If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Apr 10, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #7,264 of 19,246
Is there any consensus on how much power the ER4S needs to shine?  Its rated at 108db/mW which means it should hit 120db around 16mW or 1.2Vrms.  The max input is rated at 3Vrms, or about 90 mW.   It seems like 30mW would be all you should need and 90mW would be the upper limit.  I wonder if its more about the sound signature and quality of the amp more than the actual power?

I belive the iPod classic puts out around 7mW at 100ohms.  The Fiio x3ii probably around 30mW.

Apr 10, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #7,265 of 19,246
Generally, ER4S will sound fine from most smartphones, we have members here who use ER4S with Sansa Clip and completely enjoy it. I even believe the Sony Walkman mentioned above will drive them to 'suitable' levels.

The thing is as another member mentioned above, once you hear ER4S with some true power backing it (for example a decent DAP) or external amp you begin to see them as more than just an earphone creating music. They will sing, "really sing" and push out as much detail as some IEM in the $1k regions.

Apr 10, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #7,266 of 19,246
I do find that they sound really thin right off my iPod classic. I've been using the same portable amp with my er4S for almost 15 years now! This was back when HP amps weren't really even a thing yet. I think it's probably a modified cmoy design, it has a lot of power but I'm sure very dated by today's standards. That said I love how it pairs with the er4s. It's a little flabby, certainly not the best resolution but it gives the er4s a nice tubey sound and nice tonal balance. Ive actually tried the er4s on some nicer amps and didn't enjoy it as much. I tried the o2 and jds c5. Both were a big step up in resolution but they lost the fullness I get with my old portable amp. It sounded awesome at first but got fatiguing after a couple hours. I also tried them on some desktop amps and didn't think that was a big improvement either. I tried m-stage, shanling ph100 and yulong d100. I thought these basicly sounded like the o2 and c5 but with more background noise.

This has me thinking that I'm really looking for an amp that adds some warmth and fullness and that objective accuracy and resolution are secondary concerns for me. This gets me back to the question of what does it take to make th er4s sound full? Is it a question of power or sound sig/quality.

On a side note I just saw the dx90 dropped on massdrop. Seems like a good match power wise at 2.9Vrms. Anyone tried this pairing?

Apr 10, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #7,267 of 19,246
I do find that they sound really thin right off my iPod classic. I've been using the same portable amp with my er4S for almost 15 years now! This was back when HP amps weren't really even a thing yet. I think it's probably a modified cmoy design, it has a lot of power but I'm sure very dated by today's standards. That said I love how it pairs with the er4s. It's a little flabby, certainly not the best resolution but it gives the er4s. A nice tubey sound and nice tonal balance. If actually tried the er4s on some nicer amps and didn't enjoy it at much. I tried the o2 and jds c5. Both were a big step up in resolution but they lost the fullness I get with my old portable amp. I also tried them on some desktop amps and didn't think that was a big improvement either. I tried m-stage, shanling ph100 and yulong d100. I thought these basicly sounded like the o2 and c5 but with more background noise.

This has me thinking that I'm really looking for an amp that adds some warmth and fullness and that objective accuracy and resolution are secondary concerns for me. This gets me back to the question of what does it take to make th er4s sound full? Is it a question of power or sound sig/quality.

Personally, the best I heard my ER4S (sold now) was with JDS Labs C421, an older portable amp that's probably harder to find now. It was rather vibrant and seriously conjured up instant body rushes and goose bumps on demand with ER4S, particularly with Andrea Bocelli tracks. Those were the days....

I have heard a portable amp that may take ER4S closer to what you need, its quite a large amp though, Cayin C5. But don't forget to put a decent DAC (decent source line out) behind the amp, quite important in the chain.

Apr 10, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #7,268 of 19,246

Personally, the best I heard my ER4S (sold now) was with JDS Labs C421, an older portable amp that's probably harder to find now. It was rather vibrant and seriously conjured up instant body rushes and goose bumps on demand with ER4S, particularly with Andrea Bocelli tracks. Those were the days....

I have heard a portable amp that may take ER4S closer to what you need, its quite a large amp though, Cayin C5. But don't forget to put a decent DAC (decent source line out) behind the amp, quite important in the chain.

Did you ever have the chance to try the ER4S on the Cayin N5?  I was really hoping to go to a single DAP.  From what I'm hearing though it sounds like I may have overestimated the amps in these mid-fi DAPs.

Apr 10, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #7,269 of 19,246

Did you ever have the chance to try the ER4S on the Cayin N5?  I was really hoping to go to a single DAP.  From what I'm hearing though it sounds like I may have overestimated the amps in these mid-fi DAPs.

I have Cayin N5 for review atm but never tried with ER4S.

The Cayin's tonal voicing is close to what you're looking for (warm, thicker weight) and the power output would be fine. Its actually a great little player from the design, features to sound, I love it for what it is and especially at the American price point I saw of $300. I have tried ER4S with the Cayin C5 amp and was impressed, it was quite a creamy, warm toned amp able to push out good detail and resolution. The Cayin's all have a unique house sound, have no idea what internals they share between them but they all have a character unique to Cayin.

I have heard ER4S on about 3 different levels.

1. Entry: General music listening performance = smartphone, Sansa units
  2. Mid-fi: Ok, we're getting somewhere, there's certainly a potential here = iBasso DX50, FiiO X5 (etc)
  3. Perfect Synergy: I think I'm about to lose my mind, that detail is insane = JDS Labs C421 (with decent line out feeding it)

Unfortunately I had a fatal error with my ER4S and hurt my eardrum, the ER4S boyz never truly forgave me for betrayal so I don't come here as much. 
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #7,270 of 19,246
  Is there any consensus on how much power the ER4S needs to shine?  Its rated at 108db/mW which means it should hit 120db around 16mW or 1.2Vrms.  The max input is rated at 3Vrms, or about 90 mW.   It seems like 30mW would be all you should need and 90mW would be the upper limit.  I wonder if its more about the sound signature and quality of the amp more than the actual power?

I belive the iPod classic puts out around 7mW at 100ohms.  The Fiio x3ii probably around 30mW.

the ER4S is 100ohm 100db/mw
or 110db/v
or 90db/0.1v
and as measurements are usually pretty close from specs edit: for the ER4(probably the strongest statement for quality in the IEM world), I suspect those are the values that should be used. 

so for the sony A17(non euro version) you'll get up to about 0.4v or a maximum loudness possible of about 102db. given that there is no replay gain those DAPs, most songs will actually reach close to that loudness.is that enough? well depends who's talking. for me when I'm using anything with a rather good isolation, I pretty much never get above 75db(peak not average). but most people listen louder than I do.

and just to make it clear, into an ER4s of 100ohm, current has little chances of being the limiter. so as long as you can go loud enough, you're pretty safe that power isn't the issue(/!\this is not true for stuff like 16ohm IEMs!!!!!).

Apr 10, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #7,272 of 19,246

the ER4S is 100ohm 100db/mw
or 110db/v
or 90db/0.1v
and as measurements are usually pretty close from specs(probably the strongest statement for quality in the IEM world), I suspect those are the values that should be used. 

so for the sony A17(non euro version) you'll get up to about 0.4v or a maximum loudness possible of about 102db. given that there is no replay gain those DAPs, most songs will actually reach close to that loudness.is that enough? well depends who's talking. for me when I'm using anything with a rather good isolation, I pretty much never get above 75db(peak not average). but most people listen louder than I do.

and just to make it clear, into an ER4s of 100ohm, current has little chances of being the limiter. so as long as you can go loud enough, you're pretty safe that power isn't the issue(/!\this is not true for stuff like 16ohm IEMs!!!!!).

Cool, thanks for explaining that, and thats more or less what I thought.  Sounds like its more of a question of tonality.

BTW I was going by the ER4S specs on BH photo, it looks like they are little off.

Apr 10, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #7,275 of 19,246
  I've been told the Pono in balanced mode pairs very well with the ER4S, anyone else tried that combo?

I've only run ER4S single ended with Pono Player, it was basically in that mid-fi zone I mentioned and imo Pono has a relatively weak amp section. (single ended)

I never managed to get a cable to run ER4S balanced from Pono.

#7271 of 727326 minutes ago

Can anyone comment on the ER4s paired with the lotoo paw gold please 

Nope, haven't heard it sorry.

Also try in the PAW Gold thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back