If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jul 19, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #6,316 of 19,272
  I want to see a version where the sound is still as good as it is but with different housing design that allow people to wear it over the ear comfortably. That's the only complain I have about ER4.

To make it comfortable for over ear all you need to do is reverse the direction of the cable. I use an old foamie inner to do this, but there are plenty of other methods. Search the thread an ye shall find or click on the "View all" for recent photos and you will find a few variations.

I might be one of the few people that can can wear them comfortably with the cable over the ear and has no comfort/fit issues in general with them - wide and straight ear canals in combination with a big concha are a bliss. 
etysmile.gif

Though, I had to modify the stock tips a bit as the tips were not big enough to provide me with a good seal when inserted deeply (I cut off the smallest flange, pulled it over the empty sound tube and then put on the modified b-i/tri-flange -> the eartip length remains the same but I get a good and deep seal as the largest flange moves deeper into my ear canal).

I have suggested this in the past for the small tri-flange to try to make the missing medium size, but if you have to do it with the large tri-flange, then your ear canals are wide
rolleyes.gif

Jul 19, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #6,317 of 19,272
I can wear them like this guy: http://www.head-fi.org/t/232695/why-doesnt-etymotic-fix-the-er-4/15#post_2856117 without any problems (except for I don't run the cable over my shoulder and behind my back but straight down my chest).

Quote:

(I cut off the smallest flange, pulled it over the empty sound tube and then put on the modified b-i/tri-flange -> the eartip length remains the same but I get a good and deep seal as the largest flange moves deeper into my ear canal).

I have suggested this in the past for the small tri-flange to try to make the missing medium size, but if you have to do it with the large tri-flange, then your ear canals are wide
rolleyes.gif

Yep, they are wide and deep (that's what she said
cool.gif
), just as my concha, that's what the German UE distributor also told me when I got my impressions done. The good thing about it is that I don't have problems with the size of various big IEMs in most of the cases, though the downside is that most small over-ear headphones are rather a symbiosis of on- and over-ears on my head. 

Gotta take a close-up pic of my UERM that shows the side facing towards my ear drum, then you will get an insight of my ear canals' width. 
etysmile.gif

Jul 19, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #6,318 of 19,272
I want to see a version where the sound is still as good as it is but with different housing design that allow people to wear it over the ear comfortably. That's the only complain I have about ER4.

Wrap the cord up with something like a plastic twisty tie. Makes for a perfect over-the-ear fit. I take my ER4S to the gym daily.

0fd3ff94_IMG_20140422_1628192.jpeg

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #6,321 of 19,272
How are these for rap and alternative music? I'm looking for my first pair of high quality IEMs and these are the genres I mostly listen to.

They sound great for everything as long as you are looking for a flat frequency response, there are other iems that sound more exciting for hip hop by having more pronounced bass but these are better than anything I have used for alternative. These are just accurate think of the sound they make in the studio when recording the album that's usually what you get with the ER4S.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #6,322 of 19,272
Also you need to have a good seal with these if you aren't comfortable with iems being deep in your ears these won't be for you and they won't sound good with a shallow seal

Jul 20, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #6,323 of 19,272
Also you need to have a good seal with these if you aren't comfortable with iems being deep in your ears these won't be for you and they won't sound good with a shallow seal

They really can be a pain in the ear. :p

I find the most comfortable by far are the comply foam t-100. I wear the medium size and compress them by squeezing them (not "rolling" them) on each side until they are extremely compressed. I try to make sure when I compress them that the foam doesn't cover the sound port but also that it doesn't get pulled back too much. If it does, the barrel can feel sharp in your ears. If you simply compress them straight down without pulling forward or backward on the barrel they should work well.

Doing this I can get them deeper than any other tip except maybe the small silicon triple flange from ety, but these are much more comfortable. And they isolate an insane amount. I can sit in the room with the a/c on and an air filter running (floor standing unit) and i wouldn't know they were on when I wear the ety like this. And if they are compressed without blocking the sound port, they sound perfect.

Jul 20, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #6,324 of 19,272

They really can be a pain in the ear. :p

I find the most comfortable by far are the comply foam t-100. I wear the medium size and compress them by squeezing them (not "rolling" them) on each side until they are extremely compressed. I try to make sure when I compress them that the foam doesn't cover the sound port but also that it doesn't get pulled back too much. If it does, the barrel can feel sharp in your ears. If you simply compress them straight down without pulling forward or backward on the barrel they should work well.

Doing this I can get them deeper than any other tip except maybe the small silicon triple flange from ety, but these are much more comfortable. And they isolate an insane amount. I can sit in the room with the a/c on and an air filter running (floor standing unit) and i wouldn't know they were on when I wear the ety like this. And if they are compressed without blocking the sound port, they sound perfect.

+1 on all that. I will add( think I have mentioned it before) that if you soak the comply's in hydrogen peroxide for about 15 seconds then squeeze them out and repeat with water to get rid of all the Hper, the get considerably softer. It does not seem to make any difference on the life of the tips at all. Just dont leave them soaked with Hper for too long.

Jul 20, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #6,327 of 19,272
How are they for comfort?

ER4S? Oh, comfort is probably not quite the same as being massaged by a beautiful woman.

More along the lines of being internally interrogated by two wooden chopsticks.

But the sound...the sound is great. 
wink.gif

Jul 21, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #6,329 of 19,272

You better get some foam tips if you want comfort with these. Shure olives worked well with me, but sound as isolation won't be as good as with the tri-flanges. I used the flanges at home in the middle of the night when everyone is sleeping so I won't have anybody calling me and me not hearing it, and I use the olives at work.

Jul 21, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #6,330 of 19,272

I thought I should return to lessen the scare factor for you - my previous post was a little upfront.

ER4S comfort like mentioned is certainly not on any high level, you can feel the nozzles deep inside your canal most of the time, often moving your jaw will be quite noticeable and cause clamping of the canal. For example, after I've inserted ER4S I lean back to lay down on my bed late at night, my jaw tilts, muscles etc and I feel quite a bit of brief pain for those few seconds leaning back. Once I'm laying down its acceptable.

Is the pain going to completely annoy everyone? No.

Is the pain definitely noticeable enough to want to remove them early sometimes? Yes.

For most parts its OK - we tend to joke a little about it because we've all felt how wearing an ER4S (with deep insertion) is less than ideal.

Its not going to ruin you though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back