If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jan 18, 2018 at 3:27 AM Post #11,476 of 19,249
Also I think my right earphone was uniquely affected by some freak earwax accident because I've noticed the balance issue for months now without doing much about it, and never did the left channel build itself to "catch up" with the right channel. Like, there was stuff in the ring gap between the filter and casing in the right earphone, but nothing in the left. I think this can happen when you're putting a tip back on and the force shoves some stuff into and around the filter. So I'll definitely try being more careful to clean tips before replacing and see if that prevents my need to replace filters and clean inside.

In other news, ER4s have been my desktop mains for a while now. No more full-sized headphones. My opinion has settled into viewing them as a way to get a desktop speaker-like sound without actually using speakers. They disappear in my ears because of how unobtrusively neutral and speaker-like they are. So yeah, they, along with my re400s for bedtime, ended up being my end game as I predicted (ER4SR and ER4S/P).

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 3:42 AM Post #11,477 of 19,249
Also I think my right earphone was uniquely affected by some freak earwax accident because I've noticed the balance issue for months now without doing much about it, and never did the left channel build itself to "catch up" with the right channel. Like, there was stuff in the ring gap between the filter and casing in the right earphone, but nothing in the left. I think this can happen when you're putting a tip back on and the force shoves some stuff into and around the filter. So I'll definitely try being more careful to clean tips before replacing and see if that prevents my need to replace filters and clean inside.

In other news, ER4s have been my desktop mains for a while now. No more full-sized headphones. My opinion has settled into viewing them as a way to get a desktop speaker like sound without actually using speakers. They disappear in my ears because of how unobtrusively neutral and speaker-like they are.
Just clean your ear canal regularly. The don't clean the ear wax is not valid any more when you deep insert. The external dirt and crap will go into the ear canal as well so be sure to clean the ear tips as well as the ear canal before use and after use. At least daily for the eartips and weekly for ear canal.

Jan 18, 2018 at 3:48 AM Post #11,478 of 19,249
Can wax/dirt damage the driver or build up deep enough inside to permanently hamper driver functionality? As long as that isn't the case I'm alright with just doing what I've already been doing.

Jan 18, 2018 at 8:04 AM Post #11,479 of 19,249
Can wax/dirt damage the driver or build up deep enough inside to permanently hamper driver functionality? As long as that isn't the case I'm alright with just doing what I've already been doing.
Short answer no.
Longer answer, the damper blocks the wax outside. And if you feel weird sound changing just swap a new pair of dampers. But when you swap the dampers, it maybe possible to let some wax drop into the inner part if you are not careful. Even tho it still will not actually damage the driver, the wax may block out the inner nozzle of the driver thus block the sound.

Jan 18, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #11,480 of 19,249
I too clean my ears every other day. But just lightly because I read somewhere too much will most likely damage your ears.

Jan 18, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #11,482 of 19,249
With deep insert earphones that wouldn't be valid anymore. You need to clean often. Even tho it's actually better not using earphones lol.

That especially applies to me since I live in a tropical country. It's hot for the most part of the day.

Althought I only use these phones mainly at the office and sometime at home and at times if I am commuting.

Jan 18, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #11,483 of 19,249
try to go see an audiologist to check if you have some build up you keep pushing inside, and take that opportunity to ask for advice. by using IEMs, and even more so using deep insertion ones for hours each day, the natural way out for earwax might not be good enough anymore. doesn't mean you must go ruin yourself with Qtips and get ear infections for fun, or become an earwax warrior using some spray excessively(we need some earwax).

Jan 18, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #11,486 of 19,249
did you know? you can use dental water jets to flush your ears yourself!
it's a dangerous idea. TBH I reported you expecting to get the post removed, but apparently I'm alone thinking it's a super bad advice and a health hazard.
sure enough sending warm water(or some solution that will help dissolve earwax is one way some docs will use to remove the wax from a clogged ear sometimes. but of course they use very low pressure and really let the liquid do it's thing by flowing out naturally. aside from that, it's not even advised to have a shower jet reach the eardrum directly. so some sort of mini Kärcher pressure washer like the dental gear ones are not something to put in your ears!

Jan 18, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #11,487 of 19,249
did you know? you can use dental water jets to flush your ears yourself!

That could be dangerous. Most ENT’s (ear nose throat) don’t even recommend using a-tips!

I have asked 3 different ENT’s about the OTC solutions sold to clean the ears and all 3 said that it is not recommended.

PCP’s usually irrigate the ear canal to clean it. If it’s not enough, they’ll send you to an ENT. ENT’s use a tiny vacuum along with a microscope to remove the hard-to-remove wax.

Since our ears are the most important instrument for us, music lovers, it’s better to have our doctors do the cleaning when needed.

Jan 18, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #11,488 of 19,249
EtyDave, can you please provide us with a graph of ER3SE impedance curve?

Hey Max,

While a lot of reviewers have published impedance curve graphs for our earphones, I don't think that we ever have. I certainly don't have anything in what I would consider a publishable format at this point.

Jan 18, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #11,489 of 19,249
That could be dangerous. Most ENT’s (ear nose throat) don’t even recommend using a-tips!

I have asked 3 different ENT’s about the OTC solutions sold to clean the ears and all 3 said that it is not recommended.

PCP’s usually irrigate the ear canal to clean it. If it’s not enough, they’ll send you to an ENT. ENT’s use a tiny vacuum along with a microscope to remove the hard-to-remove wax.

Since our ears are the most important instrument for us, music lovers, it’s better to have our doctors do the cleaning when needed.

Yeah, I'd be very careful with that. If you've ever had your ear canal irrigated, you know that there can be some decent water pressure there. It's best done by somebody who knows what they are doing.

There are OTC wax removal options that are significantly less risky (ie: much lower water pressure). I've used a couple different types over the years and they have worked OK, although not as well as going to an ENT.

(Note: I am not a doctor. Not in real life, on web forums or on TV, so please don't take recommendations as medical advice. Read up on anything you put in your ears).

Jan 18, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #11,490 of 19,249
hm, you are right. i should not have written that. even if i know that dental water jets are fine (on lowest setting), someone could harm himself trying that. i should not put myself into a position where i could be responsible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back