If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Feb 27, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #5,536 of 19,256
I would drive it with the X3 / E12 combo, assuming no EQ would be needed.

I have owned an X3 and I have owned an E12, but not at the same time. I do have the HE-560 and I would imagine the combination to be overly warm. Perhaps someone who has actually heard this combination can comment, but I doubt you will find them in this thread.

Feb 27, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #5,537 of 19,256
  ER4P has more bass presence but the bass of ER4S is of a better quality, more structured, tight and clear. Also, the punch of the bass drum hits harder

well the er4p is +10db louder than the er4s which kind of magnifies the frequency spectrum vs the er4s, but i agree about the er4s bass structured  being tigher and clear along with punchier and hits harder. i was quite surprised when i mated up the alp and fostex and heard the amp it was quite nice

Feb 27, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #5,538 of 19,256
I have owned an X3 and I have owned an E12, but not at the same time. I do have the HE-560 and I would imagine the combination to be overly warm. Perhaps someone who has actually heard this combination can comment, but I doubt you will find them in this thread.

Once I received the donation I will try it and report back. But for now let's get back to topic.

Feb 27, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #5,540 of 19,256
What would you guys say is the best aftermarket cable option for the ER4 headphones?

I'm looking to convert my ER4PTs into the ER4S as well as also reduce the horrible microphonics.

I'm not interested in %100 silver or stuff like that.

Feb 28, 2015 at 1:49 AM Post #5,541 of 19,256
What would you guys say is the best aftermarket cable option for the ER4 headphones?

I'm looking to convert my ER4PTs into the ER4S as well as also reduce the horrible microphonics.

Nome you are stuck with that you are going to have to rig the cable you have to make due with the microphonics. The earpieceso are now really user remove able there is chances of damage.

Feb 28, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #5,542 of 19,256

GeneralSmirnoff /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm not a believer in cables making a difference, as long as the connections are good, the resistance is low enough, and there's no significant capacitance (http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm). But using awwan's adapters (either for Shure or old 2-pin Westone "ES" cables) will let you choose from a wide range of cables. Not sure which connector gives you more options.

For what it's worth, I didn't notice any change in SQ switching from the stock cables to the Shure CBL-M-K cable, other than a massive reduction in cable noise ("microphonics"). The rotating Shure MMCX connector lets me easily switch between over-ear and down modes since the connectors on the cable-with-remote are curved, as I mentioned above.

Feb 28, 2015 at 2:03 AM Post #5,543 of 19,256

Mooses9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Nome you are stuck with that you are going to have to rig the cable you have to make due with the microphonics. The earpieceso are now really user remove able there is chances of damage.

I think your "autocorrect" played havoc with your post. If you mean that GeneralSmirnoff is stuck with the stock cables because the earpieces are not user removable, I found that not to be the case: http://www.head-fi.org/t/560401/etymotic-er-4-aftermarket-low-microphonics-cable#post_11353406

I'd never modded IEMs before, and was just worked slowly and carefully, using a bit of common sense. It wasn't difficult, and having done it, I would say that anyone reasonably useful with their hands could do it without any risk of damaging their beloved ER•4s.

In my estimation, the procedure is easily reversible, in case you need to send them back to Ety for repair. I think you just wouldn't want to swap them too often, as there would be some wear/tear on the pins/sockets.

Feb 28, 2015 at 3:01 AM Post #5,544 of 19,256
no i am well aware that they are technically removable per i have use the same kind of adapters you have in the past however was displeased i however used the 2 pin westone style, before the mmcx style came out. reason i say that they are user removable is because etymotic will not sent you out another cable is you happen to break a cable or if you happen to damage a ear piece its not worth it because the cable that is on the er4p and er4s are already as best they come. and etymotic dont exactly intend on you to remove the cable like you said removing and insering and removing and sering can cause pin hole wear which in turn can cause damage.

however i admire your mod. you are braver than i, albeit i have 4 pairs of er4's lol

Feb 28, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #5,545 of 19,256
  no i am well aware that they are technically removable per i have use the same kind of adapters you have in the past however was displeased i however used the 2 pin westone style, before the mmcx style came out. reason i say that they are user removable is because etymotic will not sent you out another cable is you happen to break a cable or if you happen to damage a ear piece its not worth it because the cable that is on the er4p and er4s are already as best they come. and etymotic dont exactly intend on you to remove the cable like you said removing and insering and removing and sering can cause pin hole wear which in turn can cause damage.

however i admire your mod. you are braver than i, albeit i have 4 pairs of er4's lol

Yes, I checked out your profile and was ...
eek.gif

You admire my bravery, I admire your gear collection!
beerchug.gif

The stock ER•4 cable may be a good one for conducting the signal to the drivers, but it's a terrible one to use in real life. So what is one to do? I say, nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Feb 28, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #5,546 of 19,256
I am aware that the noticeable bending in the largest flange on the stock Ety triflanges is a bad thing, because it simply means that they're too big for your ears.

Over the weeks, this bend has become more and more pronounced, to the point where it is literally a complete fold, eliminating much of the size of the largest flange, if that that makes sense.

I was lead to believe that this was a potentially negative thing, because of the potential of air currents becoming trapped as a result of the bends (or however it goes. I am no audiophile. Luidesent knows what I'm about).

Anyway, as a result of these bends I have been able to achieve a deeper fit than ever, to the point where I can only see the cable and nothing outside of my ear. And the bass response has definitely increased.

I also feel like the treble detail has even increased slightly, although I deemed this impossible after hearing them before. But now it seemed to be more pronounced.

Furthermore, they aren't causing me jaw/cheekbone pain anymore after extended periods of listening, and I can actually move my jaw significantly while wearing them normally without any discomfort. For example, beforehand, I couldn't smile because it would be so painful, but now I can with no pain.

I'm confused in general, because the huge bends/folds in the largest flange are associated with negativity, but for me they have solved any comfort problem I had with the Etys. 

Strange how things work. 

Mar 1, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #5,547 of 19,256
For those of us who like acoustic genres, look up Ane Brun - Sketches album. It will show you why ER4S remains one of the best.

Mar 2, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #5,548 of 19,256
For those of us who like acoustic genres, look up Ane Brun - Sketches album. It will show you why ER4S remains one of the best.

Those vocals with the ER4S - wow.

Kind of actually complements the so-called "in your head" sound or lack of soundstage that the ER4S is commonly associated with.

That voice is resonating inside my head and it's amazing.

Mar 2, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #5,550 of 19,256
  Because fit is a very essential part of this IEM. I don't hear any problems with the soundstage
Do not forget that the soundstage is also depended on the record and gear itself

I'm not an audiophile per se, so I might got get the terminology right sometimes.

I am aware that it is because this is a deep-fit IEM.

I didn't say there were any personal problems with the soundstage or imaging (I'm not sure what the correct term is in this instance). But I was referring to a fairly common critique of those who aren't so fond of the ER4s that the music is too "in your head". 

However, personally, the openness of the sound is nothing compared to my HD800s.

In the context of this album, I was merely saying that I think the more "in your head" sound actually complemented the album that H20 referenced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back