If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Apr 23, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #5,836 of 19,251
They're wicked weird. But yeah more foam than silicone. Think hard packing peanut. 

Have you ever tried the Klipsch gel tips? You might like those on the ER4. 

I think I know what you mean.

No, I haven't tried Klipsch tips yet though I'll look into it! I did try some alternative triple flange tips once which have a wider nozzle opening than stock. They introduced sibilance and other nasty effects.

Apr 23, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #5,838 of 19,251
Like the Westone star tips? 

No, no, these ones are on eBay, look almost identical to stock Etymotic triple flange tips but with a wider tip opening. Also, the ER4S nozzles end sits deeper inside these tips I'm not sure that's a good thing as I'm pretty sure it's an important factor to achieving the right sound. (at least it didn't work out for me)

Ill find them tomorrow. =)

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #5,841 of 19,251
I have a question, I recently switched to the triflanges because every other tip would always work it's way out with lots of movement (i.e. at the gym) and end up with my ear burping. Sounds funny but it actually works up pressure in my ear that results in needing to released. If I let it go it pops out on its on but always ends up with a wicked headache if I don't be careful.

Anyone have any tips or suggestions? I was thinking if taking a pin and poking a hole so they'd breathe a little better. I figure I'd do it on opposite sides so I'd maintain the isolation. I don't want to waist the tips if it doesn't work if there are other alternatives.

I have tried a few other tips including the Westone STAR tips but they eventually work themselves loose with activity. The flanges hold and sound awesome but the burps are beginning to suck.

Apr 23, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #5,842 of 19,251
I have a question, I recently switched to the triflanges because every other tip would always work it's way out with lots of movement (i.e. at the gym) and end up with my ear burping. Sounds funny but it actually works up pressure in my ear that results in needing to released. If I let it go it pops out on its on but always ends up with a wicked headache if I don't be careful.

Anyone have any tips or suggestions? I was thinking if taking a pin and poking a hole so they'd breathe a little better. I figure I'd do it on opposite sides so I'd maintain the isolation. I don't want to waist the tips if it doesn't work if there are other alternatives.

I have tried a few other tips including the Westone STAR tips but they eventually work themselves loose with activity. The flanges hold and sound awesome but the burps are beginning to suck.

I have always had the same problem. And the pressure is affecting the sound too believe it or not. Poking holes doesn't help my tips.

Try this before you do anything else. It's not harmful and it's really not gross. Lick your fingers and then rub the tips until they are wet. Not just a bit moist, but at least a bit "wet". Then gently rotate them as you insert them.

Just try it and see how it works. For me this relieves all pressure issues and even makes them more comfortable after their in for some reason physically.

And if you're using the big tips and the small ones don't normally work for you, try that with the small ones too before you make a final decision. I'm not using small tips. And I always thought I preferred large tips before.

Apr 24, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #5,843 of 19,251
regarding tips

Ety silicon 3 flange: do not like sound or fit
Ety mushroom glider: like these but do not last long at all, extemely delicate (fall apart)

Westone True Fit Foam medium long: perfect for me, outstanding isolation, durable, do not work lose over time, the best low frequency response and overall presentation. I know some people say foam can effect the sound/details, but I think the westone foam are the perfect match for ER-4

Apr 24, 2015 at 7:40 AM Post #5,844 of 19,251
My new ER-4S cable arrived me today! Awesome, with some resistor adapters (for different sounding):

Now I'm in love and no more horrible microphonic stock cable!

Apr 24, 2015 at 8:32 AM Post #5,846 of 19,251
how about amping the ER 4s.  I know this topic has come up a lot on the forums, but most threads on the topic are old and a lot of portable amps have hit the market since then.  It used to be the Mini Box E+ was an amp popular among ER 4s owners because that amp was made to go with it.  It had a bass boost and a warm expansive sound.   So what works well with them?  I have a Cayin C6 on the way for other phones, but wasn't sure how that one would do with ER 4s.  

Apr 24, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #5,847 of 19,251
  What kind of cable is that?  where did you get it?

The cable itself is an stock high end custom in-ear 2-Pin cable (like that cable you get from Custom Art custom in-ears), I've sent this cable to a custom cable guy (Outstanding ear - located in Germany) and he changed the default 2-Pin to the ER-4S connectors and he build some resistor adapters with 8 and 18 ohms (not finally decided from me, sounds a way better as the default 75 / 100 ohms).

Apr 24, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #5,849 of 19,251

The cable itself is an stock high end custom in-ear 2-Pin cable (like that cable you get from Custom Art custom in-ears), I've sent this cable to a custom cable guy (Outstanding ear - located in Germany) and he changed the default 2-Pin to the ER-4S connectors and he build some resistor adapters with 8 and 18 ohms (not finally decided from me, sounds a way better as the default 75 / 100 ohms).

The ER4P is 25ohm and the ER4S 100ohm. The inline resistor supplied with the ER4PT is 75ohm to convert P to S.
Why 8 and 18ohm?

Apr 24, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #5,850 of 19,251

The ER4P is 25ohm and the ER4S 100ohm. The inline resistor supplied with the ER4PT is 75ohm to convert P to S.
Why 8 and 18ohm?

The driver from the ER-4 itself seems to be around 3,5 to 3,7 ohms without any other inline resistor supplied with a cable.

Please see some measurements:

Cyan line is the ER-4 without any inline resistor. Red line is the default 27 ohms from the ER-4PT stock cable. Blue line is the ER-4S (used the 75 ohms adaptor which is included with the ER-4PT).

Soon I will add more measurements with 8 and 18 ohms etc., I'm currently testing what sounding is the best for me, more information will follow the coming days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back