If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Oct 13, 2016 at 6:27 AM Post #9,572 of 19,248
  Ah, the heck with it.  I ordered the XR from B&H; they should be here on Friday.

Just dont think about it. I bought er4pt recently just because of the price and i didnt even open the box (i i use old er4s) and it is fine. no big deal :) 

Oct 13, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #9,573 of 19,248
  Just dont think about it. I bought er4pt recently just because of the price and i didnt even open the box (i i use old er4s) and it is fine. no big deal :) 

You're EVIL 
biggrin.gif

Oct 13, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #9,574 of 19,248
Hi,

I am curious if anyone that has experience with either ER4SR or XR also has/had Senn IE80.  The Senn is currently my favorite IEM but I had an Ety ER4 years ago (lost it) which I loved and am thinking of jumping back in.  That said, I have no issues with my Senn so the new Ety would just be for variety.

Anyways, I would be interested in any comparisons if anyone is able to do so.  Thanks.

Oct 13, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #9,575 of 19,248
  Hi,

I am curious if anyone that has experience with either ER4SR or XR also has/had Senn IE80.  The Senn is currently my favorite IEM but I had an Ety ER4 years ago (lost it) which I loved and am thinking of jumping back in.  That said, I have no issues with my Senn so the new Ety would just be for variety.

Anyways, I would be interested in any comparisons if anyone is able to do so.  Thanks.

I have both er4sr and IE80, and love both for VERY different reasons, but comparison... they both have a detachable cable, aaaannnnd we're done. ^_^
 seriously everything is so extremely different, one of the best isolation you can get on ety, VS a very average isolation on the IE80(for some it's a good thing, for others it's hard to stand). the er4 is centered on strong mids(to compensate part of the ear resonance that's missing with IEM blablablah), while the mids on the IE80 are the most recessed part of the signature. even compared to the XR the bass on the IE80 is more centered on mid bass and at a magnitude that I would bet will make the XR sound like it doesn't have any bass in side by side listening.
I'm trying here, but really there is nothing even in the signature that can be seen as common to both IEMs to use as a reference for the rest.
oh and the er4 has a small tube for the tips(100 in comply size) while the IE80 is more like 400 or 500. the IE80 can't go deep, the ER4 must go very deep...
we could spend the day listing what is not the same. if you're looking for opposites, then yes the ER4 is one serious candidate.

Oct 14, 2016 at 3:49 AM Post #9,578 of 19,248
I demoed the SR and XR today and I must say I found the XR stunning. Seal and isolation as unbelievable with the triple flange tips.
Found the SR a bit thin on the lower end, so the XR suited my taste very nicely. 
And very nice that they have 45 Ohm and 98db SPL so that they are still easy to drive without amp and at the same time not sensitive for hissing. Never understood why mkers nowadays produce a lot of the supersensitive IEMs with specs like 12Ohm and 125db SPL which will be hissing on pretty much any source. Etymotic doing a lot of things right with these new models, especially at that price point.

Oct 14, 2016 at 4:26 AM Post #9,579 of 19,248
I bought the ER4SR during CanJam at RMAF. This is the first Ety IEM I've heard and I freaking love this thing.

I liked the SR over the XR since I found the XR to have a little too much bass for my preferences.

Congrats on your purchase! Looks like you got a pretty solid pair! 
etysmile.gif

And very nice that they have 45 Ohm and 98db SPL so that they are still easy to drive without amp and at the same time not sensitive for hissing. Never understood why mkers nowadays produce a lot of the supersensitive IEMs with specs like 12Ohm and 125db SPL which will be hissing on pretty much any source. Etymotic doing a lot of things right with these new models, especially at that price point.

Can't agree more. All those $1K, multiple-driver IEM with less than 10 ohm impedance and super efficient drivers, yet people still find it necessary to use a super DAC/AMP to 'power' the monster to eventually complain about hiss issues. Funny to watch.

Oct 14, 2016 at 5:20 AM Post #9,580 of 19,248
I demoed the SR and XR today and I must say I found the XR stunning. Seal and isolation as unbelievable with the triple flange tips.
Found the SR a bit thin on the lower end, so the XR suited my taste very nicely. 

Well, you have to watch what the sensitivity number is measured from. Most in-ears are measured at dB SPL/mW. Etymotic measured the ER4SR at 0.1 V. Translating it to mW, I get around 111.5 dB SPL/mW at 45 ohms.

Oct 14, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #9,582 of 19,248
Quote:
I bought the ER4SR during CanJam at RMAF. This is the first Ety IEM I've heard and I freaking love this thing.

I liked the SR over the XR since I found the XR to have a little too much bass for my preferences.

Your pair are definitely better matched than mine, which have several ranges where they differ by up to 1db.  I can't claim to hear any difference though.

Oct 14, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #9,583 of 19,248
My ER4XR's arrived today and I'm really impressed by them.  I'm using them with SpinFit CP800-M tips, which I found to be more comfortable than the triple-flanges tips, and which provided as good of a seal.

When I first listened to the my ER4XR I was underwhelmed, but as my ears adjusted I began to understand the hype.  They're like a microscope for listening to midrange frequencies, though they still sound balanced (after your ears adjust).  They bring out unheard details in many well known tracks, and sound incredible with many types of music, especially female vocals.

I compared them briefly to some other IEMs I own.  First I compared them to my Shure SE425 since they are similarly priced.  The ER4XR are far superior in ever way, providing more detailed mids and more bass.  Next I compared them to my Shure SE846, which are quite a different beast, each with their own benefits.  The SE846 is superior in the bass (especially the sub-bass) region and have a "warmer" sound, but the ER4XR definitely wins in the midrange. It would be hard to say which is "better" since I enjoy them both equally - which is impressive when comparing a $350 IEM to a $1000 IEM.  BTW, for testing I was using a Chord Mojo, though the ER4XR also sound good with just an iPhone 7 headphone adapter.

I'm glad I did buy the XR instead of the SR since the bass is "just right" to my ears; I might have been disappointed with the SR.

I think I'm done buying IEMs for a long while.  Between the SE846 and ER4XR, I feel my needs are well covered.

P.S. I recommend giving the SpinFit tips a try for anyone looking for both a good seal and comfort (and easy insertion & removal), though obviously everyone's ears are different.  FWIW, in most tips I require a Large size, but the Medium SpinFits give a better seal for me, while the Large are too large for a good seal.

Oct 14, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #9,584 of 19,248
What does a THD of "100.00" mean?

Oct 14, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #9,585 of 19,248

Your pair are definitely better matched than mine, which have several ranges where they differ by up to 1db.  I can't claim to hear any difference though.

Yeah, no worries there. 1db is small and that's 1db in a very small range of frequencies too. :) i'd call it indistinguishable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back