental value to me.

Jan 31, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #10,307 of 19,256
  It appears that we can now buy the new generations ER4 replacement cable without needing to send our iem back. Can we by any chance buy replacement cable for our first generation cable too? I really dont want my IEM to be shipped, it is not that I dont want to pay for shipping, I really dont care I just cant risk loosing an item that I have owned for a decade now, and item that now has sentimental value to me.

Even though the first generation cables obviously are replaced by users all the time, they were never really considered user replaceable.  I don't think they are going to be selling them without sending in the earpohones, but I would recommend contacting customer service and explaining your situation.  Maybe they can work something out.  It never hurts to try.

Jan 31, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #10,309 of 19,256
  @EtyDave: any news on the testing/availability of the balanced cable?

The samples looked good, but we haven't received production parts yet.  I'll keep everybody posted when I know more.

Jan 31, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #10,310 of 19,256

The samples looked good, but we haven't received production parts yet.  I'll keep everybody posted when I know more.

Have you considered simply using 3rd party cables and making them part of the corporate offering?

Jan 31, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #10,311 of 19,256

Have you considered simply using 3rd party cables and making them part of the corporate offering?

It's not out of the realm of possibility but it would have to bring something different and fit with our company identity.  We're not prone to a lot of hyperbole, so there are plenty of 3rd party options that likely wouldn't be a good pairing.  It would likely have to be some combination of form, fit and function that we felt was different enough and provided value to the customer.

Jan 31, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #10,312 of 19,256
Maybe a cable with built in over ear guides with a longer V (top T and L cable length) to compensate for over ear use. "Try our new over ear cable for your trusty old Er4's!" For the low price of....! More comfort and less micro phonics. A win win! Run, don't walk to your nearest computer and pick one up!

Jan 31, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #10,313 of 19,256
Maybe a cable with built in over ear guides with a longer V (top T and L cable length) to compensate for over ear use. "Try our new over ear cable for your trusty old Er4's!" For the low price of....! More comfort and less micro phonics. A win win! Run, don't walk to your nearest computer and pick one up!

I'm guessing that any offerings would be related to the new series.  There are already quite a lot of aftermarket cables out there for the originals, so I think that there are likely enough options for those already.

Feb 2, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #10,315 of 19,256
So I just got my pair of ER4SRs today in the mail and I would like to share some first impressions with everyone.

The packaging is beautiful and the 'phones themselves come with plenty of accessories. The documentation is a nice touch as well.

Before I get into the initial impressions of sound quality I just want to comment that these are the most uncomfortable tips I have ever worn. I am still trying to figure out a way to make them more comfy, right now I'm using the foams but they don't seem to insert as deeply (maybe they aren't supposed to?).

As far as sound, I want to use a hypothetical situation to try and describe these. Imagine you have a bunch of windows in front of you; some warped, some have a different hue, and some are dirty. These windows represent different sound signatures and different quality 'phones. Some people may find it nice to have a window that's slightly tinted or hued.
Now when I listened to the ER4SR I got the sense that I was hearing the music as it was meant to be heard. So in the comparison above I would say the ER4SR give you a clean and undistorted (almost windowless) view at the audio that you are listening to. With other headphones certain frequencies are accentuated, but the ER4SR doesn't accentuate anything. It allows the full sound to come through equally. Each sound is recognizable and compliments each other without masking any detail.

So far I am beyond impressed with the SQ.

If anyone has any suggestions for better tips I'm all ears (pun intended). So far the foams seem the most comfortable but they don't make it that deep. the smaller plastic tips feel better than the larger clear tips but still feel like I'm about to tear my skin when I pull them out.

Feb 2, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #10,316 of 19,256
I would like one more clarification concerning the new models:

I've compared the frequency response curves of my ER-4PTs to the curves of the new ER4-XR and ER4-SR, and I've noticed that, in fact, the frequency reponse curve of the ER4-SR is basically the same curve as the one of my PTs, except for being shifted down for a few dBs, whereas the curve of the ER4-XRs increases way more for the lower frequencies than the one of the PTs (while also being, mainly, a shifted-down version of the original PT-curve).Does this mean that soundwise, the SR is more similar to the ER4-PTs than the XR, except for being a little quieter (i.e. less loud) over-all? Or how can I interpret this?

Feb 2, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #10,317 of 19,256
  So I just got my pair of ER4SRs today in the mail and I would like to share some first impressions with everyone.

The packaging is beautiful and the 'phones themselves come with plenty of accessories. The documentation is a nice touch as well.

Before I get into the initial impressions of sound quality I just want to comment that these are the most uncomfortable tips I have ever worn. I am still trying to figure out a way to make them more comfy, right now I'm using the foams but they don't seem to insert as deeply (maybe they aren't supposed to?).

As far as sound, I want to use a hypothetical situation to try and describe these. Imagine you have a bunch of windows in front of you; some warped, some have a different hue, and some are dirty. These windows represent different sound signatures and different quality 'phones. Some people may find it nice to have a window that's slightly tinted or hued.
Now when I listened to the ER4SR I got the sense that I was hearing the music as it was meant to be heard. So in the comparison above I would say the ER4SR give you a clean and undistorted (almost windowless) view at the audio that you are listening to. With other headphones certain frequencies are accentuated, but the ER4SR doesn't accentuate anything. It allows the full sound to come through equally. Each sound is recognizable and compliments each other without masking any detail.

So far I am beyond impressed with the SQ.

If anyone has any suggestions for better tips I'm all ears (pun intended). So far the foams seem the most comfortable but they don't make it that deep. the smaller plastic tips feel better than the larger clear tips but still feel like I'm about to tear my skin when I pull them out.

I am a fan of Comply tips. Their P100's are fantastic on my Ety's. As far as the stock tips go I like the gliders the most, then the foams, and then the tri-flange. The tri-flange do break in and get softer over time.

I would like one more clarification concerning the new models:

I've compared the frequency response curves of my ER-4PTs to the curves of the new ER4-XR and ER4-SR, and I've noticed that, in fact, the frequency reponse curve of the ER4-SR is basically the same curve as the one of my PTs, except for being shifted down for a few dBs, whereas the curve of the ER4-XRs increases way more for the lower frequencies than the one of the PTs (while also being, mainly, a shifted-down version of the original PT-curve).Does this mean that soundwise, the SR is more similar to the ER4-PTs than the XR, except for being a little quieter (i.e. less loud) over-all? Or how can I interpret this?

The SR are closest to the S models. The P's would have slightly reduced treble compared to either of them. That's what gives them a "warmer" sound. The XR should have treble closer to the SR/S models but with extra bass. At least from what I've read. In other words the S/SR/P are closer together signature wise. The XR has a bass boost switched on from the factory compared to the others. I have a set of P's with the P to S adapter and haven't decided which one of the new ones I want to try first. haha.

Feb 2, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #10,318 of 19,256

I am a fan of Comply tips. Their P100's are fantastic on my Ety's. As far as the stock tips go I like the gliders the most, then the foams, and then the tri-flange. The tri-flange do break in and get softer over time.

The SR are closest to the S models. The P's would have slightly reduced treble compared to either of them. That's what gives them a "warmer" sound. The XR should have treble closer to the SR/S models but with extra bass. At least from what I've read. In other words the S/SR/P are closer together signature wise. The XR has a bass boost switched on from the factory compared to the others. I have a set of P's with the P to S adapter and haven't decided which one of the new ones I want to try first. haha.

You know I actually almost ordered the ER4PT but I settled on the SR for the newer features. I'm pretty happy with the SR in my brief few hours with it. Would you happen to have any song recommendations that sound good on your Etys? 

Feb 2, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #10,319 of 19,256

You know I actually almost ordered the ER4PT but I settled on the SR for the newer features. I'm pretty happy with the SR in my brief few hours with it. Would you happen to have any song recommendations that sound good on your Etys? 

I don't listen to music like most people. I listen from more of a (hobbyist/semi-pro) mixing engineer perspective. So I like really well recorded and mastered stuff. Which really stands out on a more neutral phone like the ety's. Everything just sounds right on them.  What kind of music do you like? Maybe I can recommend something in that genre that I really like.

Feb 2, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #10,320 of 19,256

I don't listen to music like most people. I listen from more of a (hobbyist/semi-pro) mixing engineer perspective. So I like really well recorded and mastered stuff. Which really stands out on a more neutral phone like the ety's. Everything just sounds right on them.  What kind of music do you like? Maybe I can recommend something in that genre that I really like.

I listen to a lot of different genres but my favorites are grunge, electronic, jazz, classical, and a little bit of rap (love aesop rock)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back