If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Aug 31, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #6,571 of 19,256
Had these for the almost 6 months now and am still surprised how much more 'natural' they sound compared to well... everything else.

Mostly used then with the 's' adapter as the 'p' sounded a bit more closed in and had less treble presence.  But I just got the 'b' adapters from awwan (mostly so I could use a mic cable) and I was wondering if anyone else has been using the 'b' variant.  Haven't done a proper a/b but it seems like the 'b' variant is way more power hungry (23/30 on my Zune vs 17/30 for the 's' edition) and reduced bass (could be a volume issue though).  That being said I feel like it has even better highs; so crisp!

Tried searching the thread but couldn't find any comments.  Anyone else been using the 'b' variant have any thoughts?

Sep 1, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #6,572 of 19,256
I had the ER-4B for a while, and highs were just too prominent for me.  For the first day or two, though, it was cool:  it seemed like I could hear every bean rattling inside the maracas, every tine of the brush individually striking the surface of the drumhead.  What a rush.  But I started to notice that in all those details I was losing the overall enjoyment of the music.  I tried for about three weeks to learn to love them, then got them recabled back to ER-4S.

Your mileage may vary of course! 

Sep 1, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #6,573 of 19,256
Completely agree with that assessment. Does seem to make the music seem almost a crime scene heh. Every rustle is prominent and nothing is hidden. That being said it provides a nice complement to my other iems that are far smoother and more 'musical' (earsonics Velvets in particular). Variety is the spice o' life.

On a side note. Highly recommend awwan on eBay for connectors/etc. HK to the states in a little over a week!

Sep 6, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #6,575 of 19,256
  Had these for the almost 6 months now and am still surprised how much more 'natural' they sound compared to well... everything else.

Mostly used then with the 's' adapter as the 'p' sounded a bit more closed in and had less treble presence.  But I just got the 'b' adapters from awwan (mostly so I could use a mic cable) and I was wondering if anyone else has been using the 'b' variant.  Haven't done a proper a/b but it seems like the 'b' variant is way more power hungry (23/30 on my Zune vs 17/30 for the 's' edition) and reduced bass (could be a volume issue though).  That being said I feel like it has even better highs; so crisp!

Tried searching the thread but couldn't find any comments.  Anyone else been using the 'b' variant have any thoughts?

redrising98, I just emailed Awwan regarding the P-B adapter and he has no clue what it is. Did you get the B adapter from him? He has the P-S adapter though but I don't need that because it comes with my ER4PT.

Sep 6, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #6,576 of 19,256
Quick question - how the heck are you supposed to put them back into the hard case? I can't fold them up correctly to fit into the slots.

I don't place my ER4S back in their hardcase after using them. Etymotic sell neat little carry cases for them if that interests you. My storage method is quite bizarre, I won't go into it atm.

Sep 6, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #6,577 of 19,256
  Quick question - how the heck are you supposed to put them back into the hard case? I can't fold them up correctly to fit into the slots.

I never use the stock hard case either, and find most Shure/Westone/Etymotic included carrying case to be too small to be actually practical for everyday use.

Instead, I'm using this old AKG K430 case, that is slim, semi-hard and twice as big as the Etymotic soft pouch, but still not too bulky to carry around. It feels sturdy and allows me not to fold the cable too many times, so it doesn't get too much damage. Also it only takes me a few seconds to tuck them in it. Really handy.

Sep 6, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #6,579 of 19,256
Pelican 1010 case > all
biggrin.gif

Perfect for my ER4's (and other IEMs). I don't like this small tiny soft cases.

Sep 6, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #6,580 of 19,256
That Pelican case looks good, might buy that one later. And yeah, after spending 20 mins trying to get them into the hard case I gave up and put them into the small soft case.
Didn't have too much trouble getting them in, I'm using the over/under method of coiling cables like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yPcJD7RVuY

Users who are viewing this thread

Back