If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Dec 14, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #10,051 of 19,247
No bassy headphones to compare with but I can feel that line well enough on the SR. Id say loudness puts it at 30-40% max focus next to the rest of the music. How accurate it sounds Im not sure but I thought it sounded quite pleasing and loud enough to be heard without trying to pinpoint it.

The more I listen to the SR, the more I want to say it will not disappoint anyone looking for a warm overtone to neutrality. It has just enough warmth that nothing is shrill.

Dec 14, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #10,052 of 19,247
That's a good percent. Do you find the song shouty at all overall? I feel Etys wouldn't be bad with ambient in general since a lot of the resonances come from lower mids which are relatively deemphasized.

Dec 14, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #10,054 of 19,247
  To the Shure olives/ER-4 combo lovers out there, Shure has apparently modified the plastic conduit of its black foam tips recently, from a conventional round shape to an hexagonal/star one.

These are now way easier to install/uninstall, which is great since the older tip had a very tight grip on Ety nozzles and required a couple minutes of fiddling/adjusting to be placed right on the earpiece.

Where did you happen to order these from? I am very interested in ordering them, but I want to be sure I receive the redesigned ones and not remaining stock of the old design.

Dec 14, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #10,055 of 19,247
That's a good percent. Do you find the song shouty at all overall? I feel Etys wouldn't be bad with ambient in general since a lot of the resonances come from lower mids which are relatively deemphasized.

I should say more like 30% safely as not to disappoint you. I can't gauge it exactly but it's sort of in between background and present, just a bit behind the rest of the music in terms of focus. The point is that I'm not searching for it, it's not veiled imo; it's clear and felt just enough. But if you're used to stuff like that being the most forward part then the SR is not that headphone. Luckily if you wish to try it you can always return it!

Ety's in general might be a bit shoutier than most headphones, but everything I've heard sounds pretty natural. I wouldn't call the SR shouty, but again more than most headhones. And really, I'd rather a shouty sound than V-shaped which can sometimes suffocate the music, but that's just my bias especially since I'm tied to my HD 201, the king of shoutiness (just look up the freq chart on innerfidelity).

I'm kind of inexperienced with high end headphones so my idea of headphone balance isn't well defined, but all frequencies seem really well balanced, like nothing really stands out like a sore thumb. There's may be a tiny bit much mid transparency here and there as dentreviews said in his review, but it isn't obvious and can only be pleasant which is a plus imo. It's kind of weird because I don't think this exact type of mid transparency sounds super natural (even though the whole mid range is more natural than 90%+ all headphones on the market, so this is more a comparison to the ER4S and real life than other headphones, lmao), but again it's really pleasing. I'd usually take the transparency over the precise bite of the ER4S, even though that quality gives the ER4S a really uniquely detailed and real sound. The ER4S gives guitars and instruments in general a nice texture, but sometimes the treble overall just feels a bit much. 

So far I'd say if you want a more analytical but not shrill approach to electronic or ambient, I couldn't knock the SR. I think it does bass and mid detail dynamics splendidly; probably better than any headphone I've heard. But it might not be punchy enough, even though there is punch, just not a high level.  

What the ER4s in general have done to me is implanted this desire to reach the perfectly natural sound which is pretty much conceptual when it comes to headphones. Some have come close but not quite. So when I nit pick at whatever part of the freq response its like, not even close to as a big of a deal as the flaws in other headphones. The Sennheiser IE6 for example, is waaay too bassy and then sibilant at 6 KHz to boot.  

Dec 15, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #10,056 of 19,247
Just got the SR in. Sounds great, but is it weird I find it to sound more like the XR than the ER4S? I guess amping really does have a huge effect, because I dont use a dedicated and think the er4s might suffer as a result.

Out of my phone, the er4s sounds noticeably airier/clearer, but to the point of a bit of sibilance. ER4SR imo has more lower end and overall more pleasing. Id even say more balanced because I always thought the ER4S was a few touches too cold.

if the music doesn't have much subs it's really not a surprise that the SR would feel like the XR ^_^. and for everything else before making any conclusion about anything, I'd suggest finding a reliable method(as in absolutely not by ear) to match the levels.

Dec 15, 2016 at 12:41 AM Post #10,057 of 19,247

if the music doesn't have much subs it's really not a surprise that the SR would feel like the XR ^_^. and for everything else before making any conclusion about anything, I'd suggest finding a reliable method(as in absolutely not by ear) to match the levels.

I'll do my best to keep levels similar. I think the extra SR warmth might come from me feeling comfortable turning the volume up, whereas the bright treble of the ER4S stops me from going far even though sound pressure level overall is less. Nevertheless, freq graphs do show the lower end having slightly more relative presence compared to the ER4S, so there's both data and subjectivity confirming this. And I could instantly hear a difference between the ER4S and ER4SR and knew that difference regardless of volume level. 

I don't have the XR anymore but I do remember the treble being less defined compared to the ER4S, and I'm hearing a similar thing with the SR. The main difference I think is the XR is weightier and even smoother than the SR. Probably better mid detail with the SR.

Dec 15, 2016 at 1:14 AM Post #10,058 of 19,247
I personally care more about bass extension than treble. I listen to a lot of dub (and some dubstep) where the bass moves in a fluid motion and without a flat bass response it sounds like mud and I hate ill defined bass. That's one of the reasons why I've owned the RE-262 for the longest time, the bass is so flat, so deep, and wonderfully textured.. simply beautiful. Something that's very difficult to come by in an IEM. I ultimately got rid of it for other reasons.

Dec 15, 2016 at 1:22 AM Post #10,060 of 19,247
I personally care more about bass extension than treble. I listen to a lot of dub (and some dubstep) where the bass moves in a fluid motion and without a flat bass response it sounds like mud and I hate ill defined bass. That's one of the reasons why I've owned the RE-262 for the longest time, the bass is so flat, so deep, and wonderfully textured.. simply beautiful. Something that's very difficult to come by in an IEM. I ultimately got rid of it for other reasons.

Bass extension I'm not 100% sure on besides knowing I do hear sub and can see that it isn't wildly rolled off in freq graphs, but I can tell you the bass sounds well defined and detailed with the SR.

I owned the RE-400 temporarily, and yeah the bass quality and extension was pretty damn good, but at times I thought the music was a bit suffocated whether by the bass or an unbalanced treble. The SR, if compared to the RE-400, fixes any of those problems while still providing great bass imaging and detail. The bass isn't quite as loud or in your face as the RE-400, but it's present enough to be considered a healthy part of the mix. 

Take my words with a grain of salt because I'm no audio engineer (though I'm seriously considering it as a career path).

Dec 15, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #10,061 of 19,247
I can tell the SR will be missing that last bit of heft in the bass but a lot of IEMs hit really close to that full extension and miss the very bottom, RE-400 included. My Vsonic VC1000 was like that as well. What I don't like and I don't know if it's just me but those hifiman earphones the 400, 600, 262 and 272 all have midranges boosted to 2khz followed by a drop off which results in mild shoutiness and I can't stand it because it takes away from otherwise great IEMs. Sorry I had to rant about that lol.

Dec 15, 2016 at 1:54 AM Post #10,062 of 19,247
I can tell the SR will be missing that last bit of heft in the bass but a lot of IEMs hit really close to that full extension and miss the very bottom, RE-400 included. My Vsonic VC1000 was like that as well. What I don't like and I don't know if it's just me but those hifiman earphones the 400, 600, 262 and 272 all have midranges boosted to 2khz followed by a drop off which results in mild shoutiness and I can't stand it because it takes away from otherwise great IEMs. Sorry I had to rant about that lol.

Have you looked at the full measurements pdf on innerfidelity? When I was looking for headphones to replace my broken IE 6, I went through literally every in-ear (lmao). The Heaven II was what I initially landed on and really I'd be happy with that or the RE-400 atm, but then I tried the ER4PT for the hell of it and was blown away by the clarity. It was a new dimension I didn't know existed in IEM sound quality. That led me to this thread and then eventually the ER4SR. So I think you should be able to find a more subby IEM with enough digging around.

Dec 15, 2016 at 2:12 AM Post #10,063 of 19,247
I have looked at a good amount of those measurements. It's kind of a hit and miss with them though because I owned IEMs like the TDK BA200 it has a clear bass hump and innerfidelity shows the bass as flat. Goldenears, despite my ragging on them earlier, regardless of the smoothing is sometimes more accurate. I know exactly what my perfect frequency response would be though.. I haven't calculated the dB levels but I know where the dips would be haha.

Dec 15, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #10,064 of 19,247

Where did you happen to order these from? I am very interested in ordering them, but I want to be sure I receive the redesigned ones and not remaining stock of the old design.

Ordered them at thomann.de about a week ago, I wasn't aware of the redesign until I got my package.

That's pretty sick, wonder if it's an intentional x out of every 100 sets or a mistake on Ety's part.

This unit was ordered on the day of release of the new ER-4, so probably an "early batch" glitch? Maybe
@EtyDave has an idea? It could also be fun to see limited editions of the ER-4 with silver housings, etc etc.

Glad you like your new toy btw! 
wink.gif

Dec 15, 2016 at 5:53 AM Post #10,065 of 19,247
Do certain cymbals sound REALLY loud with the SR for anyone else? Usually cymbals are fine but every once in a while it scares me, like why is that so loud. I think the spiking is around or above 10 KHz. It legit makes no sense because it sometimes sounds like louder than the rest of the music. I guess the ER4S has a similar thing going, but it sticks out more with the ER4SR because it heavily contrasts the rest of the sound whereas it sounds more natural in the bright ER4S treble.

Test track is "The Genesis of These Scars" right at the beginning. If you have an SR tell me whether that (hi hat?) sounds too piercing. 

That hi hat is centered with the ER4S, but louder on the left channel of the ER4SR. I wonder which one has the imbalanced channel...

edit: And I just realized why my SR sounds so warm. the 10 khz bump is at least 3 db lower than average spec on both channels. I legit have a warm special edition SR. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back