If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jan 29, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #3,736 of 19,246
Those aren't Klipsch, but I do recommend them over the Klipsch biflange unless you have small ears. I have relatively small ears and even the large Klipsch biflange were too small for me. The tips you just linked are the ones I use, and the ones I just recommended in the post above yours. They're just a little bigger than the large Klipsch biflange.

I realized that very quickly and I remembered that the Klipsch biflanger didn't work for me, a long time ago, but since the size of my ears haven't changed that much since then, these seems to be worth a try for a few dollars.

Jan 29, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #3,737 of 19,246
  Just got my Westone cable and Er4s adapters. S[size=x-small]hipping was only a week for both, nice [/size]surprise[size=x-small]![/size]

[size=x-small]Removing original cables was a piece of cake.  Original cable ohmed out at 106.9 L 107.1 R.  The new adapters ohmed out at 106.0 L 106.1 R, so about 1 ohm lower and a slightly better match according to the Fluke.[/size]

[size=x-small]Over the ears is easy and comfortable.  Bend the clear plastic stems to stay put and they hold perfectly.  Sound awesome and no more weight around my neck or micro phonics!  Very happy camper [/size]
ksc75smile.gif

Should be the OEM setup.

I have those.  I had to wrap some black duct tape around the adapters to keep the cable from popping off.

These?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007X8LH5Y/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A10S6OB23UD1NX

No, these. http://www.klipsch.com/oval-ear-tips

Jan 29, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #3,740 of 19,246
anyone tried the White tips in the er4's?

i A/B'd the green filters in the mc3 and i noticed the white tips seem to be more analytical, where as the green tips seemed to added a little warmth.

i just wondered how the white filters behaved in the er4?

Jan 29, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #3,741 of 19,246
I use the Etymotic ER-4S with the disposable grey "glider" tips, for easy, comfortable insertion. Once they are inserted quite far into the ear and the air pressure has equalised, these are fantastic IEMs and the sound quality is very close to my reference Sennheiser HD540II. You hear everything in the recording. Compared to my HD540II, the ER-4S has slightly less bass weight and an aspect of the treble is slightly more forward in the sonic presentation. The ER-4S stereo image (soundstage) also seems a bit smaller than the full-size open-back HD540II, however the sound is certainly far from congested.

I also have a HD560 Ovation II as my second reference and the Etymotic ER-4S isn't far behind these either. All three of these devices beat my former Sennheiser HD600, with their exceptional tonal accuracy and transparency.

Jan 29, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #3,742 of 19,246
  I use the Etymotic ER-4S with the disposable grey "glider" tips, for easy, comfortable insertion. Once they are inserted quite far into the ear and the air pressure has equalised, these are fantastic IEMs and the sound quality is very close to my reference Sennheiser HD540II. You hear everything in the recording. Compared to my HD540II, the ER-4S has slightly less bass weight and an aspect of the treble is slightly more forward in the sonic presentation. The ER-4S stereo image (soundstage) also seems a bit smaller than the full-size open-back HD540II, however the sound is certainly far from congested.

I also have a HD560 Ovation II as my second reference and the Etymotic ER-4S isn't far behind these either. All three of these devices beat my former Sennheiser HD600, with their exceptional tonal accuracy and transparency.

well and u gotta think, ur talking about a full sized open back headphone only being slightly ahead of the er4s, thats pretty impressive for a non crossover single balanced armature driver in ear monitor.

its funny how the iem is probably one of the most deep seated iem i have ever tried , yet it still yeilds a wide soundstage. black magic i tell you black magic.

as far as accuracy is concerned the er4s is the best ive ever heard in accuracy/detail retrieval/soundstage/imagaing, it would be the perfect iem imo if the bass extension was a little more robust however what do you expect from a single driver iem, i mean shoot its already doing what most 3-4 driver iems cant. sure it has its drawbacks from being a single driver. but still. what its capable of doing is phenomenal imo, i am at least going to keep my er4pt+s and er4p's

Jan 29, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #3,743 of 19,246
Well, I'm going to post this again and ask that everyone try it.  I'm using triple flange as that seems to be most common.  Green filters for this one, this will not sound proper with any other filter.

Get those triple flange nice and deep and sealed and try this out.  It should sound identical with any eq app that uses q values.  I've tried a few and even used my ab switch to compare to see how the eq apps differed.  When the settings were identical the sound was identical.  The only exception is low shelf/high pass filters.  Those seemed to vary based on implementation or simply lacking those.  No problem, I didn't use any.

I've really put a lot of effort into this during critical listening with my studio monitor speakers which are extremely flat alesis monitors.  I used graphs to help isolate the necessary frequencies and whatnot.  Most of the adjustments are very minor (which says A LOT about the er4s), but all together they even out and open up the treble noticeably.  The bass sections are the most prominent, but isolated completely to the sub bass region, so there should be ZERO mid bass masking or anything to detract at all from the high frequencies.  Get used to the sound for a bit and see how you like it. It sounds very flat to my ears and makes me not want to listen to anything else. ha.  Songs with clean low end sound amazingly clean and clear, while songs with thumping bass portray the thump and deep impact properly without masking anything.  I hope you like it.  I'd love some feedback.

The last thing I'll say is that the great thing about this eq is, while I prefer the additional accuracy, if you don't want to deal with all the bands, you can just use the lowest three bass bands and it sounds excellent.  The other bands are more minor refinements, but really do give things a more realistic room presence and stuff like that.  Orchestras sound amazing.  You could even roll the three bass bands into one band with a wider q, but I used three to get the exact curvature.  Anyway, here it is:

ER4S Green Filter EQ - URF (Uber Reference Flatness)  :wink:

HzdBQ
320-11.5
2000-1.52.5
12000-11

Jan 29, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #3,744 of 19,246
Found some mushroom foam tips and I was finally able to insert ER4P all the way up to the second bend, then I started playing with Viper4Android.
While Joe Bloggs already made IRS profiles for shallow and medium insertion, there's no preset for deep insertion.
So I made some effort to try and get a Olive-Welti-esque response and here are my results:

ER4P, Green Filters, Mushroom tip@Reference Plane Insertion, Low Output Impedance driven

27 +6
55 +5
109 +3
219 +2
438 +2
875 +1
2k +0
4k+3
7k +0
14k +6

Master Output Gain -6dB

Jan 29, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #3,745 of 19,246
  Well, I'm going to post this again and ask that everyone try it.  I'm using triple flange as that seems to be most common.  Green filters for this one, this will not sound proper with any other filter.

Get those triple flange nice and deep and sealed and try this out.  It should sound identical with any eq app that uses q values.  I've tried a few and even used my ab switch to compare to see how the eq apps differed.  When the settings were identical the sound was identical.  The only exception is low shelf/high pass filters.  Those seemed to vary based on implementation or simply lacking those.  No problem, I didn't use any.

I've really put a lot of effort into this during critical listening with my studio monitor speakers which are extremely flat alesis monitors.  I used graphs to help isolate the necessary frequencies and whatnot.  Most of the adjustments are very minor (which says A LOT about the er4s), but all together they even out and open up the treble noticeably.  The bass sections are the most prominent, but isolated completely to the sub bass region, so there should be ZERO mid bass masking or anything to detract at all from the high frequencies.  Get used to the sound for a bit and see how you like it. It sounds very flat to my ears and makes me not want to listen to anything else. ha.  Songs with clean low end sound amazingly clean and clear, while songs with thumping bass portray the thump and deep impact properly without masking anything.  I hope you like it.  I'd love some feedback.

The last thing I'll say is that the great thing about this eq is, while I prefer the additional accuracy, if you don't want to deal with all the bands, you can just use the lowest three bass bands and it sounds excellent.  The other bands are more minor refinements, but really do give things a more realistic room presence and stuff like that.  Orchestras sound amazing.  You could even roll the three bass bands into one band with a wider q, but I used three to get the exact curvature.  Anyway, here it is:

HzdBQ
320-11.5
2000-1.52.5
12000-11

May I know which EQ software or plugin you're using? I'd like to try your setting and see if it'll work for me. Thanks

Jan 29, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #3,747 of 19,246
  Found some mushroom foam tips and I was finally able to insert ER4P all the way up to the second bend, then I started playing with Viper4Android.
While Joe Bloggs already made IRS profiles for shallow and medium insertion, there's no preset for deep insertion.
So I made some effort to try and get a Olive-Welti-esque response and here are my results:

ER4P, Green Filters, Mushroom tip@Reference Plane Insertion, Low Output Impedance driven

27 +6
55 +5
109 +3
219 +2
438 +2
875 +1
2k +0
4k+3
7k +0
14k +6

Master Output Gain -6dB

Hoshiyomi, it's always a good practice to cut offending frequencies than boost all of the frequencies you have listed above for proper EQ compensation.

Jan 29, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #3,748 of 19,246
Oh yeah, i forget to say you need a -6db overall gain cut for my eq.

I'm using a rockboxed fuze eq as well as my mac with apple's parametric equalizer. Both sounded identical with my ab switch using the same settings. You need to convert values if you're using eq with bandwidth.

Jan 29, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #3,749 of 19,246

HzdBQ
320-11.5
2000-1.52.5
12000-11

May I know which EQ software or plugin you're using? I'd like to try your setting and see if it'll work for me. Thanks

Oh yeah, i forget to say you need a -6db overall gain cut for my eq.

I'm using a rockboxed fuze eq as well as the apple parametric equalizer audio unit.  Both sounded identical with my ab switch using the same settings.  You need to convert values if you're using eq with bandwidth.  If you have an ipod or iphone, you can use the free accudio app and make a "custom" eq setting with these values.  I think that uses bandwidth though.  I can convert it and check if you want me to.  I'll also see what I can get with denon's app, although that is the only one that always seems different in terms of values for me, so before i check it, I don't recommend using denon app with my settings.

I usually prefer cuts, but as long as you lower the overall gain it equates to the same thing.  However, logically, trying to fix "bad frequencies" it's easier to simply counter those frequencies whether you're boosting or cutting.  Just a simpler process of elimination.

On another note, I've been playing around with boosting the 16khz or so about 2-4db with a medium q value, but I'm not settled on anything yet.

Jan 29, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #3,750 of 19,246
Here is an updated eq table with both q values and bandwidth values:

ER4S (Green Filters/Triple Flange Tips)
LDURF (LuisDent Uber Reference Flatness) EQ Settings  :wink: hehe

Q Values:
HzdBQ
320-11.5
2000-1.52.5
12000-11

Bandwidth Values:
HzdBBW
320-10.94