If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Feb 1, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #6,962 of 19,256
I like them with the very similar jds labs C5. My introduction into all of this. I wonder if the C421 is brighter or warmer than the C5.

My ibasso dx90 drives them well, but i use an eq setting to bring out the bass. Still it gets me very close to the C5 sound with the bass boost without having to carry a stack.

Feb 1, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #6,963 of 19,256
I like them with the very similar jds labs C5. My introduction into all of this. I wonder if the C421 is brighter or warmer than the C5.

My ibasso dx90 drives them well, but i use an eq setting to bring out the bass. Still it gets me very close to the C5 sound with the bass boost without having to carry a stack.

I tried JDS Labs C5, actually what happened was two members both sent me a C421 and C5 willing to sell at exactly the same time so I got to choose. The only problem was C421 has quite high output impedance which isn't an issue for 100ohm ER4S but really that's all I could I use with it because many of my IEM are low impedance multiple balanced armature. I heard the C421 amp really screw up a pair of 10ohm Dunu DN-1000, to the point they sounded extremely hollow.

In theory, I should have picked the C5 I had on loan. But C421 sounded so full of effortless detail with ER4S it gave me instant body rushes whenever I turned the volume up. Haha. (serious)

So I just bought the C421 entirely for my ER4S and sent the C5 back. Basically, C421 sounded more vibrant and powered ER4S like a true champion in low gain. The more you edged the volume up they'd pour out more and more detail. Vocals mainly was my hit.

Feb 1, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #6,964 of 19,256
If you believe in such a thing, ER4S and C421 are really what define the word 'synergy' means in a portable setup. C5, while excellent on its own right, doesn't quite have the same magic as C421 when it comes to driving Ety.

Feb 2, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #6,966 of 19,256
I use ER4S whith Vorzuge Pure II => it´s a very harmonic combi and high recommended !!!

Feb 5, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #6,967 of 19,256

It's much neater with the resistors in the adapter (Awwan) anyway. I've currently got the stock Lear cable attached to my Etys and the stock Noble cable attached to my Lears. I would thoroughly recommend Linum Bax which I have attached to the K10UAs, which I think should be within your price range once you add shipping and taxes. It is completely noise free and very light and comfortable in use. Night and Day to the original cable.

I received my adapters from Awwan today. My Linum Bax cable arrived last Friday. My Ety cables came off very easily, maybe because I had them rebuilt by Etymotic 16 months ago. I am very impressed by the new cable and connectors. My ER4P's sound great. I am very disappointed that I've gone through two stock cables in six years but now that I can change them easily, I'll probably won't need to.

Thanks to all that helped and provided guidance.

It appears that one of the adapters I purchased from awwan is failing after a little over a week. It seems to be where the cable plugs into the adapter. I got mmcx/shure connector and if I plug and unplug the cable it comes back for a time. I switched everything around to determine if it was a problem with the cable, adapter or the actual earbud. Anyone have any experience with their eBay shop and returns/exchanges? It is not the best time for getting a response due the lunar new year.

Thanks.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Feb 5, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #6,968 of 19,256
It appears that one of the adapters I purchased from awwan is failing after a little over a week. It seems to be where the cable plugs into the adapter. I got mmcx/shure connector and if I plug and unplug the cable it comes back for a time. I switched everything around to determine if it was a problem with the cable, adapter or the actual earbud. Anyone have any experience with their eBay shop and returns/exchanges? It is not the best time for getting a response due the lunar new year.

Thanks.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

It's never the right time for anything to go wrong, but Chinese New Year holiday is quite a lengthy affair. I went for the standard 2 pin version which has been trouble free so far. I have heard on this thread that Awwan has been very good in sorting out any problems. I have also heard that MMCX connections have their problems, but I have no experience of them. I take it that you have switched the L/R cables to determine that the problem is with the adapter rather than the cable. Your first step will be to contact Awwan. Good luck...

Feb 5, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #6,969 of 19,256

It's never the right time for anything to go wrong, but Chinese New Year holiday is quite a lengthy affair. I went for the standard 2 pin version which has been trouble free so far. I have heard on this thread that Awwan has been very good in sorting out any problems. I have also heard that MMCX connections have their problems, but I have no experience of them. I take it that you have switched the L/R cables to determine that the problem is with the adapter rather than the cable. Your first step will be to contact Awwan. Good luck...

Yup, I did all of the permutations just to make sure it wasn't a connector issue on the ER4 side.  It was definitely the MMCX connection on the left side. The sound cut out any time that connector was attached to either ER4 part or the left or right side of the cable.

I sent the email to Aawan but I don't anticipate hearing anything for a bit. With minimal movement and an occasional re-plugging of the cable, I can use them.  I guess if I know I will be moving around a bit, I'll use one of my back up IEM's.

Feb 5, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #6,970 of 19,256
As I have always said, MMCX is just a terrible connector to use on IEM. Don't know who in his right mind started this whole madness.

Feb 6, 2016 at 1:44 AM Post #6,971 of 19,256
Does anyone have extensive experience with DN1000 (foam tips for me) and ER4? I've been using my DN1000 for well over a year almost everyday, but after I acquired HE-560 I have finally experienced what neutral with good extensions of both sides sounds like. With that in mind, the DN-1000 bothered me with its v-shaped sig. Main problem is when I raise the volume to get adequate mids, bass and treble hurts my ears and from there I recently realized v-shaped isn't for me (neutral all the way
gs1000.gif
). I love the bass on the DN1000 although it is a bit too much, just a little bit. Enough treble for me, but it's more like quantity over quality on both sides. Spoiled my ears with HE-560 and would love a similar IEM without emptying my wallet. My only concern is the lack of bass impact because I listen to a lot of EDM/pop.

Would love any advice from anyone. Thanks.

Feb 6, 2016 at 6:41 AM Post #6,973 of 19,256
@willowbrook I fear the ER4 may not be the choice for you. Whilst it will provide clarity and detail, it has a rolled off sub-bass, which you will miss with your chosen genres. It's sound quality is also dependent on a good fit and the differences in your ear canals may not allow this.

Feb 6, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #6,974 of 19,256
Borrowed friend's er4s yesterday and i must confess that ety's sound signature is closest to my perveption of "ideal". The ONLY drawback is narrow soundstage (i believe that's the result of deep insertion that creates vacuum in ear canals)

Now...if there could exist an earphone with ety's sound signature PLUS the vast soundstage....

Feb 6, 2016 at 7:04 AM Post #6,975 of 19,256
  @willowbrook I fear the ER4 may not be the choice for you. Whilst it will provide clarity and detail, it has a rolled off sub-bass, which you will miss with your chosen genres. It's sound quality is also dependent on a good fit and the differences in your ear canals may not allow this.

Looks like the tips provided by Dunu were different instead, my ears were fine after all. I guess BA driver just isn't sufficient compared to hybrids for quantity in the low frequency region...however, I'm hoping the clarity will outweigh the con of sub-bass roll off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back