If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Feb 11, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #10,396 of 19,246
"When can we expect..." such entitlement...

And this is the first complaint I've ever heard about the lack of treble from an Etymotic IEM.

But yes, multi-driver IEMs - please introduce them - I cannot WAIT to deal with impedance swings! I'm really looking for something that sounds like mud when I plug them into something with >0.5 ohm impedance. My phone has something like 2.5 ohms. My SE846 sounds ******* dreadful through my phone and I'd really like an Etymotic product to do that. Especially with all that information between 10khz and 20khz that we are all missing out on.

This site sometimes...

Feb 11, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #10,397 of 19,246
"When can we expect..." such entitlement...

who knows, maybe they have a secret
And this is the first complaint I've ever heard about the lack of treble from an Etymotic IEM

i know, crazy right? such a shame, different people i guess
But yes, multi-driver IEMs - please introduce them - I cannot WAIT to deal with impedance swings! I'm really looking for something that sounds like mud when I plug them into something with >0.5 ohm impedance

thank god you have option to use single driver in ear with your phone
"my phone has something like 2.5 ohms. My SE846 sounds ******* dreadful through my phone

it is time for them to go
This site sometimes...

i know right, crazy crazy people that have different opinion than yours, they need to just stop, the headphone guru with 2.5 ohm phone out has spoken

Feb 11, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #10,398 of 19,246
Now now! You definitely have the right to state your opinion. And I definitely have the right to call it crazy.

But indeed, some day I'll be able to REALLY hear that 32-bit 384kHz recording of smashing glass using an Etymotic product! Just have to make sure I spend $400 on a cable first.

Feb 11, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #10,399 of 19,246
Oddly, in the true sense of "A Scanner Darkly"  the skeins of this thread epitomize the audio world.

I give thanks to "Being Z" that the thread has not be supeopnead to one of the other forums.
biggrin.gif

Few companies do I have faith in. Etymotic is one of those. Make progress when it is technologigally available and ignore gimmiks.

Feb 12, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #10,400 of 19,246
Greetings all,

Just received a pair of ER4-XR's last night.  Have been a long time owner of HF5's and thought, with the new upgrade I would take the plunge and try the new TOFL Ety.  Pretty happy so far, but I think I am a little surprised at how good the HF5's compare.  Thoughts so far:

1.  HF5's come pretty close, but not quite as good.  To be expected.  Law of diminishing returns means that the relationship between cost and quality is not linear.  Still XR's are a noticeable improvement.  Smoother, clearer, greater separation between instruments, and a touch bigger sound stage that is more 3D not just wider.  In fact I think the 3D improvement is more of the effect that I am hearing than the wider sound stage.
2.  Wonder what the SR's would sound like?
3.  Bass in XR's seems to be lifted to be more on an even level with the rest of the mix (mid's/high's).  At least compared to the HF5's which I think are actually considered to be warmer than the older S model (by reading only, never owned).  Mids more up front in the HF5's.  In some ways I like it that way, in others it makes the sound seem more compartmentalized (exaggerated description to what I hear but trying to give a sense of the sound signature)..
4.  XR's are harder to drive then my HF5's.  Using a Fiio X3 Gen 2.
5.  Ety gray foam tips seem to provide best overall sound.  Comply's dulls sound across spectrum.  Ety silicone flanges seem to thin the sound across the spectrum, and I am getting a good deep seat with them.  Sound is balanced and richest with gray Ety foam.
6. Wondering if I would be better served by SR?  I listen to all kinds of music but mostly rock, blues.  Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Aerosmith, a little Rammstein, some hair rock, Bonamassa, Robben Ford etc.  Do venture into some other areas, but this is my main diet.  No hip hop, no techno, minimal instrumental (except some techno swing).  I guess that sounds like XR territory more than SR.
7.  Also wondering if I should get a new DAP?  Maybe a new DAP would do more for sound than improvement of XR over HF5.

So that's it so far.  Right now I am debating whether to return and get the SR.  Not sure why.  I don't dislike what I am hearing.  Quite frankly how it sounds really depends on the recording,  Overall do like the Ety sound.  I guess I tend to like a clean separation and clarity.  No matter which Ety model you get some version of that description.

Welcome feedback, thoughts, musings.  Now back to reading gigundo Ety thread.

john

Feb 12, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #10,401 of 19,246
you need higher voltage for the xr, but I wouldn't say it's harder to drive. not only anything can make that IEM loud, but compared to it, the hf5 is quite the tricky fellow.  reaching relatively low impedance but most of all being so sensitive that many sources have audible hiss with it. the HF5 is one of the very few IEMs I never use without my external amp.

Feb 12, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #10,403 of 19,246
OPTIONAL SHORTER CABLE:

I own both the ER4SR, and now the ER4XR.  Both are excellent IEMs with a bit different sound presentation (articulate vs. warm).  One aspect I would like to see from Etymotic would be an optional shorter cable.  The 5FT cable is just too damn long.  

What are people's thoughts if Etymotic came out with an optional shorter cable...say half the length?  

I threw this idea out to EtyDave, but just wanted to see of anyone else feels this would be a nice accessory

Feb 12, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #10,407 of 19,246
Optional sure.  Replace as default no.  4ft is too short for mobile use, 6ft is ideal for home.  5ft is a good compromise if there is only one choice.

Feb 12, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #10,408 of 19,246
Optional sure.  Replace as default no.  4ft is too short for mobile use, 6ft is ideal for home.  5ft is a good compromise if there is only one choice.

5ft is also great for stage use. It's my default length anytime I'm considering cable length. And 6ft probably wouldn't bother me. But for me 5' is minimum.

And saying there can't be other options either. I'm all for a variety. Just pointing out my reasoning for my choice in cable length.

Feb 13, 2017 at 3:21 AM Post #10,409 of 19,246
so you suggest IEMs with crossovers just to end with some idealistic views on avoiding EQ? :evil:

Jesus Christ. You know what i knew youd insert you very own rebuttle to my post which wasnt even directed toward you. A lot of posts ive seen of yours on this site have been exactly that. Annoying as hell. In creating that post i wasnt looking forward to get into some pointless argument. I was just giving him some advice.

And dont forget that last sentance. MY 2 CENTS. Remember?

I dont care if my views on eq bother you.

Feb 13, 2017 at 5:57 AM Post #10,410 of 19,246
it has nothing to do with views about loving or disliking EQ. crossovers in IEMs apply fairly strong high pass and/or low pass filters to the different drivers. having no problem with that in IEMs while saying that EQ shouldn't be needed is at best a paradox.
maybe you haven't thought about it before, but I'm not sure getting mad and saying "I don't care" is the best way to address a mistake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back