If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Oct 10, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #9,541 of 19,247

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooo  you very much rock for posting this.  I live in Japan, I will thus most definitely get to this place within a week or so and test them vs. my ER-4P.  Wow.  Great............  for whatever its worth after i do so I'll post my findings here.  Do you think I'll be able to test them using my own music player  (sansa clip +)?  That would be huge as I want to compare using songs I know, and directly vs the ER-4P.  

Awesome.

Sorry I got mixed up, I tested the ER4SR, ER4XR and the new Fostex/FitEar collaboration TE100 IEM in Yodobashi Camera Yokohama but I purchased the Dynamic Motion DM200H from E-Earphone Akihabara, Tokyo. I've already edited my original post. I later met up with AnakChan in Akihabara and we tested the DM200H with his new AK380Cu + amp rig and boy was I blown away with that combination.

Btw mark88888, I was referring to the comparison with my ER4B with custom cable from ClieOS and not the ER4P. I have the ER4P too but the ER4SR and ER4XR are definitely better sounding than the ER4P. The ER4SR/XR is really pricey in Japan so I might get a pair of ER4XR when I'm in Anaheim, LA when I attend the Winter NAMM show early next year.

PS: I'm definitely not selling my ER4B 
biggrin.gif

Oct 10, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #9,542 of 19,247
Hm, I wonder if the XR and SR are testable at Yodobashi in Akihabara.  (or at e-earphone for that matter)?

i know you were talking about the er4b.......  so, for you, the er-4b has better sound than the 4p, XR, SR?   

Oct 10, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #9,543 of 19,247
... and by the way, if anyone reading this knows for sure where i can test them in tokyo, please let me know.  
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 10, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #9,544 of 19,247
Has anyone tested the ER4SR/XR with a Linum BAX cable, or any replacement MMCX cables? Most MMCX cables have straight plugs. I'm afraid they'll awkwardly stick straight out from the driver housing with the new design.

I currently use that with right-angle MMCX adapters (from awwan) with my ER4P and it's a great fit.

Oct 10, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #9,545 of 19,247
  ... and by the way, if anyone reading this knows for sure where i can test them in tokyo, please let me know.  
smily_headphones1.gif

I managed to ask a very friendly sales staff at Yodobashi Camera Yokohama for permission to test the ER4SR/XR and Fostex TE100 and he kindly obliged. However E-Earphone Akihabara's (Tokyo) sales staffs are more experienced and knowledgeable and they have better price. You can test whatever you like over there.

Oct 10, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #9,546 of 19,247
  Hm, I wonder if the XR and SR are testable at Yodobashi in Akihabara.  (or at e-earphone for that matter)?

i know you were talking about the er4b.......  so, for you, the er-4b has better sound than the 4p, XR, SR?   

Yes, I still prefer the sound of my ER4B with ClieOS' custom cable over the ER4SR but I do really like the added bottom end of the ER4XR so the ER4XR will be on my list. It's a good companion for my ER4B 
wink.gif

Oct 11, 2016 at 4:23 AM Post #9,549 of 19,247

Funny thing I'm experiencing the opposite. At the beginning I preferred my XR and the SR wouldn't get much listening, now the XR sits in a drawer and my SR gets all the work.

Whenever I switch back to the other Ety (XR or SR) I am like "hey, this one sounds really good too!". The struggle is real!

Oct 11, 2016 at 5:33 AM Post #9,550 of 19,247
Yeah, they both really are incredible. What it came down to for me personally was how full-bodied and natural the XR sounds. I just couldn't give that up. And I know the SR made details in the upper frequencies more audible, which made switching to it lead me to believe I preferred the SR. But at the end of the day, I'm using my earphones to enjoy listening to music, and I'm willing to give up a tiny bit of (the already incredible amount of) detail in exchange for an incredibly convincing presence in my music that really takes me there. It is a compromise though, and I completely understand why some people aren't willing to make that trade. But every time I close my eyes and 'feel' my music, I know I personally made the right choice keeping the XR.

Oct 11, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #9,551 of 19,247
Thanks a lot Francisk!  I'm going to have to check out both places, clearly.  
biggrin.gif

I'm feeling like the XR's might be for me, based on the many pages of this thread I've read.  On the other hand, I'm using a sansa clip +, and I know many people here are using much better music players (something I'm going to have to inquire about...)  so I'm not sure that I'm going to hear much difference between the ER4P and the XR.  In any case I am very psyched to find out, I hope either Yodobashi or E-Earphone has them in stock and lets me try them.  Will try to do it this Fri.  Psyched.

Oct 11, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #9,552 of 19,247
I am very curious about the sales numbers. Not necessarily total, but SR vs XR.

I hope they make it into Tyll's hands. He was a big fan of the P (on the wall of fame) and there's no way you can love the P and dislike the SR or XR.

Oct 11, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #9,553 of 19,247
  I am very curious about the sales numbers. Not necessarily total, but SR vs XR.

I hope they make it into Tyll's hands. He was a big fan of the P (on the wall of fame) and there's no way you can love the P and dislike the SR or XR.

Well I wouldn't expect the manufacturer to release actual numbers, but some retailers do have a ranking.

Thomann.de has a ranking of best IEM sales, it's just a sample but I've been checking it for a while, and the SR seems to have always been the better selling one so far (at one point the XR was #24).

And yeah, I'd love to hear Tyll's impressions too.

Oct 11, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #9,554 of 19,247
I've been using the etymotic HF5 for years now. Have always come back to them after using other IEMs like RHA, NuForce, Sony and Sennheiser.

How does the sound signature differ from ER4SR compared to the HF5? I've heard the HF5 is a bassier version of the original ER4S. If so, how does the bass compare to the new XR?

Oct 11, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #9,555 of 19,247
The HF-5 is a little warmer, more musical, but the ER4S is more detailed and precise. 

I miss my HF-3. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back