If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Feb 29, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #7,097 of 19,254

Using a Sony like this would undermine the point of using a expensive high-end DAP to begin with imo. Although wouldn't using a good external amp, reduce the noise floor and increase the output?
Are high end Sony DAPs therefore generally not well suited to high end headphones?

Has anyone tried the ER4s with the CL Theorem 720, Fostex HP-P1 or even other DAC/AMP combos.
Looking at other, possibly more preferable option to the ZX100. It seems like second hand options for iPod Classic 160GB + DAC/AMP combos would be similarly (even cheaper) priced.

Which is why I don't own any ZX series. But the A10 series with a good DAC/amp is just as good as most sub-$1000 audiophiles DAP, except perhaps that it doesn't do any DSD (which I don't care anyway).

Also, an external amp doesn't care whether the signal is music or noise floor - it will amplify them equally.

Feb 29, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #7,099 of 19,254
  Do you mean with LOD or just 3.5+3.5? If we are talking about portable amp only.

No, we are talking about using Sony A10 as a digital transport feeding a DAC/amp via USB - that means the DAP only reads the files and send it to the DAC/amp while the DAC/amp is doing all the digital-to-analog decoding as well as amping.

Using A10 with LOD or 3.5mm-to-3.5mm to a pure amp simply doesn't solve all the issues it has. This is not the right thread to discuss it in length but I already posted a few comments in the A10 thread and you can look up them up.

Feb 29, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #7,101 of 19,254

Which is why I don't own any ZX series. But the A10 series with a good DAC/amp is just as good as most sub-$1000 audiophiles DAP, except perhaps that it doesn't do any DSD (which I don't care anyway).

Also, an external amp doesn't care whether the signal is music or noise floor - it will amplify them equally.

Well thanks a lot for your insights, ClieOS.
From what you and others have told, the ZX100 wouldn't fit my needs (especially not at the price point).
I'll keep being on the lookout for other options.

---

On a related note, has anybody here tried the ER4s with the Theorem 720 or HP-P1 and could share some impressions? 

Feb 29, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #7,102 of 19,254
Hi again,

I can't find a definite answer on whether the foam tips or the flanged tips are the better ones to get the best out of the er4s.

Also, how often do you replace the filters and is there any difference between the green and grey ones?

Trying to get as much as I can while I'm in the US before I leave.

Cheers,

Feb 29, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #7,103 of 19,254
  Hi again,

I can't find a definite answer on whether the foam tips or the flanged tips are the better ones to get the best out of the er4s.

Also, how often do you replace the filters and is there any difference between the green and grey ones?

Cheers,

Hi! I used to have ER4p and S 3-4 times during my life) So from my experience the most fixed seal gives the best sound from Etys. I've got big ears, so Shure silicone L-sized tips with a good deep seal sounds to me the best. Foam was not good, i was loosing a lot of treble but mid-bass became more punchy. Tri-flanged was not for me, but is suppose their sound should be the best for normal eared people, so no foam. IMO.
When you start hearing that treble is not very long and you start loosing microdetails, filters should be changed. On a new filters treble is very long and detailed. I'm cleaning my ears regularly, so 1-1.5 years for a one pair of filters:) 

Feb 29, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #7,104 of 19,254
Hi again,

Cheers,

For tips, I go with Shure Olives which are very resilient and provide a very good seal. Once they get matted down with wax, I put on a new pair and I soak the old ones in hydrogen peroxide which brings them back. I've never actually thrown them away and I have had them for years.

Feb 29, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #7,106 of 19,254
What about the FiiO X7, if not their other players? Don't believe you've mentioned that one.

Indeed, I have not tried the Fiio X7, they were charging when I wanted to try them. 
But after my marathon of all the other Fiio DAPs, I am no longer all too interested in the Fiio X7. I am not saying that they are bad, but I am somewhat weary based on the previous experiences + at $700 i'd want to consider other options as well.
To me all the Fiios I tried seemed to have a strange peakyness to them which I didn't really like.

If you happen to have any experiences with the X7, please do share them.

Feb 29, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #7,108 of 19,254
  Indeed, I have not tried the Fiio X7, they were charging when I wanted to try them. 
But after my marathon of all the other Fiio DAPs, I am no longer all too interested in the Fiio X7. I am not saying that they are bad, but I am somewhat weary based on the previous experiences + at $700 i'd want to consider other options as well.
To me all the Fiios I tried seemed to have a strange peakyness to them which I didn't really like.

If you happen to have any experiences with the X7, please do share them.

If you didn't like the sound signature of the other Fiio DAPs, then unfortunately I don't think you would like the X7 either. They all do share a similar sound.

And I have to admit that when paired with my ER4S, the X7 does get a bit too bright for me. It's not to the point of being unlistenable, but it is somewhat annoying. Otherwise, I thought the X7 drove the ER4S well - plenty of power for the IEM, and created a pretty 3D soundstage (well, as 3D as it gets on the Etymotic IEM).

Mar 1, 2016 at 1:20 AM Post #7,109 of 19,254

If you didn't like the sound signature of the other Fiio DAPs, then unfortunately I don't think you would like the X7 either. They all do share a similar sound.

And I have to admit that when paired with my ER4S, the X7 does get a bit too bright for me. It's not to the point of being unlistenable, but it is somewhat annoying. Otherwise, I thought the X7 drove the ER4S well - plenty of power for the IEM, and created a pretty 3D soundstage (well, as 3D as it gets on the Etymotic IEM).

Actually X7 doesn't just have one sound signature - AM1 and AM2 sounds quite different from each other and I'll say X7 with AM2 is about as good as any DAP driving ER4S. That's what I am using right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back