If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Oct 2, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #6,661 of 19,246
Oct 2, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #6,662 of 19,246
What do you all think about the X3ii with the ER4S? I've heard the sound signature of the X3ii is a little "warm". Is the combo pleasing? There are times when the ER4S can get a little brittle for me, especially with less quality recordings. I like the ER4S w/ well recorded classical, but I'm looking for a jazz solution, and I can choose between the X3ii + ER4S, something even warmer like the E17K (I know its not a dap), or maybe just go for a warmer iem, like a W2, etc. Any suggestions? 

Oct 3, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #6,663 of 19,246
Hi everyone, as new ER4 user I have few questions for you Ety veterans.:atsmile:

1. The gray tip deform in 2 days(less than 6 hours usage), is this indicate they are too big for my ear canal?

I can't use the clear tips(for some reasons those sharp edges hurt my ear canal very very very bad)
In case the gray ones really too big for my ears canal and I am dead set on triple flange tip, any other tips I can try?

2. Is this insertion depth enough? I ask because I can push a little bit further in but it will result
- much narrower soundstage
- very hot high mid (ballpark 6kHz upwards)
- eardrum/brain perceive distorted sound at certain frequency. (ie: drums cymbals in rock mix)
- much better isolation
- mildly increased presence of sub-low
- bass and treble prominent made mid sound recessed.
- decreased overall perceived volume.

I read ER4 should push way in, as far as you can push.
But I am confuse cause if I do that, they sound bad.
But is that the way ER4 should sound?

Ety bros please chime in your opinions, Thanks:L3000:

Oct 3, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #6,664 of 19,246
  What do you all think about the X3ii with the ER4S? I've heard the sound signature of the X3ii is a little "warm". Is the combo pleasing? There are times when the ER4S can get a little brittle for me, especially with less quality recordings. I like the ER4S w/ well recorded classical, but I'm looking for a jazz solution, and I can choose between the X3ii + ER4S, something even warmer like the E17K (I know its not a dap), or maybe just go for a warmer iem, like a W2, etc. Any suggestions? 

I like the hifiman players with the ER4S, I think they compliment it nicely, but YMMV. I thin the combination of warmth and power really make them sound great. 

Darkinners- my tips do that too, I just attribute it to oily canals, doesn't cause a problem beyond cosmetic for me. Westone star tips work well for me with these for a slightly less isolating fit. There's always foam, Westone, Comply, Shure all fit. Also, your fit looks about right to me with tri-flange, but I suppose it depends on the shape of your ear. I'm 6'1" with a big dome, that's how they sit in my ears. Sounds to me like going further in you're pinching the tip in a bend so it sounds like you've got it right. 

Oct 3, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #6,665 of 19,246
Hi everyone, as new ER4 user I have few questions for you Ety veterans.:atsmile:

1. The gray tip deform in 2 days(less than 6 hours usage), is this indicate they are too big for my ear canal?

I can't use the clear tips(for some reasons those sharp edges hurt my ear canal very very very bad)
In case the gray ones really too big for my ears canal and I am dead set on triple flange tip, any other tips I can try?

2. Is this insertion depth enough? I ask because I can push a little bit further in but it will result
- much narrower soundstage
- very hot high mid (ballpark 6kHz upwards)
- eardrum/brain perceive distorted sound at certain frequency. (ie: drums cymbals in rock mix)
- much better isolation
- mildly increased presence of sub-low
- bass and treble prominent made mid sound recessed.
- decreased overall perceived volume.

I read ER4 should push way in, as far as you can push.
But I am confuse cause if I do that, they sound bad.
But is that the way ER4 should sound?

Ety bros please chime in your opinions, Thanks:L3000:

I had the exact same issue with the grey tips. Try these tips from Amazon. Slightly smaller. They also make a triple flange tip you can try.

Oct 3, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #6,666 of 19,246
I like the hifiman players with the ER4S, I think they compliment it nicely, but YMMV. I thin the combination of warmth and power really make them sound great. 

Darkinners- my tips do that too, I just attribute it to oily canals, doesn't cause a problem beyond cosmetic for me. Westone star tips work well for me with these for a slightly less isolating fit. There's always foam, Westone, Comply, Shure all fit. Also, your fit looks about right to me with tri-flange, but I suppose it depends on the shape of your ear. I'm 6'1" with a big dome, that's how they sit in my ears. Sounds to me like going further in you're pinching the tip in a bend so it sounds like you've got it right. 

Thanks TheMarkRemains, Yes I have oily ears too. Pinching the tip, that totally make sense! I didn't thought about that. Thanks man.

I had the exact same issue with the grey tips. Try these tips from Amazon. Slightly smaller. They also make a triple flange tip you can try.

Thanks gnarlsagan but I really like the isolation from tri-flange. Bi-flange has much better comfort though.

Oct 4, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #6,667 of 19,246
You could try modifying the "translucent" silicone tips like this if you feel that they are slightly too small and the white ones are slightly too large:
Cut off the smallest flange right on the stem where the middle flange begins, put the small flange on the nozzle first and then put on the rest of the remaining eartip which is now a bi-flange. With this method, the eartip length remains the same as with the stock triple-flange tip, but it will fit your ears more likely if the tip was slightly too small just before.
As I have wide ear canals, I had to do this with the white silicone tips in order to to get a seal.

Oct 4, 2015 at 3:57 AM Post #6,668 of 19,246
Thanks TheMarkRemains, Yes I have oily ears too. Pinching the tip, that totally make sense! I didn't thought about that. Thanks man.
Thanks gnarlsagan but I really like the isolation from tri-flange. Bi-flange has much better comfort though.

You could try modifying the "translucent" silicone tips like this if you feel that they are slightly too small and the white ones are slightly too large:
Cut off the smallest flange right on the stem where the middle flange begins, put the small flange on the nozzle first and then put on the rest of the remaining eartip which is now a bi-flange. With this method, the eartip length remains the same as with the stock triple-flange tip, but it will fit your ears more likely if the tip was slightly too small just before.
As I have wide ear canals, I had to do this with the white silicone tips in order to to get a seal.

...and if you are not getting the isolation you require from the biflange, you can replace the small tip (now being used only as a spacer) with a suitable large single tip (diy triflange) or go one stage further and use a large bore tip to fit over the ety barrel to give you a quadflange.

This is using the regular triflange and an old Sony tip inside out.

Have a scan through the thread gallery - people have come up with some unusual combinations... but if it works, it's great.

Oct 4, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #6,669 of 19,246
Hi everyone, as new ER4 user I have few questions for you Ety veterans.
atsmile.gif

IMO yes, that's a sign they're too big. I had the same problem with them, when the plastic folds like that it creates a channel that means the third flange is effectively contributing very little to the seal. I use the tips gnarlsagan mentioned and have had no problems after treating them.

Sharp edges is a problem with many of these tips and is something you don't want, as they will abrade the delicate skin of your ear canal (apart from the pain). I fixed it by melting the edges slightly - put the eartip on a round wooden stick (I found the sticks used for kebabs work fine), then hold the eartip over the flame from a lighter while rotating the tip quickly. You only want to melt the edges slightly, so only put it in the flame for a couple of seconds, rotating all the time. Then take it out of the flame and roll it on a flat surface to mold the edges. You may have to do this a few times, repeating for each flange until the sharpness is just gone.

That's the same depth I use, and since the strain relief is hitting the tragus it would be hard to go deeper. Ideally you want it positioned so the end of the tip just engages with the bony part of your ear canal. I find the change in sensation makes it fairly obvious when that happens, but with the right-sized tips it shouldn't be painful.

Oct 7, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #6,670 of 19,246
I'm currently using my ER-4PTs with the westone silicone star tips as I found that they fit my ears better. The stock eartips felt like I had a dick pushed all the way into my ears which felt really horrible, now my gripe is the cables, I'm a pretty short dude with a height of 160Cm (5'3") for you yankees. the cables are too long and the microphonics suck harder than a vacuum. Does anybody have any suggestions on some aftermarket cables?

Oct 7, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #6,671 of 19,246

This is using the regular triflange and an old Sony tip inside out.

Have a scan through the thread gallery - people have come up with some unusual combinations... but if it works, it's great.

wow !!!!!!  is this going to be like the number of razor blades? ^_^
the first flange says hello, the second massages the ear canal gently, the third one holds the IEM in place. the forth one is at the gate making sure single nerd sounds can't get inside.

Oct 7, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #6,672 of 19,246
  wow !!!!!!  is this going to be like the number of razor blades? ^_^
the first flange says hello, the second massages the ear canal gently, the third one holds the IEM in place. the forth one is at the gate making sure single nerd sounds can't get inside.

I prefer to think of it in terms of glass

single flange - single glazing - only the flange is blocking sound
biflange - double glazing - a single air layer is blocking sound
triflange - triple glazing - two separate air layers are blocking sound
quad flange - keeps your ears warm.

Oct 7, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #6,673 of 19,246
You could always go CUSTOM FIT

Oct 7, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #6,675 of 19,246
CUSTOM FIT is Etymotics custom tip program.
And in my experience using universal tips is more about angle than depth, in general I find uni tips too finicky and fragile . But when I got these customs I got extreme isolation, and with it deeper bass. Keep in mind Etymotics THEMSELVES are the ones pushing these tips, and I'm sure they wouldn't do anything to mess with accuracy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back