If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Feb 11, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #5,416 of 19,246
  yes and no. if you are trying to get one from etymotic they wont send one to you.they will only do the replacing themselves. which requires you to send in your iem's

you can remove the cable yourself if you wish to, you have to do it with finesse, and i dont recommend you do it multiple times.

and to be honest, i dont recommend doing it at all imo.

The funny thing is that I initially opted for the ER4pt, because I thought the cable was (user) replaceable. My previous iem didn't have that feature and broke 3x.
Turns out the cable is replaceable, but the company is just being a stupid about it. Putting me in the same situation like before.

What i call half-commitment...

Feb 11, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #5,417 of 19,246
  yes and no. if you are trying to get one from etymotic they wont send one to you.they will only do the replacing themselves. which requires you to send in your iem's

you can remove the cable yourself if you wish to, you have to do it with finesse, and i dont recommend you do it multiple times.

and to be honest, i dont recommend doing it at all imo.

I don't plan to. Just reading the last posts about cables had me wondering. I don't have any cable issues at the moment and don't really expect to since I don't really take my Etys out and about...mostly just use them at the desk.

Feb 11, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #5,418 of 19,246
  Are the cables user replaceable? Just curious.

For the ER-4Pt at least, yes.  The plugs are quite tight though, they take a lot of force to pull out the first time.  Gentle rocking up and down will help ease the prongs out.  They connect at the point where the earpiece becomes a cylinder.  I don't have any of the other models, but I would guess they're all the same.

Feb 12, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #5,421 of 19,246
Yes. My only surprise is that you haven't read or searched before posting
wink.gif

Feb 12, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #5,422 of 19,246
  Yes. My only surprise is that you haven't read or searched before posting
wink.gif

Actually when I searched for ER4, I read somethings about PT model has not detachable cable (not P or S, just PT) and that's why I surprised now.

edit:
like http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-MicroPro-Noise-Isolating-Earphones/forum/-/-/1?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B004CXBJ6A
or http://www.accessoryjack.com/etymotic-er-4pt-portable-micropro-in-ear-headphones-black.html

Also one of ER-4PT sellers in sale/trade forum said "no" about detachable cables, even owners don't know that :)

Feb 12, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #5,423 of 19,246
Misinformation. The PT is the P bundled with some travel stuff and recently with an inline converter to S. So it gives you P and S + travel adapters.
It is now the ER4 to buy and available at very reasonable prices - much cheaper than original P or S.

Feb 12, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #5,425 of 19,246

Actually when I searched for ER4, I read somethings about PT model has not detachable cable (not P or S, just PT) and that's why I surprised now.

The ER4 has detachable cables...which cannot be bought separately.

- Ergo the only way to acquire said cable is via Etymotic Research directly, by sending them your ER4 when it breaks. Etymotic does not sell the cable for easy user replacement - they only replace/attach it themselves if they deem it necessary.

-- To break it down even more:The Etymotic Research ER4 has replaceable cables - but for you as an end user, it does not.

--- and before you ask, most (if any) cable makers don't make cables for the ER4 due to its unusual 45° angle pin.

...sums it up quite nicely i think...

Feb 12, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #5,427 of 19,246
  Does ER-4PT really has replaceable cable? I guessed it hasn't, really surprised now.

Thanks for info's guys, it was not question, just surprised like I said, because it was also weird to me, like "why PT has not that!".

The ER4 has detachable cables...which cannot be bought separately.

- Ergo the only way to acquire said cable is via Etymotic Research directly, by sending them your ER4 when it breaks. Etymotic does not sell the cable for easy user replacement - they only replace/attach it themselves if they deem it necessary.

-- To break it down even more:The Etymotic Research ER4 has replaceable cables - but for you as an end user, it does not.

--- and before you ask, most (if any) cable makers don't make cables for the ER4 due to its unusual 45° angle pin.

...sums it up quite nicely i think...

Thanks but I already know all of this stuff :) It was just about detachable cable on PTs, that was the missing/broken part for me :))

Feb 12, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #5,428 of 19,246

Thanks but I already know all of this stuff :) It was just about detachable cable on PTs, that was the missing/broken part for me :))

Ok then....

You can refer to the above posts describing the ER4pt as being ER4p + s-Adapter + airline adapter + other pointless junk so that they could increase the cost.

Feb 12, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #5,429 of 19,246
I think the reason a lot of people don't make er4 cables, is because they require the unique connection as well as the resistors in the wiring. While this isn't impossible, it isn't probably cost effect in small quantities or easy to make professionally compact. Just my thoughts, as I've considered making my own cable for it before I had it repaired.

I don't think the angle of the connector really matters as the pins come out of the housing straight. What you do after that is up to you. You could have them stick out a bit and then have a sharp right angle to wear the wires around your ears. That would be cool.

Anyway. I can't believe how good these sound. :p

Feb 12, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #5,430 of 19,246
  Ok then....

You can refer to the above posts describing the ER4pt as being ER4p + s-Adapter + airline adapter + other pointless junk so that they could increase the cost.

Except that the Pt is cheaper?

Also good news, it's not the cable that's messed up, turns out it's my Clip+'s headphone jack, it faked me out because it cuts in and out randomly even when not moving at all.  Still replacing the stock cable though, the triboelectrics drive me nuts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back