If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jun 14, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #8,131 of 19,248
Nice. I love compact carrying methods hehe

....it floats as well - just in case I'm caught in a ship wreck
biggrin.gif
!

Jun 14, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #8,132 of 19,248
Jun 14, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #8,133 of 19,248
I meant the er4sr. After listening to the er4xr for so long the sr was just a nice boost of transparency. They are both phenominal. But i prefer the sr by a slight margin...

Here's my review:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wqFmrEPo9no

Perfect for watching if you prefer long drawn out blathering about my opinions on things :p

You mention that the XR can sound a bit veiled with multiple instruments. Your comment reminded me of some Westones (W40?) I heard recently that sounded great with more simple one-line kind of music, but layered tracks from orchestral to progressive rock/metal sounded quite muddy and slow. Is that what we're talking about on some level here? 

Jun 14, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #8,137 of 19,248

E   R  -  4        L   E   G   A   C   Y

That's a great picture. 

I'll just have to Photoshop out the eartips (kidding).

Jun 14, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #8,138 of 19,248
I meant the er4sr. After listening to the er4xr for so long the sr was just a nice boost of transparency. They are both phenominal. But i prefer the sr by a slight margin...

Here's my review:

Perfect for watching if you prefer long drawn out blathering about my opinions on things :p

You mention that the XR can sound a bit veiled with multiple instruments. Your comment reminded me of some Westones (W40?) I heard recently that sounded great with more simple one-line kind of music, but layered tracks from orchestral to progressive rock/metal sounded quite muddy and slow. Is that what we're talking about on some level here? 

Well. Yes and no. The w40 is much more masked. But in the sense that the mid bass masks the overall treble, yes. I'd put the er4xr at about 3% masking conpared to the w40 being 40% :wink:

Jun 14, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #8,139 of 19,248
Well. Yes and no. The w40 is much more masked. But in the sense that the mid bass masks the overall treble, yes. I'd put the er4xr at about 3% masking conpared to the w40 being 40% :wink:

Ouch... I've never heard the W40 myself, but based on that, I'll happily stay at 3%. :)

Jun 14, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #8,140 of 19,248

Ouch... I've never heard the W40 myself, but based on that, I'll happily stay at 3%. :)

It's not bad, but then again for the price it's worse than the er4 series of any type. So a more expensive earphone sounds worse than a less expensive earphone... Hmmm... I guess it sort of does make it a bad earphone ha ha :wink:

It got better with added resistance, but still not near the er4 for accuracy

Jun 14, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #8,141 of 19,248
This thread is making me want to go ahead and order one set and then use my current set to trade in on whichever ones I don't get to begin with. Dang you etymotic (and fellow head-fiers). I thought I was through with opening the wallet.

Speaking of which. Nothing against going direct, but anyone else inside the U.S. carrying the new ones? I checked amazon, but didn't see them.

Jun 14, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #8,142 of 19,248

Here's my review:

it's not even a question of masking, westone's typical sound tends to have a medium signature moving rather close to electrically flat. they don't really seem to care for ear resonances or occlusion effect(when it's most of what made ety decide on a signature AFAIK). westone and most others, just go for a tuned sound they find nice.  it's a very different approach and I doubt they make much claims about looking for flat transparent unmasked sound.
well they indeed don't, here is what's on their web page for the W40 "...has a unique, round, warm sound and sharp articulations".  a different quest altogether.

Jun 14, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #8,143 of 19,248
Yeah. That's cool. I never meant to insinuate they were boasting about studio quality or anything. And they don't sound bad. In fact my old w4r handled eq very very well. But stock they are very soft and mid bassy with a treble unneveness that makes them less than ideal in my opinion. But some may prefer that...

I just put in one of the newer model er4 and I don't know which. I wanted to see how easy it is to discern between them unknowingly. :p

Jun 14, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #8,144 of 19,248
Oh my goodness I thought this was going to be so much easier. Haha

The bass sounds so good they must be the xr! But the treble is so clear they must be the sr! Haha

I purposely haven't been listening to bassier music like electronic. Oh the suspene?! I don't know if I'm going to be shocked the xr sounds so good or shocked the sr has such good bass presentation.

Update... This is a scary test. If these are the xr I'm really astonished. I can't tell if the bass is so good because of the fit and my current mood or because it's the xr. The treble sounds too good though. If it's the sr than I'm not sure i need the xr. I'm current experiencing sonic perfection to the max... I'm afraid to check. Haha

Dave Brubeck is in my living room!!!

Second update: I'm amazed I've had the patience to not look at the model yet. :p listening to aja again and it sounds perfect..... Hmmmmm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back