If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jun 19, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #4,561 of 19,256
The pain of the double-edged sword.  The amazing isolation is what allows us to hear all the nuances of the music. But I've been away from home to take care of ailing parents, and realized that while enjoying music late at night to finally have some 'me time,' I might not hear a scream for help from across the house! Made we wonder if I'd hear a smoke detector go off either!!  I'm a bit paranoid/pessimistic by nature, so it's something I'm working to get over so I can still enjoy these.

Yes, the isolation is too good for its own boots at times, in one way it's excellent for hearing every minute detail and creating a pitch black background. On the other hand it's almost dangerous.

Jun 19, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #4,562 of 19,256

Quite a funny story to tell from this afternoon.

Having received my ER4S back from a long loan period I'd placed some new foam tips on and of course wanting to enjoy them had been listening from Tralucents DacAmp One (which sounds amazing btw). There I was happily listening away to Andrea Bocelli, browsing Head-fi without a care in the world. Though on the outside not to far away my flatmate had arrived home to a locked door knocking and knocking to get inside, he started kicking the door which of course got him no-where.

After that failed he went out the front and started screaming on the front lawn to let him in. Obviously with ER4S deeply in my ears and level of isolation I couldn't hear a damn thing. He was locked outside for a good 45 minutes before I finally took them off and discovered him absolutely furious! it was quite a strange sensation seeing him so infuriated when I'd been switched off the whole time.

Took him a good hour or two to get over it too.

The pain of the double-edged sword.  The amazing isolation is what allows us to hear all the nuances of the music. But I've been away from home to take care of ailing parents, and realized that while enjoying music late at night to finally have some 'me time,' I might not hear a scream for help from across the house! Made we wonder if I'd hear a smoke detector go off either!!  I'm a bit paranoid/pessimistic by nature, so it's something I'm working to get over so I can still enjoy these.

I posted a story a while back. I was at work and didn't hear the fire alarm go off. When i started noticing the hoards of people passing my cubicle i got an idea something was up. :p

I've heard people describe treble as sounding "hot", but oh man, that could have turned out badly.

Jun 19, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #4,563 of 19,256

I was once using my ER4s late at night in my dorm room, and couldn't hear the fire alarm until my roommate alerted me 
rolleyes.gif
 False alarm, thankfully. But yes, the isolation is THAT good.

Jun 19, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #4,564 of 19,256
So, I need a new cable (sound cuts out if the cable is touched), since I'm in the UK If I return the drivers and cable (they refuse to just send a cable) to etymotic for replacement; cable + shipping + customs tax works out around £100-130, I've had several cables replaced over the years by them, there must be better options!

I know 5-6 years ago the Apuresound cables were considered a good option but I'm not sure they are still operating? (and they look quite weak, can anyone comment?), I've found two other options but I haven't found much info about them:

The "Silver Seagull" er4 upgrade cable (http://www.oyaide.com/zephone/ETYMOTIC/ee_4.html), anyone heard of these or even have one of these? 

Then aparantly Forz Audioworks will recable, i have only found this: http://www.soundbsessive.com/room/review-forza-audioworks-recable-for-etymotic-er4/ anyone else had them recable er4s?

I want to avoid the AWWAN adaptors, I had those on an old pair of er4s and I found them not to be very secure - I think this would be my last resort...

I need a new cable also. I'd be curious about opinions too.

Jun 19, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #4,565 of 19,256
Jun 19, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #4,566 of 19,256
Yeah, I wouldn't get those. They look terribly made.

Jun 19, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #4,569 of 19,256
Found these on eBay
http://m.ebay.com/itm/300720155795

Those look nice, but I want to make my own cable. :) Apparently there aren't many quality er4s adapters for the driver/housing to make your own cable... ?

Jun 20, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #4,570 of 19,256
Those look nice, but I want to make my own cable. :) Apparently there aren't many quality er4s adapters for the driver/housing to make your own cable... ?

Doesn't look like it. Spent a lot of time looking for one back in the day. Just seems to be a niche thing. Maybe someone could splice an impedance adapter into a normal cable...

Jun 20, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #4,571 of 19,256

Doesn't look like it. Spent a lot of time looking for one back in the day. Just seems to be a niche thing. Maybe someone could splice an impedance adapter into a normal cable...

That would be easy enough. But I'm not sure how you would easily attach a cable to the drivers if you don't have an adapter? Unless you just mean repairing a cable that has a failed resistor section or bottom half?

Jul 8, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #4,574 of 19,256

Users who are viewing this thread

Back