If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
May 10, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #5,911 of 19,251
  I used Shure olives for years but the new ones come with an ear wax filter that interferes with the er4s (i was unable to cut it out satisfactorily) and the material seemed different (although comparing with used ones might not be helpful)

Im looking for something else now, comply ones seem a bit on the expensive side and are not easily available in the UK, Klipsch ones weren't so good imo. thinking about trying the Westone foam tips but not sure if they will fit?

as for cases ive got this one and its decent enough and not huge

http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=4318

I've bought this for my Ety too, and its smaller than I thought. Smaller than the soft case that came with the ER4. It will fit the ER4 (have to coil the cables tighter) but suits the smaller/shorter hf/mc series cables better.

Size comparison: the hard case with the various Ety soft cases.

May 11, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #5,915 of 19,251
Doing some tests with ER4S and Pono Player tonight. For the first time when adding my JDS Labs C421 amp to many sources line out the Pono sounds more detailed and effortless 'without' the amp. This was never the case with DX50, DX90 or a few other players usually the amp always improved it.

May 11, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #5,916 of 19,251
The c421 has a 10.5 ohm output impedance while the pono is half that roughly. Neither is great for balanced armature iems, but the er4s should'nt see a very audible change with only 5ohm. So perhaps the pono is simply good enough that adding any other circuitry is just that, adding other circuitry...

May 11, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #5,917 of 19,251
Thanks for clarifying that castleofargh! Makes a lot of sense.

I wish there were more cable options for the ER4. If UE adapters existed, it would be nice. I'm a big fan of the cables on my recently purchased TripleFi 10. (I can't stand the sound of the TF10 compared to the ER4. What a horror show. Just awful.)

May 12, 2015 at 2:21 AM Post #5,918 of 19,251
The c421 has a 10.5 ohm output impedance while the pono is half that roughly. Neither is great for balanced armature iems, but the er4s should'nt see a very audible change with only 5ohm. So perhaps the pono is simply good enough that adding any other circuitry is just that, adding other circuitry...

I think I'll sell the C421, its had a pretty good innings here with me. 

And you're right, the 5ohm output impedance of Pono is well out of reach with ER4S.

I still think the amp added more power to the Ety, though the sound quality advantage was minimal from Pono's line out. 

May 12, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #5,919 of 19,251
I just tried the Red Filters and I found them to be a little too sibilant to me. I say that lightly. I like the airiness and very high freq details with the green filters. I do tend to bump the bass quite a bit to warm them up but I love the sound sig. I found the Red Filters brought down the sparkle enough to make me miss it. It did bring up the warmth a good amount though. To me the ER4's are treble kings and I prefer to keep their best feature best. I can still bump the EQ quite a bit and not get any distortion at all. In fact the ER4's are the cleanest sounding musical delivery system I have period. They even beat out my LCD-X and XC's. They LCD's almost sound grainy by comparison. Gotta love BA's. 

Long story short, Red's muted a treble/mids a little too much for my ears but did give the bass boost as promised. Maybe down the road when these Green Filters get dirty I'll try the Reds again. Until then.. I'll keep enjoying these!

May 12, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #5,920 of 19,251
  I just tried the Red Filters and I found them to be a little too sibilant to me. I say that lightly. I like the airiness and very high freq details with the green filters. I do tend to bump the bass quite a bit to warm them up but I love the sound sig. I found the Red Filters brought down the sparkle enough to make me miss it. It did bring up the warmth a good amount though. To me the ER4's are treble kings and I prefer to keep their best feature best. I can still bump the EQ quite a bit and not get any distortion at all. In fact the ER4's are the cleanest sounding musical delivery system I have period. They even beat out my LCD-X and XC's. They LCD's almost sound grainy by comparison. Gotta love BA's. 

Long story short, Red's muted a treble/mids a little too much for my ears but did give the bass boost as promised. Maybe down the road when these Green Filters get dirty I'll try the Reds again. Until then.. I'll keep enjoying these!

I agree greens have better treble, but for me they have a bit too much "honk" in the 2-3khz region that gets old fast. The red eliminate this almost completely while not affecting the overall treble "that much". And they make the bass seem a bit warmer relatively speaking as well. I would say I prefer red if I'm not using any EQ and green is I'm using EQ, as they require less EQ and maintain the treble more superbly. But both are excellent depending on preference. I think orange is where it starts to get just a hair to thin in the mid treble. It almost becomes V-shaped if that's possible with the er4s :wink:

They are absolutely incredibly clean though. I get an insane level of silence and smoothness when the song has it. So awesome. To this day, billions (yes, billions) of earphones later, the er4s is STILL the best in my opinion. The dunu titan 1 is pretty awesome, and i want it. lol but the er4s is still better. I'd be getting that primarily as a more comfortable, shallow fit alternative. They have superb frequency response, but a bit peakier in the treble, although it is manageable with the right tips, especially if you don't mind a bit of EQ. But even without EQ they are superb as well. The er4s is simply excellent.

Don Wilson said the sub bass is diminished a bit because of a barometric release necessary to allow them to work in flight. I say we get him to make a version without this. I would gladly buy TWO er4s and use the flight version when flying and the other version everywhere else for the enhanced sub bass. Maybe someone can figure out how to mod this? :p

May 12, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #5,921 of 19,251
I agree greens have better treble, but for me they have a bit too much "honk" in the 2-3khz region that gets old fast. The red eliminate this almost completely while not affecting the overall treble "that much". And they make the bass seem a bit warmer relatively speaking as well. I would say I prefer red if I'm not using any EQ and green is I'm using EQ, as they require less EQ and maintain the treble more superbly. But both are excellent depending on preference. I think orange is where it starts to get just a hair to thin in the mid treble. It almost becomes V-shaped if that's possible with the er4s :wink:

They are absolutely incredibly clean though. I get an insane level of silence and smoothness when the song has it. So awesome. To this day, billions (yes, billions) of earphones later, the er4s is STILL the best in my opinion. The dunu titan 1 is pretty awesome, and i want it. lol but the er4s is still better. I'd be getting that primarily as a more comfortable, shallow fit alternative. They have superb frequency response, but a bit peakier in the treble, although it is manageable with the right tips, especially if you don't mind a bit of EQ. But even without EQ they are superb as well. The er4s is simply excellent.

Don Wilson said the sub bass is diminished a bit because of a barometric release necessary to allow them to work in flight. I say we get him to make a version without this. I would gladly buy TWO er4s and use the flight version when flying and the other version everywhere else for the enhanced sub bass. Maybe someone can figure out how to mod this? :p

I tend to be sensitive to the 2-4khz range like with grado and other similarly upper mid spec cans. I'll give the reds another go and see how they fair. Maybe it was just that added mudd to the sound that I wasn't crazy about when I love the clean and lean sound these have.

May 13, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #5,922 of 19,251
I gave the reds another go and they are good. I did a side by side comparison with the red in my left and green in my right and I could definitely hear the upper mids swinging towards the right/greens. Treble was cut a very small amount like luisdent said but they aren't being overpowered so much by the upper mid frequenices.

Gotta get used to the soundstage again. It seems like every change I make with these ER4S's it takes some time to readjust whether it be a tip or a filter or even a cable. 

On a side note the Westone cables are freaking great. You have to trim the material overlap some but once you do they fit perfectly especially if you use the 90 degree adapters. They aren't as flush as a pair of Westone's but they are much better than Shure's or FiiO's offerings. 

May 15, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #5,923 of 19,251

westone star small greens are the best i have tried thus far, the bore is large, much larger than the etymotic's i feel like this gives the er4 alot more bass, highs mids and lows feel alot more effortless and i feel like its because the bore is larger giving you almost a traditional iem like w4r or um3x type open bore sound vs the smaller bore hole or port hole.....these are def the best i have tried.......also i have tested these for HOURS without pain or discomfort.

May 15, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #5,924 of 19,251
  westone star small greens are the best i have tried thus far, the bore is large, much larger than the etymotic's i feel like this gives the er4 alot more bass, highs mids and lows feel alot more effortless and i feel like its because the bore is larger giving you almost a traditional iem like w4r or um3x type open bore sound vs the smaller bore hole or port hole.....these are def the best i have tried.......also i have tested these for HOURS without pain or discomfort.

If you can, try the Green Tru-Fit Foames from Westone. I was using the Green Star tips but they kept falling out when working out. I switched to the longer Blues but they were doing the same thing. 

Next I tried the Green True-Fits and they stayed in and were better sounding plus the isolation was 5x better no joke. It went from incredible isolation to extreme isolation with the green true-fit foams.

You can buy a mixed pack from Amz for $15 that has everything. Def worth the time and trouble.

EDIT: Forgot to add that the foams are a bit warmer than the Stars. To me they tone down some of the mid harshness but leave room for more sparkle. Could just be me though. They are so close to your ear drum the differnces are minor. 

May 15, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #5,925 of 19,251

If you can, try the Green Tru-Fit Foames from Westone. I was using the Green Star tips but they kept falling out when working out. I switched to the longer Blues but they were doing the same thing. 

Next I tried the Green True-Fits and they stayed in and were better sounding plus the isolation was 5x better no joke. It went from incredible isolation to extreme isolation with the green true-fit foams.

You can buy a mixed pack from Amz for $15 that has everything. Def worth the time and trouble.

EDIT: Forgot to add that the foams are a bit warmer than the Stars. To me they tone down some of the mid harshness but leave room for more sparkle. Could just be me though. They are so close to your ear drum the differnces are minor. 

That's my thought on the Comply too. They almost give a perfect low to high balance and smoothness, but the do suck away just a bit of the airiness and extension in both ends. Bass is slightly less impactful and treble slightly less open. But with a deep for its still minor. But enough that I prefer silicon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back