If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Feb 8, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #10,351 of 19,272

Absolutely! As long as it connects signal before ground of course.
wink.gif

Unfortunately, that is a "break-long-before-make" switch.  I suppose we could weld one a piece of metal to make sure the signal side hits first. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 8, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #10,352 of 19,272
I did post this awhile ago: an old ER4 clone with B-S-P selector - a true 3-in-1 IEM.

Quote:
  Without further ado...

Feb 8, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #10,353 of 19,272

Unfortunately, that is a "break-long-before-make" switch.  I suppose we could weld one a piece of metal to make sure the signal side hits first. 
biggrin.gif

Perfect! That will open up the opportunity for a resistor so you can offer it to legacy ER4p to s users as well.

Feb 8, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #10,354 of 19,272
Heck, the cable's removable - why not buy a second set of drivers without the cable and just switch? That sounds wonderfully practical.

Feb 8, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #10,356 of 19,272

Perfect! That will open up the opportunity for a resistor so you can offer it to legacy ER4p to s users as well.

Sure, that'll help defray some of the development cost. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 8, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #10,359 of 19,272
That would be awesome, thanks! I've never messed with equalizers before, so I guess if you could give me some tips to how you EQ it down, that would be helpful.

Your preferences sound about how I felt between the two (I originally bought both XR and SR, and returned the SR... While I liked the accuracy of the SR, I felt it was very similar to the S, while the XR was fun and full-bodied sounding while filling its own niche). If I could EQ the XR to sound like the SR, like a more full-sounding S, that would be really nifty.

The answer to this question is yes you can EQ them to sound the same tonally BUT I lost a lot of resolution doing it with just iTunes eq. If you had a good plug in it might work better. I would not recommend it. Using heavy eq both became pretty average and lost their sparkle in both the mids and highs.

With that being said it is better to eq up the SR than EQ down the XR. The XR seems to have more distortion in the bass and around 1k. It shows itself when you start EQing them.

All in all I feel the SR is a little more refined with less stress in the mids and more accurate tonally, UMMV.

I used my etys on my main rig for the first time and I have to say they really opened up on the 2watt Burson and wyred 4 sound dac2. It inspired me to do a little 5 way battle, ER4SR,ER4XR, Grado PS500e, Focal Elear, and my Thiel 2.4/JL audio sub combo because they are all in the same room... I came away more impressed with the ER4SR than I was before. Really shocked with how good these are.

Maybe I will write a little quick comparison for all those people that start speaker vs headphones vs IEM threads lol.

Feb 8, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #10,360 of 19,272

EtyDave when can we expect multi driver etymotic flagship that can cover 20hz to 20khz flat

ER4SR already cover 20Hz to 20kHz flat to human hearing. If you are referring 'flat' as in a straight line in FR curve, it will just sound completely unnatural to human.

Feb 9, 2017 at 8:11 AM Post #10,362 of 19,272
Er4sr cover 20-16 000 with 3-4db db drop at 20 hz, I was thinking for something without any drop off from 20-20 000 diffused field compensated

You do realize you are just describing an ER4B since it is probably still the best diffused field matched headphone ever? Besides, I think you need to think more about natural hearing loss than complete flatness when you get higher and higher after 16kHz.

Feb 9, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #10,365 of 19,272
Not sure I would put much faith in that measurement. What is the compensation? There are a few customer measurements that look terrible. Time will tell as they are pretty new. Pricy too at $2000 or more.

yes they are expensive, i think etymotic are able to tune their in ears very well with only one driver, i am very curious what they can do with double or triple driver design with their knowledge and experience

Users who are viewing this thread

Back