If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Dec 9, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #11,222 of 19,251
ER3XR.png

ER3XR seems like the same shell/driver, just with a 22 Ohm resistor in place of the 45 Ohm.

Dec 9, 2017 at 8:28 AM Post #11,226 of 19,251
Dec 9, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #11,227 of 19,251
Hey Soundstige,
less strict channel matching
my dream IEM would be ER4 levels of matching below 100, maybe 200hz, and ER3 quality in all other frequencies, at the price point of an ER4XR/SR

Dec 9, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #11,228 of 19,251
Dec 9, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #11,230 of 19,251
Channel matching is pretty good - at least on the pair I measured:

I still prefer the sound of the ER4XR, but that's just me. YMMV.

Curious how 45 Ohm resistors cost $170 more than 22 Ohm resistor, hey? :wink:
Well, the er4s are still built in the US if I remember correctly, where they also run that compliance graph, which is a nice touch. I'm pretty sure the er3s are built in China where assembly is cheaper. It's not unlike the original er4p vs hf5; they had the same drivers, but different impedances and different manufacturing locations.

I too would like to see a graph comparing the er4sr to the er3 studio version.

Dec 9, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #11,233 of 19,251
It took several days but I managed to read through this entire thread. My interest in the ER4XR became piqued when I stumbled upon a thread* that letter graded earphones (A, B, etc.) and in the "A-" category are the Ety's among IEMs that cost 3x as much & more. The consensus is these seem to be winners at a decent price point.

So methinks I will be buying myself an early Christmas present to add to the stable. I am interested in Etymotic's balanced cable when that is released as well. Anyone try Null Audio cable with their balanced end & ER4SR connector?

(*)- I can't find that earphone letter-grade ranking thread now. If anyone know's what I'm talking/writing about and has the link can they please share?

TIA.

Dec 9, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #11,234 of 19,251
It took several days but I managed to read through this entire thread. My interest in the ER4XR became piqued when I stumbled upon a thread* that letter graded earphones (A, B, etc.) and in the "A-" category are the Ety's among IEMs that cost 3x as much & more. The consensus is these seem to be winners at a decent price point.

So methinks I will be buying myself an early Christmas present to add to the stable. I am interested in Etymotic's balanced cable when that is released as well. Anyone try Null Audio cable with their balanced end & ER4SR connector?

(*)- I can't find that earphone letter-grade ranking thread now. If anyone know's what I'm talking/writing about and has the link can they please share?

TIA.
I think you're referring to Crinacle's work: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cri...ies-lcdi4-isine20-cipher-updated-8-11.857498/

It's an impressive catalogue, but don't take any of his rankings or measurements too seriously. I recently explained my reservations about this on another thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/beyerdynamic-xelento.827372/page-45#post-13901804

Dec 9, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #11,235 of 19,251
^
Yes! That's the one! Thanks!

I do understand your skepticism to the ranking system and I as well take things like this cautiously. That's why I turned to this thread to read more on the Etymotic ER4 series. However, you do question the time it would take to A/B test all the combinations of earphones on the list. Yet you have managed to measure the SE846 "zillions" of times. Not to mention are there even a "zillion" different cables in existence? Oh the irony! :dt880smile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back