If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jan 5, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #3,511 of 19,246

Finally getting a chance to hear the famed Ety (thanks to shotgunshane for the loan).. some impressions vs the N4 (pictured above) coming.  The Ety he sent me has the red filters.  I'll say this right off the bat... Ety ER4P/S lovers: you will most likely enjoy the Noble 4.. a lot.

Nice! I'll get my N4 from the customs tomorrow and hopefully I'll enjoy it a lot. I'm hoping it will be at least slightly better than er4s

Jan 5, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #3,513 of 19,246
I love math.

Jan 5, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #3,514 of 19,246
I'm jealous about the iriver. I wish inexpensive DAPs with digital line outs still existed.

The Etys should be right up your alley. They sound exactly like your ideal preference and your set up + the Etys should result in lots of detail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IMO iriver got it right 10 years ago. i love my Iriver even though its not a  Super thin modern DAP it still has more imo capabilities that that of today.AK which is made by iriver offers fiber optic out, but at $1k+......it seems as the itiver-ihp series was ahead of its time, imo

i upgraded the battery to 2200mAH, And 80GB hdd..Rockbox'd It

i was rockin the ipod for a long time with the algorhythm solo.....but i was sick of itunes, it was a pain getting all my lossless files onto ipod, iriver drag and drop, love love love

Jan 6, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #3,515 of 19,246
Hey guys i had a question, since i got those S adapters i was doing some reading and it says that etymotic doesnt reccomend removing the removable cable....however i read that other people had no issues removing theirs, i read that the er4s is harder to remove?

my question is what is the best way to go about removing the cable without messing anything up?

Jan 6, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #3,516 of 19,246
Hey guys i had a question, since i got those S adapters i was doing some reading and it says that etymotic doesnt reccomend removing the removable cable....however i read that other people had no issues removing theirs, i read that the er4s is harder to remove?

my question is what is the best way to go about removing the cable without messing anything up?

The ER4S cable is very difficult to remove in my experience. I had to get a flat metal object to get in between the cable and the barrel to pry them apart. I ended up marking up the plastic housing of the cable connectors. Overall it was not worth it imo, as I wasn't able to achieve a deep enough fit for reference sound while using the adapters. Ymmv though.

Jan 7, 2014 at 5:57 AM Post #3,517 of 19,246

Not sure if this is the best advice, but when I removed my cables to install the S adapters, I just held the cable connector and the ER4 body firmly and pulled really hard. No damage at all...but not the safest approach.

Jan 7, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #3,518 of 19,246

Not sure if this is the best advice, but when I removed my cables to install the S adapters, I just held the cable connector and the ER4 body firmly and pulled really hard. No damage at all...but not the safest approach.

did the adapters work for you? as far as fit? or was it altered from the fit you originally got?

Jan 7, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #3,519 of 19,246
  did the adapters work for you? as far as fit? or was it altered from the fit you originally got?

What do you mean by the fit? If you're talking about how it feels wearing it while the adapters are on, it's not much different than stock. The Westone cable has less microphonics and it doesn't stick out as much as the stock one did. Comfort is still the same and the extra weight is negligible in my opinion (it's not noticeable to me at all). The adapters attach onto the earphone body just as tightly as it did with the stock cable, so I'm not worried at all about it coming off. What I'm worried that would come off is the Westone cable from the S adapter, but I've only seen slight gaps from the adapter to the Westone cable connector (not enough to interrupt the connection, just enough to see a little brass or whatever metal it is). Let me know if I didn't answer your question.

Jan 7, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #3,521 of 19,246
What do you mean by the fit? If you're talking about how it feels wearing it while the adapters are on, it's not much different than stock. The Westone cable has less microphonics and it doesn't stick out as much as the stock one did. Comfort is still the same and the extra weight is negligible in my opinion (it's not noticeable to me at all). The adapters attach onto the earphone body just as tightly as it did with the stock cable, so I'm not worried at all about it coming off. What I'm worried that would come off is the Westone cable from the S adapter, but I've only seen slight gaps from the adapter to the Westone cable connector (not enough to interrupt the connection, just enough to see a little brass or whatever metal it is). Let me know if I didn't answer your question.

Yes you answered my question perfectly. I am still on the fence about using the adapters even though I paid extra to have them shipped speed post. I don't want to break the er4p's or cause any issues. I guess I will just have to see how I feel.

Jan 7, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #3,522 of 19,246
Yes you answered my question perfectly. I am still on the fence about using the adapters even though I paid extra to have them shipped speed post. I don't want to break the er4p's or cause any issues. I guess I will just have to see how I feel.

I don't think it's as fragile as you think it is. It's a pretty solid connection, but I can see why they wouldn't recommend it. My only recommendation to you, if you decide to do it my way and just pull, is to hold it, and slowly apply outward pressure until it separates. Don't yank it or anything like that, and make sure as you're pulling, you're pulling away relatively straight, so you're not adding lateral forces to the terminals. I love the Etys with the adapters because the Westone cable is awesome and the wires go relatively downwards instead of creating a mini-arc, and it allows for more cable options if that's something you're interested in.

Jan 8, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #3,525 of 19,246
I recently bought a high quality CD player and have been listening to recordings through my ER-4P. WOw is all I have to say, I've always enjoyed these in the past 5 years I've had them! I've tried several other IEMs, but keep on going back to these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back