If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jul 8, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #4,576 of 19,254
  Yes actually. It sounded thinner to me than the ER4S, with hardly any bass and more treble tilt, kind of like the Tsar 350. It wasn't possible for me to get it anywhere near the reference plane though, due to its size. I'm not sure if that's required for the PR.

Hmm. Interesting. What you're saying makes sense; there is sign that the quarter wavelength resonance frequency is moved down in the (P)R measurement, pointing to less insertion than the ER4P, it looks like there's more extra 10-12 kHz resonance of the 711 coupler. The 4-5k bump looks like the switch from plastic to PVC acoustic tubing. I see that in most reshelled ER4 models. Don't know how it's audible. A tapered horn would probably help the PR interface. Well, actually making it custom-fit would probably help more.

I still can't get over how you guys can be okay with the comfort of the ER4. My ears are constantly sore any time after using them. I don't like foam tips or gliders.

Jul 8, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #4,577 of 19,254
Hmm. Interesting. What you're saying makes sense; there is sign that the quarter wavelength resonance frequency is moved down in the (P)R measurement, pointing to less insertion than the ER4P, it looks like there's more extra 10-12 kHz resonance of the 711 coupler. The 4-5k bump looks like the switch from plastic to PVC acoustic tubing. I see that in most reshelled ER4 models. Don't know how it's audible. A tapered horn would probably help the PR interface. Well, actually making it custom-fit would probably help more.

I still can't get over how you guys can be okay with the comfort of the ER4. My ears are constantly sore any time after using them. I don't like foam tips or gliders.

Yeah I don't remember if the PR is offered as a custom, but I'd imagine it might sound much better if it were. The Tsar 350 was pretty off imo. I never thought anyone would have the guts to offer less bass than the ER4S. This is with a guaranteed good seal too. Tried a bunch of tips.

As per comfort of the ER4S, I was lucky enough to find tips that fit me perfectly with a deep seal. Otherwise they can be quite uncomfortable for me as well.

Jul 8, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #4,578 of 19,254
I've been curious about Etymonic IEMs for a long time, and I think the time is finally here.  This is probably a dumb question, but should I go with the ER-4PT or the ER-4S?  Looks like they are both $299...

If it matters, these will be used with my Asgard 2 in my music rig and with a Fiio E7 / E9 combo on my PC.

Thanks!

Jul 8, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #4,579 of 19,254
^ I'd go with the PT. Why not? It's basically the S with the P option and I believe some other accessories added as well. 

Quote:

The Shure Olive tips have given me a good seal, etc., but I've never been able to get rid of the pain. These things hurt. I've heard of good results with a 3rd party doing the custom molds. Oddly enough, I've heard a lot of bad things about Ety custom molds. 

I may have to get that done one of these days. 

Jul 8, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #4,582 of 19,254
  For me, it has to be the Westone star tips. FTW! 

Those are o.k., but I like to triple up the triple flange ety tips to make them three times as long with 9 total flanges. Then I push those in as far as I can get them.

Jul 9, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #4,584 of 19,254
  Has anyone tried the Noble PR or FR in "R" mode?

It looks really similar to the ER4P:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/NoblePRRTuning.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/EtymoticER4PT.pdf

Yes actually. It sounded thinner to me than the ER4S, with hardly any bass and more treble tilt, kind of like the Tsar 350. It wasn't possible for me to get it anywhere near the reference plane though, due to its size. I'm not sure if that's required for the PR.

I have the Ety ER4S and Noble PR's on loan from Brannan.

To me they sound pretty close, but I hear the opposite. I think the Noble R mode has more bass than the ER4S. To me it's not a subtle difference especially on bass heavy tracks. I have owned the ER4S's for over 15 years and always loved the sound, but found it was too lean. With the Noble PR in the R configuration, I finally hear an Ety ER4S with more bass.  They should sound very similar since they are both single BA drivers. The measurements look really close to me.

I have no idea why I hear it differently than @gnarlsagan. I am using the triple flange tips on the ER4S and insert them really deep to get some bass. With the Noble PR, I use the large red silicone tips that come with them. They can't insert anywhere as deep as the Ety's, but once I get a good seal, the bass level is higher than the Ety's. I also find the Noble's much more comfortable since I don't have to insert the tips as far. 

Overall, I much prefer the Nobles.

Of course the Noble PR/FR are more than double the price of the Ety's so you have to factor that in. Although you are getting two different IEMs in one shell with the Nobles.

(BTW I was listening to a Windows laptop -> Schiit Wyrd -> Geek Out 450 -> Schiit Lyr 2)

Jul 9, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #4,585 of 19,254
I agree Darin. The Nobles definitely have a touch more bass, but still get close to the ER4S's accuracy in the mids and treble. Actually, I didn't feel the Noble had "more" bass per se. Just a less lean, rounder, more fun bass. Ety bass certainly be anemic with certain gear/recordings

I did pick up on a bit of sibilance on the Noble 4 (and "R") when I compared them to my ER4S. Bit of a peak around the sibilance region (which Tyll's plots seem to confirm). Not a deal breaker, but it's there if you're sensitive to treble smoothness like I am. ER4S were actually smoother and more tonally correct in that sense.

But the Noble is definitely a good alternative for folks who can't get along with the Ety sound/comfort/fit. A similar response curve above 1k and bit more fun on the low-end.
etysmile.gif

Jul 10, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #4,586 of 19,254
Just bought my third and final pair. Won't be selling them again, ever. 
etysmile.gif
 I may even get custom molds in the near future, although the triflanges aren't bad once you get used to them.

A quick question for all fellow ER4 lovers; I'm looking into getting a new DAP, either the Fiio X3 or iBasso DX50. Which pairs better with the ER4P (or S, I have the adapter)?

Jul 10, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #4,587 of 19,254
etysmile.gif

For some insane reason, I think I'm on my sixth or seventh pair... Still not sure if I'm keeping them :)

For me, the ER4 only falls short when I try to make it my one and only iem. It works really well in addition to others, able where others fail. I find it even more indispensable when its not the only one I own; its then I can appreciate its strengths and not niggle about its relatively small weaknesses. 

Jul 10, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #4,588 of 19,254
etysmile.gif
 I may even get custom molds in the near future, although the triflanges aren't bad once you get used to them.

A quick question for all fellow ER4 lovers; I'm looking into getting a new DAP, either the Fiio X3 or iBasso DX50. Which pairs better with the ER4P (or S, I have the adapter)?

I've been using the FiiO X3 with my ER4PT for a while now and it pairs very well with ER4P (without the resistor adapter) and ER4S (with the resistor adapter).

Jul 11, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #4,589 of 19,254

For some insane reason, I think I'm on my sixth or seventh pair... Still not sure if I'm keeping them :)

For me, the ER4 only falls short when I try to make it my one and only iem. It works really well in addition to others, able where others fail. I find it even more indispensable when its not the only one I own; its then I can appreciate its strengths and not niggle about its relatively small weaknesses. 

Good point. That's exactly how I feel. It's almost like a great reference for clarity and detail, but you need something that's not as painful on the ears and has a more warm and smooth sound to cover all bases. 

That said, I doubt I'll ever sell my Etys because they are always the benchmark and compete with all IEMs regardless of price. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back