If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Sep 13, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #6,603 of 19,272
Hi guys, what are the best pair of aftermarket cables that sound like the ER4S? The reason is, I don't think the ER4S cables are very durable in the long run and I'm looking to replace my current ones. They're deteriorating and I'm starting to get crackling noises.

Sep 14, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #6,604 of 19,272
With all the microphonics issues of the ER4, as well as the much higher price point ($250-$300 right now in the U.S. - anyone know of anywhere cheaper?) would you all still recommend them over the HF which can be found for $100-$125 and apparently due away with most of the microphonics? I'll be using these for picking apart footsteps in competitive FPS gaming, so I don't want to miss out on any detail or separation - but truthfully I just don't want to deal with the ER4 microphonics if the HF is noticeably better in that department.

Sep 14, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #6,605 of 19,272
  With all the microphonics issues of the ER4, as well as the much higher price point ($250-$300 right now in the U.S. - anyone know of anywhere cheaper?) would you all still recommend them over the HF which can be found for $100-$125 and apparently due away with most of the microphonics? I'll be using these for picking apart footsteps in competitive FPS gaming, so I don't want to miss out on any detail or separation - but truthfully I just don't want to deal with the ER4 microphonics if the HF is noticeably better in that department.

it clearly is better on hf5, really my only reason to give up on the er4. and the even cheaper ety stuff has the same cable/shell as the hf5, only the MC5 has a larger diameter shell so it can be less comfy for some who like to go deep.

Sep 14, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #6,606 of 19,272

it clearly is better on hf5, really my only reason to give up on the er4. and the even cheaper ety stuff has the same cable/shell as the hf5, only the MC5 has a larger diameter shell so it can be less comfy for some who like to go deep.

Better in the microphonics department, and cheaper - makes me prefer the HF big time. For picking apart details in competitive FPS (and precisely pinpointing their location with virtual surround like Dolby Headphone or SBX) do you think the HF5 will fall short of the ER4S?

Sep 14, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #6,607 of 19,272

My 1st Etys were a pair of used HF5s from Ebay.  Oh how I loved them!  They were even better once I finally took the plunge and went with the custom sleeves.  Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end and alas, the day came when their undetachable cable "gave up the ghost" \ Bought the farm \ Departed for the glorious unknown\ DIED.  However, my sorrow was quickly turned to euphoric joy, once I realised that I could replace them with a brand-new pair of ER-4 PTs for half price by simply sending Etymotic my deceased HF5s.  I absolutely love my current set-up: Macbook Air + Fiio E17 + ER4-PT + custom sleeves = Amazeballs!!

Those customs... Where did you get them... I would love to have some in the future....​

Got them through the Etymotic custom fit program (http://www.etymotic.com/consumer/custom-fit). I love them!

Sep 14, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #6,608 of 19,272

Better in the microphonics department, and cheaper - makes me prefer the HF big time. For picking apart details in competitive FPS (and precisely pinpointing their location with virtual surround like Dolby Headphone or SBX) do you think the HF5 will fall short of the ER4S?

the er4 has supposedly better attention paid to matching the drivers, I could imagine this resulting in a slightly better panning balance. but I'm not sure it's audible, simply because it's likely we have bigger differences between each of our ears than the IEM. but still it's an objective reason to favor the er4.

about headphone virtual soundstage, I really don't know, I've never used IEM to play games. others probably have more to say about that.

Sep 14, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #6,609 of 19,272

Unfortunately I can't speak for you in regards to ER4S vs HF5, but I've had no problems with using the ER4S for counterstrike. It doesn't have forward/backward soundstage depth like over-ear headphones (I recommend the Sennheiser HD598), but it definitely has superior left and right panning. Which makes it easy to pop headshots for enemies coming out of a nearby corner. In regards to picking apart details in fps, I've had no problems using apple earpods and ear mufflers I bought from a hardware store.

Just remember that positioning enhancing software will most of the time will give up depth in return. I haven't tried ALL post processing effects, so take my knowledge with a grain of salt.

Sep 14, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #6,610 of 19,272
A few days ago when removing ER4S (silicon triple flange) just like 1000 times done before the left side put intense suction on my left ear drum, even though I'm well adapted to breaking the seal before removal, this time it caught me out. Left it quite sore and I've had to take it really easy with earphones the last few days. 

Sep 15, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #6,612 of 19,272

Ouch! Get well soon!

Hopefully nothing more/worse has happened... I heard of cases where the ear drums ripped due to too fast removal of ear impressions; I really hope for you that not the same happened when you removed your ER-4S.

The best thing would probably be to see an audiologist.

I've read about a member who did this removing their ER4S, I think in my case I've just (hopefully) caused a little bruising or unneeded pressure. The seal did break, just grabbed a little on the way out. It doesn't cause me intense pain, just feels a little sensitive. Certainly soured my taste for ER4S and I won't use them for a while. It's those damn triple flange tips, they seal so deep, so tight. 

Not the first time ER4S have bitten me, I've received a nasty earache once many months ago. 

Sep 15, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #6,613 of 19,272
That's why I only remove my strongly-sealing IEMs (be it universals or customs) very slowly, and sometimes even helping to break the seal with my other hand by pulling my ears up/down.
Though, I had to modify my ER-4S tips to Bi-Flanges but with the same length so that sound isn't altered, as my ear canals are quite wide and the Triple-Flanges didn't seal past the second bend (the modified ones now do).

Sep 15, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #6,614 of 19,272
To be honest, I won't sell my ER4S, never will as I've always said this.

However, there are 3 pairings which leave my ER4S unused atm.

DX90 / 1Plus2
Pono Player / ASG-2 (balanced)
Shozy Alien / Fidue A83

Between these I find my ER4S a little redundant, at least for the moment. I can feel a gap pull away in the SQ department. 

Sep 17, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #6,615 of 19,272
So I'm buying my THIRD pair of Er-4P as I have lost two pairs. Got them used for $169 on eBay. The person I'm buying them from says he barely used them, so I'm thinking I may need to burn them in. Any advice on how to do this? I use my 4Ps for recording and mixing music. I just want the flattest, most accurate sound possible with the most separation I can get. 

Also, I have a couple of those P to S convertors that you plug into the end of the cord, I just never got around to using it. I plug my 4Ps into an audio interface, an Alesis IO4. Would I still have to get a separate headphone amp to power then with the S convertor or no?

Thanks for all your help guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back