If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Aug 8, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #9,016 of 19,254
It is (just about) a known fact that the next iPhone will do away with the headphone jack and replace it with a lightning jack. Any guess as to if Etymotics will start shipping with a lightning terminated end- or make people spend more on a replacement cable - and at what cost? It almost seems crazy not to wait on my purchase - but then again who knows how long it will take Ety to get up to speed with a new cable

I'm pretty sure cheap third party adapters will quickly and widely be available if the conventional headphone jack was to be dropped on newer smartphones. I don't think it is a good idea to rush and buy a high end headphone/IEM equipped with a proprietary jack. Imho the 3.5mm jack will remain the standard and there's no need to rush for exotic connectors. The universal 3.5 lasted decades.. The proprietary Apple lightning jack? In 5 years it'll be dead, and those who invested in lightning equipment will be good to pull out the credit card again.

Aug 9, 2016 at 12:12 AM Post #9,021 of 19,254
Thanks for the responses. It seems like tips impact is very individual. For now, I'm using foamies. Even though the flanges sound clearer(as less bass compared to treble), the notes are quite too thin to be considered as accurate for my taste.

I have yet to try Comply foamies. My guess they would enhance bass even more than Ety's foams.

Try the Comply P-Series foam eartips. Really nice. Way more comfort.

Aug 9, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #9,022 of 19,254

Thanks for the responses. It seems like tips impact is very individual. For now, I'm using foamies. Even though the flanges sound clearer(as less bass compared to treble), the notes are quite too thin to be considered as accurate for my taste.

I have yet to try Comply foamies. My guess they would enhance bass even more than Ety's foams.

Try the Comply P-Series foam eartips. Really nice. Way more comfort.

well that too depends on the ear. I can't use the P with anything going deep in my ear and absolutly can't stand them with Ety IEMs. the extended tube hurts me after some time. I love the P series for the opposite kind of IEM, those I really can't get deep enough, then they provide the isolation I often fail to get with flanges or even comply T.

Aug 9, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #9,023 of 19,254

well that too depends on the ear. I can't use the P with anything going deep in my ear and absolutly can't stand them with Ety IEMs. the extended tube hurts me after some time. I love the P series for the opposite kind of IEM, those I really can't get deep enough, then they provide the isolation I often fail to get with flanges or even comply T.

As you mentioned, Fit and comfort depend on the individual users ear canal, and comfort level with medium to deep insertion. I found the stock foams that Etymotic includes to be very uncomfortable. However the Comply-P series tips were a fantastic upgrade in comfort for me compared to the stock foams or silicone triple-flange tips. The extended tube didn't bother me.

I was just pitching in with my experience. I hope you all find something that is comfortable for you, because these are really nice iem's. Wish I'd never sold my pair.

Aug 10, 2016 at 12:12 AM Post #9,024 of 19,254
Comfort is comfort, how about the sound?
To me the P-100 just ruin the sound completely in comparison with the stock foams, at least in my case with my ears. 
They cut highs and raise lows.

Aug 10, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #9,025 of 19,254
I found out that I used to insert silicon tips too deep by comparing the length of silicon tips to my customs (second bend).

So, with corrected insertion depth, Ety's silicon tips sound similar to Ety's foam tips. Ok, maybe a lil bit difference across frequencies, but negligible (about 1dB).
I prefer the large silicon tips rather than foams, comfort wise.

Aug 10, 2016 at 5:49 AM Post #9,026 of 19,254
  Comfort is comfort, how about the sound?
To me the P-100 just ruin the sound completely in comparison with the stock foams, at least in my case with my ears. 
They cut highs and raise lows.

For me the P100's actually improve the bass slightly without any loss of high frequencies. But I do also make sure the push the end of the foam back before insertion to make sure it's not blocking any sound. So, for me at least, they improve the sound over any of the ety tips.

Aug 10, 2016 at 8:21 AM Post #9,027 of 19,254
  I believe the clamp that is holding the cable for ER4SR shirt clip is too weak. It detaches too easily from the cable. I fear I will loose it some day. 

The clamp for ER-4PT and ER-4S is much sturdier and NEVER detached from the cable during 10 years I have been using them. Sadly the shirt clips are not compatible between the new ER4SR and the older models.

Sorry for the late reply to this.  I've been on a rare vacation and need to catch up with the thread.

I agree with you on the shirt clip.  The first shirt clip we tooled up was way too tight and I think we went too far in the other direction.  We are working on the design right now.

Aug 10, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #9,028 of 19,254

Sorry for the late reply to this.  I've been on a rare vacation and need to catch up with the thread.

I agree with you on the shirt clip.  The first shirt clip we tooled up was way too tight and I think we went too far in the other direction.  We are working on the design right now.

I bought the ER4SR Two weeks ago so when the design is corrected how will we get the new clips?

Aug 10, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #9,029 of 19,254

I believe the clamp that is holding the cable for ER4SR shirt clip is too weak. It detaches too easily from the cable. I fear I will loose it some day. 

The clamp for ER-4PT and ER-4S is much sturdier and NEVER detached from the cable during 10 years I have been using them. Sadly the shirt clips are not compatible between the new ER4SR and the older models.

I made a post a while back. For the time being, wrapping a few wraps of scotch tape around the center piece works amazing well. It thickens the center piece just enough to be tigheter while also adding just enough friction/texture to keep it from being as slippery. Part of the issue with the stock clip is that it slips because the center piece is so smooth.

Aug 10, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #9,030 of 19,254
For anybody who like me find the triple flange uncomfortable, try the spinfit cp800.  I just bought the ER4SR, i've never liked foams especially comply as they alter the sound and reduces clarity. spinfit sounds very close to the triple flange and isolation is still good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back