If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Feb 7, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #10,338 of 19,272
This is true.

Some brands have this type of switch as s work around. Inear Prophole-8 is an example.

Well maybe if you slide EtyDave the 1200 buck difference he will cobble up a switch just for you.
biggrin.gif

Feb 7, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #10,339 of 19,272
This is true.

Some brands have this type of switch as s work around. Inear Prophole-8 is an example.

Noble tried it, but dropped it as it didn't prove popular. I'm sure that one of the options would become a permanent preference and you'd be paying a lot more for something that you don't want.

Feb 7, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #10,340 of 19,272
Just put an SR driver in one ear and an XR driver in the other and switch ears every 5 minutes.

Feb 7, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #10,341 of 19,272
Noble tried it, but dropped it as it didn't prove popular. I'm sure that one of the options would become a permanent preference and you'd be paying a lot more for something that you don't want.

Empire Ears has done his with their Zeus XR. IMO it's fantastic. 2 for a bit more than 1. As long as we're compare Zeus' prices. Obviously a bit more than ety's. Just saying it can be done well, and in a way that's worth it.

Feb 8, 2017 at 2:32 AM Post #10,342 of 19,272

Empire Ears has done his with their Zeus XR. IMO it's fantastic. 2 for a bit more than 1. As long as we're compare Zeus' prices. Obviously a bit more than ety's. Just saying it can be done well, and in a way that's worth it.

yeah, 28 drivers at a ludicrous price in a huge IEM! that's Etymotic style right there. almost no acoustic work and plenty of crossovers just the way they've always done it
biggrin.gif

Feb 8, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #10,344 of 19,272
yeah, 28 drivers at a ludicrous price in a huge IEM! that's Etymotic style right there. almost no acoustic work and plenty of crossovers just the way they've always done it :D .

Yeah it is silly I have so many drivers. The only reason to have duplicates covering the save frequency would be to lower the distortion. I don't see the point and I would be more worried about the crossover and time aliment issues.

Feb 8, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #10,345 of 19,272
Yeah it is silly I have so many drivers. The only reason to have duplicates covering the save frequency would be to lower the distortion. I don't see the point and I would be more worried about the crossover and time aliment issues.

What you have not twigged to is the obvious genius behind the design. The zillion driver schema actually acts as an R2R resistor ladder, thereby building the DAC right into the IEM.
wink.gif

Feb 8, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #10,346 of 19,272
This is true.

I don't know for certain, but I'm going to take a guess that the switches are making an electrical adjustment and not an acoustic one. 

Feb 8, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #10,347 of 19,272

Well maybe if you slide EtyDave the 1200 buck difference he will cobble up a switch just for you.
biggrin.gif

Absolutely!  For $1200, I can do a really robust switch solution.

Is it OK if I use a knife switch?

Feb 8, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #10,348 of 19,272

Dave,

I sent Rick an email on the 28th and a follow up PM on the 1st and no response. Any idea what's going on?

That's unusual.  He's usually responsive, but he does get a lot of folks contacting him.  Unfortunately, he's out at a trade show until Monday, but I'll follow-up with him when he gets back and we'll get you on track.  Can you do me a favor and send me a PM so I don't forget?  I also occasionally get busy and want to make sure it's not dropped again.

Thanks,

Dave

Feb 8, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #10,349 of 19,272
  Just put an SR driver in one ear and an XR driver in the other and switch ears every 5 minutes.

Actually, it would be possible to make a larger shell and put one of each driver in there with a switch.

The 1dB channel matching would probably not be terribly practical, however.

Feb 8, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #10,350 of 19,272

Absolutely!  For $1200, I can do a really robust switch solution.

Is it OK if I use a knife switch?

Absolutely! As long as it connects signal before ground of course.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back