If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jul 6, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #6,242 of 19,256
IEMs with dynamic driver don't necessarily need to have a vent in the housing, though many have, which mainly expands the sounstage. Some IEMs with dynamic drivers like the UE200 or Shure SE215 have got completely closed shells with out any vent and therefore a good isolation.
Though the Carbo Tenore is vented, to me its isolation is above average but below closed IEMs. In my ears, soundstage is rather on the small side.
An interesting thing I have noticed about the Carbo Tenore is that their tonality varies with insertion depth from a v-shaped sound (with a good amount of sub bass that doesn't affect upper bass, ground tone or mids wherefore the lows remind me somehow of the SE846 which sounds kind of similar in the lower regions) at regular insertion, to a darkish sound signature with recessed highs, warm mids and more emphasised ground tone when inserted deeply.
Though it may offer a good value for its price, in my honest opinion it can't really compete against the ER-4S which is on another level in terms of resolution, soundstage and instrument separation, what you will especially notice when playing more complex music with many instruments/sounds and fast attack in the bass. But that's just my perception.

My perception of the Carbon Tenores differs. I reckon it's a combination of subjectivity and the fact that some pairs actually differ in bass. You never know really what you're getting.

For me, the sound signature works similar to the ER4S relative to insertion depth. The mids and highs are there regardless of insertion depth. At low insertion depth, I cant hear any sub bass. That extends all the way to deep insertion, which is my preferred depth, where the sub-base is brilliant to my ears. The mids and treble aren't affected from what I can tell.

Jul 6, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #6,243 of 19,256
My er4s and hf5 have ruined every other pair of Iems I own. My gr07, tdk ba200, Yamaha eph100 all sound bloated not sharp and sloppy with the bass, they sounded amazing before i got the etymotics. Anyone had this happen? Even my well amped sennheiser hd598 don't sound as good anymore... :frowning2:

Jul 6, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #6,244 of 19,256
My er4s and hf5 have ruined every other pair of Iems I own. My gr07, tdk ba200, Yamaha eph100 all sound bloated not sharp and sloppy with the bass, they sounded amazing before i got the etymotics. Anyone had this happen? Even my well amped sennheiser hd598 don't sound as good anymore... :frowning2:

I'm using a Q701, so they're not ruined by em XD
The 598 is an average headphone for its price. It doesn't have any major faults, but nothing very special about em either. The ER-4 is pretty much superior to them in every way, except soundstage, imaging, comfort, and some may just find the 598s more enjoyable.
Closest thing I have to that is the Q701 ruining the M100 for me.

Jul 6, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #6,245 of 19,256
My er4s and hf5 have ruined every other pair of Iems I own. My gr07, tdk ba200, Yamaha eph100 all sound bloated not sharp and sloppy with the bass, they sounded amazing before i got the etymotics. Anyone had this happen? Even my well amped sennheiser hd598 don't sound as good anymore...
frown.gif

What genre of music do you listen to?

Jul 6, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #6,246 of 19,256
My er4s and hf5 have ruined every other pair of Iems I own. My gr07, tdk ba200, Yamaha eph100 all sound bloated not sharp and sloppy with the bass, they sounded amazing before i got the etymotics. Anyone had this happen? Even my well amped sennheiser hd598 don't sound as good anymore...
frown.gif

Yep. Damn near impossible to find anything superior.

Jul 6, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #6,247 of 19,256
I listen to almost everything but mostly classical, a lot of classic rock from the late 60's and 70's metal, electronic etc. my etymotics are so amazing with the treble and the detail is unmatched by my other 8 pairs of Iems I own.

Jul 7, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #6,248 of 19,256
frown.gif

Same here. ER4S is very special. Only universal iem that I found as upgrade in some areas (bass, soundstage, 3d image etc.) is CK100PRO.

Jul 7, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #6,249 of 19,256
I'm using a Q701, so they're not ruined by em XD
The 598 is an average headphone for its price. It doesn't have any major faults, but nothing very special about em either. The ER-4 is pretty much superior to them in every way, except soundstage, imaging, comfort, and some may just find the 598s more enjoyable.
Closest thing I have to that is the Q701 ruining the M100 for me.

ER4S make me question some IEM at triple/quad the cost. For example, 1Plus2, ASG-2.

While I find those mentioned a step above (at least for my preferences) its questionable just how much better.

This is why I never sell my Ety.

Jul 7, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #6,251 of 19,256
  Received the Zero Audio Carbon Tenores today after I saw all the hype and comparison to the ER4S, yet for a fraction of the price.

Been listening to them for four hours non-stop. Safe to say I think the hype is justified....

Are you sure these wouldn't be better compared to something like the Etymotic MC5 rather than the ER4S? These are $30 headphones, after all. The MC2 claims to be the best sound you can get under a $100. It seems doubtful that a $30 pair would not only sound better than the MC5, but would leapfrog the HF5 to rival the ER4S. Is it really *that* good?

Jul 7, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #6,252 of 19,256

Are you sure these wouldn't be better compared to something like the Etymotic MC5 rather than the ER4S? These are $30 headphones, after all. The MC2 claims to be the best sound you can get under a $100. It seems doubtful that a $30 pair would not only sound better than the MC5, but would leapfrog the HF5 to rival the ER4S. Is it really *that* good?

I've listened it long time ago and tenore is a pretty good for the price, maybe even more. But not anywhere as good as ER-4S if you value resolution, separation of instruments etc

Jul 7, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #6,253 of 19,256

ER4S make me question some IEM at triple/quad the cost. For example, 1Plus2, ASG-2.

While I find those mentioned a step above (at least for my preferences) its questionable just how much better.

This is why I never sell my Ety.

If you have synergy with ER4S, can hear bass and don't have problems with soundstage I doubt you will find something better. Maybe better in terms of personal prefences
wink_face.gif

P.S. : had a chance to listen to "legendary" Fitear ToGo 334 paired with Centrance Mini-M8. It's not better than ety, just a sidestep towards more fun sound signature

Jul 8, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #6,254 of 19,256
Anyone know the cheapest but still good way to replace the er4s cable? Somewhere safe to buy. Can I buy this stuff on Amazon? If so can someone give me a link. Thanks :)

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Jul 8, 2015 at 3:57 AM Post #6,255 of 19,256
Anyone know the cheapest but still good way to replace the er4s cable? Somewhere safe to buy. Can I buy this stuff on Amazon? If so can someone give me a link. Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't know what cheap is (we're in head-fi :) but it's hard to find ER4S cable because of this +75ohm issue. There's so many cheap cable that advertised as "ER4S cable" on ebay, aliexpress etc. but don't believe them, these cables don't include +75ohm which is necessary for ER4S.

I think best solution is buying this S adapter from awwan: http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-ETYMOTIC-ER4-IN-EARPHONE-CABLE-ADAPTOR-S-SHURE-CABLE-VERSION-/290630811178
or this westone style, 2-pin version: http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-ETYMOTIC-ER4-IN-EARPHONE-CABLE-ADAPTOR-S-/300592438512

Then you can use any MMCX cable you want with your ER4S because this S adapters include +75ohm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back