If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Oct 6, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #9,526 of 19,251
Shure sr940 is about the closest. Hd600 is good but i prefer the sr over both for pure frequency response. I'd take the 940 as my top affordable headphone.

I love the SRH940 but they have such a mediocre build quality. I've had 2 replacement pairs (plastic arms would crack) and eventually gave up. Too bad, they do sound great for the price.

Completely agree. Mine are cracking now. But sound wise they are excellent. :-/

Oct 6, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #9,527 of 19,251
Not to change the subject, but today I was thinking about some comments I read in this thread a while back about people's ER4s dying as a result of being played at too high of volume. Which got me wondering, in a balanced armature driver, what would physically cause driver failure? The reed? The diaphragm? Would it be an immediate failure, or degradation over time?

Just curious if this is something to be aware of.

It is my understanding that BA drivers don't generally fail due to loud volumes. I have heard most times they fail due to shock from dropping it or something making it's way into the driver to mess it up. I do not understand the technicalities of BA drivers though. 

Oct 8, 2016 at 4:49 AM Post #9,529 of 19,251
So, I asked a few pages back, but does anyone know of a good kinda cheap ER-4P cable I can get?

You first need to get the adapters containing the appropriate resistors, then you can use any cable with standard fitting.
Did we not cover this?

Oct 8, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #9,530 of 19,251
I think the er4s will reveal which recordings sound great. Even some lossy tracks can sound better than re-mastered flac or lossless files. I have iTunes, ripped cd's and downloaded lossless tunes and its not a given all lossless sound better than apple lossy files. The ety's are for some critical listening but listen long enough and it can grow on you. Amazing for a 1 BA IEM. I prefer headphones to any IEM as its mainly a comfort issue and to me headphones almost never sound as congested as some IEMS. Also price. A 1K headphone will always sound better than a 1k IEM. Its not even close. But for portability IEMs are hard to match, its a convenience. And to me Bluetooth and Noise Cancellation cans just sound too unnatural to me and I have the QC 35's and have used them hardly ever since I got them. But back on topic the TOTL Ety's are truly a must have. Might pull the plugh on the new SR's but not yet,,, not yet...

Oct 8, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #9,531 of 19,251
So, I asked a few pages back, but does anyone know of a good kinda cheap ER-4P cable I can get?

You first need to get the adapters containing the appropriate resistors, then you can use any cable with standard fitting.
Did we not cover this?

So that's a better idea than just buying some kind of replacement cable?
Also, is there a particular way of shopping for them? I really don't want to accidentally make a poor decision and end up paying more than what I should or less and order from some place with terrible QC.

Oct 8, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #9,532 of 19,251
  How big resistors are needed if I wanted to make my own ER4P cable? Is it one resistor per channel or is it enough with one resistor on the common minus?

I was planning to get this cheap 0-impedance cable and add the resistor(s) myself.

What would happen if I plugged it in as it is without adding any resistors?

This eBay cable is actually pretty soft and nicely built. Only problem is that the 0-impedance makes it sound incredibly muffled... like having cotton inserted between the ear drum and headphone. I already knew this (thanks to you guys) when pressing the buy button. However I haven't spent any time trying to add resistors to this 0-impedance replacement cable because I had already purchased the new ER4XR. Until today when I happened to stumble upon a short adapter cable in a local store. The purpose of this adapter is to lower the volume by approx 17dB and is intended to prevent kids from being exposed to too high volume. Well as you might have already guessed this 7€ adapter made my ER4PT sound incredible again... just wonderful!! Sorry for the obscure link in Swedish but hopefully it will give you a hint on what to look for on other sites. 

https://www.kjell.com/se/sortiment/ljud-bild/kablar-adaptrar/3-5-mm/3-5-mm-kablar/volymbegransning-for-horlurar-p34043

Brgds...   /Thomas

Oct 9, 2016 at 6:43 AM Post #9,533 of 19,251
Hello there,
I have some questions regarding the new ER4XR/SR,
>Are they have same impedance (between XR and SR)? or are they the new kind of P to S which can be converted using impedance adapter?
>Difference between P/S and XR/SR? non-technical specs; first impression-wise
>Are they (XR/SR) worth to buy/upgrade from existing P/S?

Sorry for my late introduction, I own some pairs of ER4P/T/S and just discovered the new XR/SR and pretty much interested on it.
Been using ER4 since years ago--pretty much almost 10 years and no turning back for other headphones/earphones. 
etysmile.gif

Cheers and thanks in advance.

Oct 9, 2016 at 7:14 AM Post #9,534 of 19,251
... >Are they have same impedance (between XR and SR)? or are they the new kind of P to S which can be converted using impedance adapter?

SR and XR have pretty much the same impedance - they use different balanced armature driver and thus there is no P-to-S adapter that can convert them from one to the other.

The other two questions have been covered in the past of this thread multiple times, you might want to search them out.

Oct 9, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #9,535 of 19,251

SR and XR have pretty much the same impedance - they use different balanced armature driver and thus there is no P-to-S adapter that can convert them from one to the other.

The other two questions have been covered in the past of this thread multiple times, you might want to search them out.

Thanks for your response,
So I have to decide between them...

Alright, just too lazy to read walls of text in multiple pages to find some reviews... 
tongue.gif

Cheers.

Oct 9, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #9,536 of 19,251
It's just a detail, but I've manually added the new ER4 series to the product category today, in case some of us would like to write more 'formal' reviews.

I might write one but I'm taking my time right now.

Oct 10, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #9,539 of 19,251

I managed to finally test both the ER4SR and ER4XR at Yodobashi Camera in Yokohama when I was there last week. I'm pretty impressed with the ER4XR with it's slightly tilted bass frequencies. Unfortunately for the ER4SR, I much prefer the sound of my ER4B with ClieOS' custom cable with resistor over the new ER4SR. The only advantage of the ER4SR is that it's more efficient than my ER4B with ClieOS' custom cable, the sound quality is another different story. After the listening test, I'm so glad I stuck to my ER4B 
wink.gif

I finally settled for an amazing sounding IEM from a lesser known company called Dynamic Motion from Korea and the model is DM200H. I was totally blown away by the sound of this lesser known IEM which has unbelievable extension on both ends of the frequency spectrum. I purchased this at E-Earphone Akihabara, Tokyo. I've read some negative review from InEarSpace's blog but I suspect he probably has a faulty unit because what I hear is the direct opposite of what he's hearing. The DM200H is so detailed and the coherence of the dual driver hybrid is seamless due to it's patented "Bulls Eye Driver" that has time alligned BA driver right at the center of the dynamic driver which translate to 0% phase issue. In all fairness the DM200H is not an ER4 competitor, it is actually a good companion to the ER4 with a different sound signature that oozes with details that I've never heard from any other IEMs. In short, the ER4 is a very demanding IEM that makes crappy recording sound like crap and the good ones shine where as the DM200H is so much more forgiving and so efficient that I don't need a headphone amp to playback from my Samsung S7 Edge Exynos version with the built-in Cirrus Logic DAC unlike the S7 Edge Snapdragon that utilize the crappy internal Snapdragon DAC.

Here's the photo of AnakChan's AK380Cu + amp after he tested the DM200H.

Oct 10, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #9,540 of 19,251
  I managed to test both the ER4SR and ER4XR at E-Earphone Akihabara, Tokyo when I was there last week. I'm pretty impressed with the ER4XR with it's slightly tilted bass frequencies. Unfortunately for the ER4SR, I much prefer the sound of my ER4B with ClieOS' custom cable with resistor over the new ER4SR. The only advantage of the ER4SR is that it's more efficient than my ER4B with ClieOS' custom cable, the sound quality is another different story. After the listening test, I'm so glad I stuck to my ER4B 
wink.gif

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooo  you very much rock for posting this.  I live in Japan, I will thus most definitely get to this place within a week or so and test them vs. my ER-4P.  Wow.  Great............  for whatever its worth after i do so I'll post my findings here.  Do you think I'll be able to test them using my own music player  (sansa clip +)?  That would be huge as I want to compare using songs I know, and directly vs the ER-4P.  

Awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back