If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jul 2, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #8,476 of 19,256

well, I wouldn't be too optimistic about this(sorry). I have the RE400, and they're really not something I would think about to explain any etymotic product nor would I suggest to any owner to get an er4. I hope you'll like them and see all their differences as a nice change, but given most of your IEMs, I would probably have tried to discourage you from getting a pair of er4.

What do you suggest is better than the "legendary" ER4 then?

Jul 2, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #8,477 of 19,256
You'll love the heck out of them if you enjoy balanced, neutral, natural and realistic sounds.

There's really almost nothing better you can do for meeting all those criteria at any price point or the ER4 wouldn't still be as popular/important as it is.

I heard both the XR and SR and if ultra linear non biased presentation sounds a littl boring get the XR. Just as accurate but livlier.

Jul 2, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #8,478 of 19,256

well, I wouldn't be too optimistic about this(sorry). I have the RE400, and they're really not something I would think about to explain any etymotic product nor would I suggest to any owner to get an er4. I hope you'll like them and see all their differences as a nice change, but given most of your IEMs, I would probably have tried to discourage you from getting a pair of er4.

What do you suggest is better than the "legendary" ER4 then?

oh it has nothing to do with better. it's a matter of signature and taste. some enjoy very V shaped signatures, some enjoy a strong mid/high mid for the impact you get on percussion and stuff, others prefer a more electrically flat signature for the opposite reason as they want a more relaxing impact for non intrusive music while they concentrate on something else. some want big rumble in the subs, some find that annoying as it masks some higher freqs... 
only you can know you. maybe you'll be enlightened by this experience and I'm scaring you over nothing, I was just making an hypothesis based on the IEMs you have in your signature, assuming that it's what you prefer.

Jul 2, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #8,479 of 19,256
You'll love the heck out of them if you enjoy balanced, neutral, natural and realistic sounds.

There's really almost nothing better you can do for meeting all those criteria at any price point or the ER4 wouldn't still be as popular/important as it is.

I heard both the XR and SR and if ultra linear non biased presentation sounds a littl boring get the XR. Just as accurate but livlier.

That was my thought as I have the Cowon P1 and D and if the ER4 is too flat on either, I can easily add what I feel is needed via the EQ or DSP options easily. 

Jul 2, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #8,480 of 19,256
  oh it has nothing to do with better. it's a matter of signature and taste. some enjoy very V shaped signatures, some enjoy a strong mid/high mid for the impact you get on percussion and stuff, others prefer a more electrically flat signature for the opposite reason as they want a more relaxing impact for non intrusive music while they concentrate on something else. some want big rumble in the subs, some find that annoying as it masks some higher freqs... 
only you can know you. maybe you'll be enlightened by this experience and I'm scaring you over nothing, I was just making an hypothesis based on the IEMs you have in your signature, assuming that it's what you prefer.

Nothing in my gear rally wow's me, hence the Ety purchase. 

Jul 3, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #8,482 of 19,256
How do the RE-0/RE-00 compare with the ER4?

All the re-0/re-400/re-600 are good, but they all have lacking frequencies in some part of the treble and they are all fairly unreliable build quality. The er4 is more robust and more neutral. I'd consider the re series fairly neutral in overall sound, and the low distortion is very audible (or inaudible i suppose). So they are very clean sounding earphones, but the er4 is definitely a step up in every way.

Jul 3, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #8,483 of 19,256
All the re-0/re-400/re-600 are good, but they all have lacking frequencies in some part of the treble and they are all fairly unreliable build quality. The er4 is more robust and more neutral. I'd consider the re series fairly neutral in overall sound, and the low distortion is very audible (or inaudible i suppose). So they are very clean sounding earphones, but the er4 is definitely a step up in every way.

I see .............. thanks!

I got the re-00 from massdrop that supposedly has "Improved build quaity"

Jul 3, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #8,484 of 19,256
  I see .............. thanks!

I got the re-00 from massdrop that supposedly has "Improved build quaity"

With all the complaints about the RE-600's quality issues it's ridiculous they did this with the RE-00. This is another reason why I went with the Ety's due to HIFIMAN's quality issues that they refuse to admit exists and or want to address. Ety's warranty and service from what I've been reading seems much better. I'll never give HIFIMAN a penny for any IEM's ever again. They lost me and others as a customer.

Jul 3, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #8,487 of 19,256
I was thinking about a little silicone on the cable on the lower part to stop the clip from sliding down, yet let it freely slide out upward. but I'm all out of sugru(cool but so expensive for what it really is).

Jul 3, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #8,488 of 19,256
So I just received my ER4SR today... Have spent less than an hour with them. Quick impressions vs. my old ER4S (paired with Chord Mojo):

- Definitely retains that ER4S "house-sound". No perceivable change in instrument timbre or tonal balance. 
- Bass quantity is the same. BUT, it is immediately apparent to me that bass response is tighter vs. the older 4S. Listening back to the 4S makes it seem like the bass response is sluggish against the SR. The tighter bass response also seems to grant greater clarity to the mids and upper frequencies. 
- I am hearing more micro-detail being fleshed out in familiar tracks. Its was hard for me to fathom how any other earphones could hand out more detail like the ER4S, but here I am, listening to the SR now and I am hearing even deeper into the track.
- The SR has more air and separation. I think the greater resolution lends to this impression.

I'll post up more impressions as I spend more time with these. I didn't have the chance to listen to the XR, I sort of took a leap of faith and purchased the SR direct from Etymotic. Couldn't be happier with how they sound right now 

Jul 3, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #8,489 of 19,256
  So I just received my ER4SR today... Have spent less than an hour with them. Quick impressions vs. my old ER4S (paired with Chord Mojo):

- Definitely retains that ER4S "house-sound". No perceivable change in instrument timbre or tonal balance. 
- Bass quantity is the same. BUT, it is immediately apparent to me that bass response is tighter vs. the older 4S. Listening back to the 4S makes it seem like the bass response is sluggish against the SR. The tighter bass response also seems to grant greater clarity to the mids and upper frequencies. 
- I am hearing more micro-detail being fleshed out in familiar tracks. Its was hard for me to fathom how any other earphones could hand out more detail like the ER4S, but here I am, listening to the SR now and I am hearing even deeper into the track.
- The SR has more air and separation. I think the greater resolution lends to this impression.

I'll post up more impressions as I spend more time with these. I didn't have the chance to listen to the XR, I sort of took a leap of faith and purchased the SR direct from Etymotic. Couldn't be happier with how they sound right now 

AWESOME!

Jul 4, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #8,490 of 19,256
Question for EtyDave: WIll Etymotic keep making the ER-4S, ER-P and ER-4PT regardless of the launch of the new ER-4's or it will be discontinued soon?

I would really love for Etymotic to keep making the 100-Ohm ER-4S because it is a living legend and it is easier to match with some amplifiers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back