If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Dec 15, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #3,361 of 19,246
Hello, I'm new to the forum and need a little expertise.

I'm looking for upgrade my IEM's. I've had the ER6, ER6i and the HF5 (in that order) with each lasting about 2 years or so before upgrading to a newer model. I found that on the ER6 and ER6i the cable was always a little too delicate and I managed to pull it off a contact, leaving me with only either the left of right side working. The HF5 has been great the last 6-8 months but I gave them to my girlfriend so that she could study at school without having to hear any other noises/students in the background.

I've always wanted to get a pair of ER4's - either the P or PT but of late I've heard nothing but good things about the Westone 3 or 4. Does anyone have a recommendation of which of these two brands would be the superior IEM? I'm looking at a head to head of the ER4-PT and the Westone 3 as I may be able to acquire them for roughly the same price: $225 +/-. 

Just some background: I have always had Etymotic products. My music tastes are very ecclectic with mainly blues/rock, jazz, hiphop and instrumentals on heavy rotation, I can have IEM's in for as much as 4-8 hours a day, I'm may want to get custom tips made.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Dec 15, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #3,362 of 19,246
I've always wanted to get a pair of ER4's - either the P or PT but of late I've heard nothing but good things about the Westone 3 or 4. Does anyone have a recommendation of which of these two brands would be the superior IEM? I'm looking at a head to head of the ER4-PT and the Westone 3 as I may be able to acquire them for roughly the same price: $225 +/-.

Hold up....you can find a pair of ER4-PT for $225? I'm assuming USD here. If so, hook me up. Cheapest I found is $250 USD new from Etymotic's own site. I used a discount code of 20% off, but $225 is even better.

Dec 15, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #3,363 of 19,246

Hold up....you can find a pair of ER4-PT for $225? I'm assuming USD here. If so, hook me up. Cheapest I found is $250 USD new from Etymotic's own site. I used a discount code of 20% off, but $225 is even better.

Amazon has the P for $217. I got a coupon code for ACGear if anyone needs the PT at 20% off. One time use only. 

Dec 15, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #3,366 of 19,246
  I've always wanted to get a pair of ER4's - either the P or PT but of late I've heard nothing but good things about the Westone 3 or 4.

Let me help you with that... Westone house sound is a massive scoop out of the upper mids/lower treble and bloated mid bass presence.  What I like to call mud in the dark.  A picture is worth a thousand words...

Dec 15, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #3,367 of 19,246
I'm been an Ety owner for almost 10 years and in that time, every other IEM I have tried just doesn't fit right. I think once you are used to the slender barrel and deep tight fit of Ety's, moving to a bigger, bulkier IEM is hard to swallow - nothing else feels secure in my ear to me.

Even if an IEM sounds 10X better than my Ety's (which isn't likely to happen), I'm pretty much done trying anything else.

Dec 15, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #3,369 of 19,246

Let me help you with that... Westone house sound is a massive scoop out of the upper mids/lower treble and bloated mid bass presence.  What I like to call mud in the dark.  A picture is worth a thousand words...

I can't imagine anyone whose owned the W4R thinking that the frequency response matches of the 4R matches that graph. I just have such a hard time believing they got it right...

Dec 15, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #3,370 of 19,246

I can't imagine anyone whose owned the W4R thinking that the frequency response matches of the 4R matches that graph. I just have such a hard time believing they got it right...
I do. Absolutely. If you eq them to fix the issues based on that graph, they sound very flat like an er4s even...

Dec 15, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #3,371 of 19,246
I'm with you.. If I understand you? I have both and I love both for different reasons.. The w4r with the rite dap and amp ect.. Sounds amazing.. Even if there is that big scoop like they say in that graph.. Ok out of just a crummy ipod.. Yes I said crummy. Lol just my opinion.. They sound blah.. But I don't think they are really made for the ipod.. Which for the money think is a crock of doggie doo doo sorry but that's how I feel about apple.. But out of something that geared toward s sound quality they are simply amazing.. So are the etys.. The p version are made for a more portable use player kinda thing... But they will sound better with a better dap.. Amp.. I personally think it's a matter if taste which one is better.. Ok that's my rant for the day lol hope it made sense.. Happy listening every one.. Cheers :)

Dec 15, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #3,372 of 19,246
  I just have such a hard time believing they got it right...

If any other site had it different we could question it BUT they all have it that way.  If it makes you feel better, my UM3X is even worse /facepalm

Dec 15, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #3,373 of 19,246

I just have such a hard time believing they got it right...

If any other site had it different we could question it BUT they all have it that way.  If it makes you feel better, my UM3X is even worse /facepalm

It seems a little odd when you first listen to the 4r and look at the graphs, because it doesn't really sound like there is a huge dip anywhere, but I think that is because of the way the sound is presented.  The frequency response is pretty smooth in general, especially in the mids to lows.  Even though it's boosted, the changes are pretty gradual.  However, if you take any decent eq app and subtract the boosted areas properly and gradually like they are, you'll start to hear that it is in fact exactly as the graph shows.  These settings might not be perfect, and i've found the denon app doesn't translate perfectly to other apps, primarily in the db levels, but it's similar enough.  You'll see the eq I use is almost a negative image of their graphs:

http://handtokey.blogspot.com/2013/02/westone-4r-eq-settings.html

And that sounds very flat and accurate.  It is similar enough to something like the er4s with more bass.  It's just that the frequencies that are low in the graphs aren't really too drastic as they change.  In other words, the peak of the bass and treble at their highest points is pretty equal, and the lowest points as well, you're just getting a bit of dropout in the mid treble.  If you eq that up you hear depth come back and things do sound more real and spacious.

Dec 15, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #3,374 of 19,246
sorry but if you hesitate between er4 and W4, it simply means you have no idea what you're looking for. I highly suggest you spend more time asking yourself what you like and try to find reviews talking about what you've already owned and how they're discribed.

er4 has one of the most boosted high medium you can find, when W4 has one of the biggest dip in that same range. I like both for totally different reasons, but they're like night and day.
to me W4 is a warm relaxed sound with calm impacts, when the er4 is set with high priority setting on you brains and the impacts are so dry and fast that you can't do much except listen.

they actually complement each other well.

Dec 15, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #3,375 of 19,246

Just some background: I have always had Etymotic products. My music tastes are very ecclectic with mainly blues/rock, jazz, hiphop and instrumentals on heavy rotation, I can have IEM's in for as much as 4-8 hours a day, I'm may want to get custom tips made.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Well you are mighty bold coming here asking about upgrading to Westone 3 or 4 from any Ety product.  Most on this thread would even consider $1,200  JH13 or JH16 (let alone W4R)  total downgrades to ER4 because they have more than 1 driver.

Charts are for nerds and engineers.  They tell nothing about the emotional satisfaction you get from listening to music let alone the sound.  Imagine buying a car based on a spec sheet.

I will cut to the chase and leave out the BS.  In my 10 years here, I have owned ER4P (3x), ER4S (2x), HF5 and ER6i.  I enjoyed them all for their detail and if anyone had $100 to spend on an IEM I would wholeheartedly tell them to buy a HF5 without any hesitation.  That level of clean detail is a steal at that price point.  But that's where it ends.

W4R is a huge upgrade to ER4, period. 

Treble:  similar extension but W4 less fatiguing do to a slightly softer presentation.  Edge goes to W4
Midrange:  Again similar but W4 is much more lush and engaging (not as cold and sterile).
Bass:   No contest.  Ety extends deep but you just hear bass tones.  W4 extends equally deep or deeper but it is FAR more textured with some weight behind it.  Damn near perfect!  No bloat....very satisfying.
Soundstage:  W4 is MUCH larger and the overall presentation is much more holographic.  More 3D, more engaging.

W3 is a bass monster with a big lower midrange bump.  Midrange is recessed a bit and treble is artificially boosted.  Very detailed, fun, bold sounding IEM but not very balanced if that's what you are looking for.  I like it but coming from Etys W4 is definitely the better choice.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back