If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jun 22, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #8,326 of 19,247
And I'll say it again, I really like comply's p-series tips. As long as you moisten them a bit before inserting they seem to last a good deal longer. Plus they have a plastic tube inside, unlike their other tips. Keeps from absorbing the highs. I will order some Shure olives to give them a try too. Always worth trying new things.

Jun 22, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #8,327 of 19,247
I've had no real luck with comply on an ety. Fine on ither earphones, but they change the sound on my er4 just enough that it bothers me. The treble transients seem muffled by comparison. All i can ever figure is that the foam isn't dense enough or something.

I dont know, but i know it isn't an expectation bias thing, because i switched to them after loving them on my pfe112, and the comfort is up there with the best on the er4, so i was excited, but then i found things sounded ever so slightly dull after listening a while. It was like things just werent the same.

I switched back to silicon and the treble was phenomenal. Went back to comply later to give them another shot and noticed the same thing. Repeated this skeptical retry process a bunch, and as much as i tried to convince myself there shouldn't be a difference with a good seal and depth, they just never sounded the same. I figured maybe it was just foam, or if anything maybe the treble was "more" accurate because they fit so deep. So i tried the ety foam again, and even with a deep fit the treble matched the silicon.

So i gave up on the comply.... It just aounded "soft" by comparison... But if it works for someone i say all for it. Just didn't work for me.

Jun 22, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #8,328 of 19,247
Like others on here, I too love the ER4 + Shure olive tips. My only issue is that they fit too tight on the stems of the earphones. I'm too afraid to even twist them on all the way for fear of not being able to get them back off. This was admittedly an issue even with Shure's own earphones, but it seems even more so with the new ER4 at least. Does anyone know of any good ways to loosen them up?

Jun 22, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #8,329 of 19,247
my experience is the same as Gnarl and Luis even the "suck at making tips part" ^_^. I've spent so much time making tips out of ear plugs of all brands and shapes. but I've given up on that, just too hard to get perfect symmetry doing stuff by hand(the reason I'm not so big on modding stuff and prefer EQ when it's enough).  I like having the entire ear canal well pressed like with the grey foam but the deepest part would need to be a tiny bit shorter, or thinner(IDK how that would work TBH, only a guess). I've kind of thought about putting the last flange of the triflange at the end of some foam, but I failed to do something usable.
I tried to be clever by cutting only a the tinny part of the tube extruding at the other end of the grey Ety foam, that way I go very slightly deeper, but I have to force on the tip to push it deeper as you obviously have made them with a thinner opening on the side that points toward the eardrum. still I seem to get maybe a millimeter deeper before the tip gets deformed and decides to bend one way or another. not sure it changes a lot but it feels like it does in my head :)

I love comply on IEMs,no doubt that's what I use the most. but not as much on Ety. the extra foam in front is always an adventure when going deep, not pushing it backward often ends up in obstructing the sound path and changing the signature. and pushing the foam back before compression/insertion leads to the IEM moving a little back out once the foam has expended. at least in my ears. also they really don't last long for the price. shure olive or ety foam can take a lot of punishment before I have to throw them away. for ety foam I usually get away with one or 2 clean up in H2O2 before the foam starts to feel like it's hardening.
those are non audio preoccupations, but most of my choices in audio are based on non audio reasons.

comply P are too long for Ety IMO, but they're a great solution for IEMs that do not allow deep insertion. I'm really glad they do exist.

I kind of like the smallest shure olive inserted very deep, but I don't feel like I get the same isolation or signature(or is it only a subjective feeling from having less isolation? IDK. I've measured plenty of configurations, but all it showed me is that my little coupler does not react exactly like my ears do when changing depth and tips. so I don't rely on this too much and more on what I feel (OMG am I a subjectivist now????? ^_^). anyway the shure olive or comply olive have good things going for them but those good things aren't without problem. not having a little pressure on the entire ear canal can feel less comfy, my ear canal really goes up as it goes deeper, so when wearing the cable over the ear (the only way I can hope to stand the cable noise), I get a logical vertical pull and with the olive kind or even the shorter comply, there is nothing stopping the IEM from changing it's axis until something hard touches the entering part of the ear canal. given enough time, I always end up with pain. worn down almost everything is fine, but I can't move around or I go crazy with cable noises. the devil really is in the detail. ^_^

so as a result, I stick to grey ety foam mostly.

Jun 22, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #8,330 of 19,247
The trick with using comply or any other deep insertion tip, is to put them in listen for 5 or 10 minutes, take them out and reinsert them.

Jun 22, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #8,332 of 19,247

The trick with using comply or any other deep insertion tip, is to put them in listen for 5 or 10 minutes, take them out and reinsert them.

i like instant results, so I'll stick with the ety foam :wink:

The grey barrel type ones?

(By the way, what's the official name of those grey barrel style Ety foam tips?)

Those and the Shure Olives (with Shure IEMs) are the only Foam tips I personally like. Nonetheless, I highly prefer (and use) silicone to foam although I have to ad mit that the grey barrel type Ety tips are super comfy and immediately seal deep inside my wide ears.

Jun 22, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #8,333 of 19,247
When I recently had my ER-4P's rebuilt, they sent me a few of the new style, "frosted gray" tips. They are just too small for my ears and I can't get a good seal. The older style, opaque, triple flanged tips work pretty well for me, although I find them a little fiddly. In the end, the barrel shaped foam ones work very well and I find them extremely comfortable. For whatever that's worth. :)

Jun 22, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #8,334 of 19,247

The grey barrel type ones?

(By the way, what's the official name of those grey barrel style Ety foam tips?)

Those and the Shure Olives (with Shure IEMs) are the only Foam tips I personally like. Nonetheless, I highly prefer (and use) silicone to foam although I have to ad mit that the grey barrel type Ety tips are super comfy and immediately seal deep inside my wide ears.

Their official name is ER38-14F, but you can also say grey barrel style Ety foam tips. 
tongue.gif

Where did you get those wide ear canals, man?

Jun 22, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #8,335 of 19,247

Where did you get those wide ear canals, man?

Genetics. Are you jealous of my large and straight ear canals? :wink:

They are, along with my larger than average ears, a bliss for most in-ears. For the ER-4S however, I had to modify the triple-flange tips, else they would have been too small to seal past my ear canals' second bend.

Jun 22, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #8,336 of 19,247
Genetics. Are you jealous of my large and straight ear canals?
wink.gif

They are, along with my larger than average ears, a bliss for most in-ears. For the ER-4S however, I had to modify the triple-flange tips, else they would have been too small to seal past my ear canals' second bend.

Jealous? Not at all. My ear canals are even wider, if I only manage to get those cheek bones out of the way. 
eek.gif

Seriously, my ear canals are also on the wide side, just not in that region where the etys have to go.

Jun 22, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #8,337 of 19,247
Can anyone help me to find the name of this ear foam tips? I love using this ear foam tips on my ER4S and it is getting old so want to stock up new ones but do not know what it is called. Thank you...

Jun 22, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #8,338 of 19,247
Genetics. Are you jealous of my large and straight ear canals? :wink:

Didn't Marco Rubio insult the size of Donald Trump's ear canals? :wink:

Jun 22, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #8,339 of 19,247
I've had no real luck with comply on an ety. Fine on ither earphones, but they change the sound on my er4 just enough that it bothers me. The treble transients seem muffled by comparison ... I switched back to silicon and the treble was phenomenal. Went back to comply later to give them another shot and noticed the same thing. Repeated this skeptical retry process a bunch, and as much as i tried to convince myself there shouldn't be a difference with a good seal and depth, they just never sounded the same. I figured maybe it was just foam, or if anything maybe the treble was "more" accurate because they fit so deep. So i tried the ety foam again, and even with a deep fit the treble matched the silicon...

This comparison is similar to what I experienced with my other IEMs after obtaining "Spinfits" for them. With Complys, smooth (or rolled-off...) HF, with Spinfits, very bright (in comparison).
Which leads me to what will surely be a "noob" question but how do companies like Etymotics produce the frequency-response charts? Do they exclude tips in the testing process or use the "default" silicon etc. If we were to graph the FR of Etys on silicon and on Complys etc. they would have to look different, no... ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back