If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jun 14, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #8,116 of 19,248
Which is "these" referring to? xr or sr?

"These" is these I think, both.

I meant the er4sr. After listening to the er4xr for so long the sr was just a nice boost of transparency. They are both phenominal. But i prefer the sr by a slight margin...

Here's my review:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wqFmrEPo9no

Perfect for watching if you prefer long drawn out blathering about my opinions on things :p

Jun 14, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #8,117 of 19,248
I meant the er4sr. After listening to the er4xr for so long the sr was just a nice boost of transparency. They are both phenominal. But i prefer the sr by a slight margin...

Here's my review:

Perfect for watching if you prefer long drawn out blathering about my opinions on things :p

Thanks for correction and video, good job. 

Now I'm waiting for details of upgrade program..

Jun 14, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #8,118 of 19,248

Here's my review:

Nice review, very interesting comparisons. I tend to agree with most of your impressions about the SR and its differences with the original S series. I don't get the feeling of having more bass than on the ER-4S though. Texture and detail? Hell yes. Quantity? Very subtle maybe. Or maybe is it a feeling induced by the slightly less full mids?

Btw, I hadn't actually noticed the 'wiggle' thing of the connectors/parts at the back of the earpiece. It's barely noticeable but now that I know it's there on mine too. My motto since getting into MMCX equipped IEMs is 'never detach the cable unless you absolutely have to', and the ER4SR will be no exception. I'll just leave it as it is until it develops a fault.

Jun 14, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #8,119 of 19,248

Here's my review:

Nice review, very interesting comparisons. I tend to agree with most of your impressions about the SR and its differences with the original S series. I don't get the feeling of having more bass than on the ER-4S though. Texture and detail? Hell yes. Quantity? Very subtle maybe. Or maybe is it a feeling induced by the slightly less full mids?

Btw, I hadn't actually noticed the 'wiggle' thing of the connectors/parts at the back of the earpiece. It's barely noticeable but now that I know it's there on mine too. My motto since getting into MMCX equipped IEMs is 'never detach the cable unless you absolutely have to', and the ER4SR will be no exception. I'll just leave it as it is until it develops a fault.

Same here. I wouldn't disconnect the cable unless i need to.

As for the bass, i don't Believe it has any more bass level. I was trying not to give that impression in the review. It's more that the bass sounds more distinct. This is probably due to the treble clarity. If string attack is improved bass presence is improved subsequently. Everything is improved. Lol it brings out the micro details in a bass guitar for instance. So to me that makes the bass seem less lacking overall. But the bass doesn't sound any "louder"

Jun 14, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #8,121 of 19,248

Here's my review:

Thoroughly enjoyed it, great review mate!

Jun 14, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #8,122 of 19,248
  damn!!!  I never saw that mentioned in any user manual. what am I supposed to do with this now?(only etys to stay on topic, I hate that brand
wink_face.gif
)

It's not the number of drivers that's the problem, it's the number of separate housings.  If you have a hot glue gun lying around, I am sure you can solve that problem.
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #8,123 of 19,248

Here's my review:

Great video review.  Thank you for taking time to create it.

Jun 14, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #8,124 of 19,248
  FWIW I got an email about upgrading from current ER4's. They are still working out the details and getting the supply lines a little more filled before they start the upgrade program. They did say they think it will start in early July, and put me on a list to email once they have more info. So there's a lot of words that don't really say much. I can be good at that. :wink:

I'm keeping that list, so you'll hear from me once we're ready to roll it out. I was really hoping that we would've had this up and running by now (along with many others). Product launches...always a million moving parts. You can always contact me directly if you're looking for updates. Either PM me or email me at r_carlson@etymotic.com.

Jun 14, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #8,125 of 19,248

I've had the opposite experience as well: listening to the SR for a while and then switching back to the XR and hearing this wonderful, full-bodied sound again while still retaining the majority of the minute details I was getting with the SR.

Jun 14, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #8,126 of 19,248
So, it loooks like its a case of "The king is dead......long live the king!"

Looking forward to auditioning a pair of the ER4XRs if I can get to the CanJam in August. Trouble is, if I like them, I'll need to get another tin lid printed up:

My venerable 11 year old ER4Ps -still doing stirling daily service. But for how much longer? From what I'm reading, the ER4XR really do look like the ideal replacement. Kudos to Etymotic for keeping the ER4 product line going for so long, and only replacing them with what appear to be worthy successors. Respect!

Jun 14, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #8,127 of 19,248

I've had the opposite experience as well: listening to the SR for a while and then switching back to the XR and hearing this wonderful, full-bodied sound again while still retaining the majority of the minute details I was getting with the SR.

It's almost like it happens either way. Even for me sometimes...

Jun 14, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #8,128 of 19,248
So, it loooks like its a case of "The king is dead......long live the king!"

Looking forward to auditioning a pair of the ER4XRs if I can get to the CanJam in August. Trouble is, if I like them, I'll need to get another tin lid printed up:

My venerable 11 year old ER4Ps -still doing stirling daily service. But for how much longer? From what I'm reading, the ER4XR really do look like the ideal replacement. Kudos to Etymotic for keeping the ER4 product line going for so long, and only replacing them with what appear to be worthy successors. Respect!
What is that tube holding the eartips?

Jun 14, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #8,129 of 19,248

Ah, a short length of acryllic tubing holding a spare pair of the small triple flanges. 10mm inside diameter. Just the right size to gip them, but not enough to deform them.

Jun 14, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #8,130 of 19,248

Ah, a short length of acryllic tubing holding a spare pair of the small triple flanges. 10mm inside diameter. Just the right size to gip them, but not enough to deform them.

Nice. I love compact carrying methods hehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back