If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Feb 9, 2016 at 2:12 AM Post #6,991 of 19,256
ClieOS, I'm in for the 4B cable. I don't mind waiting for the next batch 
biggrin.gif

Feb 12, 2016 at 5:17 AM Post #6,992 of 19,256
Well, the deed is done. Flogged off my ER4S for $200 AUD on eBay a few days ago. That's basically $140 USD after conversation. There was some guilt definitely, and being an original unit with old school cable, red/blue plugs I knew they were worth more. Was the longest duration I kept an IEM the ER4S, many good times but the course of natural selection told me I was done.

Feb 12, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #6,993 of 19,256
Well, the deed is done. Flogged off my ER4S for $200 AUD on eBay a few days ago. That's basically $140 USD after conversation. There was some guilt definitely, and being an original unit with old school cable, red/blue plugs I knew they were worth more. Was the longest duration I kept an IEM the ER4S, many good times but the course of natural selection told me I was done.

For some reason the word "Treason" springs leapingly to mind
biggrin.gif

I just don't think I could ever sell my originals. They have been a part of my life for over 20 odd years. I think it would be more like a divorce.
basshead.gif

Feb 12, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #6,995 of 19,256
  For some reason the word "Treason" springs leapingly to mind
biggrin.gif

I just don't think I could ever sell my originals. They have been a part of my life for over 20 odd years. I think it would be more like a divorce.
basshead.gif

I think it may be one piece of gear I'll regret occasionally, but we had our time.

I remember one year on New Years Eve I didn't feel like being festive, the midnight fireworks at Sydney Harbour are some of the most explosive echoing for miles 30 minutes straight. I inserted my ER4S a few minutes before midnight using foam tips and listened to some tracks, I can honestly state I didn't hear a single whisper from the fireworks. When I removed the ER4S I was greeted with complete silence, the fireworks had passed and I would never have known.

Maybe I missed it, but what, may I ask, has replaced them?

The two Tralucent hybrids, 1Plus2 and Ref.1. They serve up more detail, spacious staging and don't require the deep insertion. I do feel if I still had a source which we've spoken about made the ER4S sing 'really sing', I may have kept them. Though I just couldn't be bothered going through it all again, paring them up to such levels.

Feb 13, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #6,996 of 19,256
It appears that one of the adapters I purchased from awwan is failing after a little over a week. It seems to be where the cable plugs into the adapter. I got mmcx/shure connector and if I plug and unplug the cable it comes back for a time. I switched everything around to determine if it was a problem with the cable, adapter or the actual earbud. Anyone have any experience with their eBay shop and returns/exchanges? It is not the best time for getting a response due the lunar new year.

Thanks.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I did not hear back fro Aawan (probably due to the holiday) so I got a bit more formal and started a return on ebay. I was then contacted and told a replacement set would be sent out.  I'm pretty sure the break is in a solder point because plugging and unplugging the cable does not always fix the problem but moving the cable around does. So in the mean time, I am using my spare connectors without the resistor from Lunashop and a P to S cable I picked up on Amazon (ZY Hifi Cable). It seems to be working well. 

Since I never heard the ER4S before, I put the Aawan adapters back on (I'm okay as long as I don't move my head) and used the P to S cable and I am super impressed with the increased clarity and depth in FLAC's. I'm pretty sure I'm going to keep using the S cable once I get the replacement Aawan adapters but I may invest in a small amp to go with my Fiio X3. The X3 can drive the 4S but the volume pretty high.

Feb 13, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #6,997 of 19,256
  The two Tralucent hybrids, 1Plus2 and Ref.1. They serve up more detail, spacious staging and don't require the deep insertion. I do feel if I still had a source which we've spoken about made the ER4S sing 'really sing', I may have kept them. Though I just couldn't be bothered going through it all again, paring them up to such levels.

I see. So it took you two iems to replace one er4s...  :wink: :wink:

Feb 14, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #6,999 of 19,256
I 'll say I am falling in love again with ER4S, especially with the new cable I made myself (just for much better ergonomics) and driven by either FiiO X7 or Mojo. I listen to ER4S a lot more than any IEM I have these days.

Feb 14, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #7,000 of 19,256
  I 'll say I am falling in love again with ER4S, especially with the new cable I made myself (just for much better ergonomics) and driven by either FiiO X7 or Mojo. I listen to ER4S a lot more than any IEM I have these days.

You know your new cable improved the sound too. You know that deep down. 
wink_face.gif

Feb 14, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #7,001 of 19,256
If someone is looking to pull the trigger on these, let me know before you do.

Feb 14, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #7,002 of 19,256

You know your new cable improved the sound too. You know that deep down. 
wink_face.gif

Every once in awhile I can use some magic in my life, I guess
biggrin.gif

Feb 14, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #7,004 of 19,256

Same here. I always seem to come back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back