If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Oct 2, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #2,806 of 19,246
The connectors will be all black and the right side will have a red dot on the newer cable. The red and blue is the older cable.

Oct 2, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #2,807 of 19,246
So, one more question: the red and blue color coded version of the ER-4S is the one with the older cable, right?  So specifically asking for the newer cable will get me the ER-4S with both earpieces gray?  (I kind of like the red and blue.  :frowning2:  )

Again, I believe gnarlsagan, but I asked for the newest er4s and got the red/blue version. Even after asking about the other version. Maybe Don Wilson can clear this up if he sees this?

I don't think they sound different, so I almost prefer my version because it at least looks tougher. Not sure though..

UPDATE:

O.k. Listen up, here's the deal! :wink: hehe

I just called Etymotic to get the facts on these different ER4S versions. They asked not to post their name, but said to please call them (Etymotic 1-888-389-6684) if you have any questions about what I'm about to say...

The CURRENT version of the ER4S in the UNITED STATES is the RED AND BLUE model with STRAIGHT cable (no braiding above the y-split).

The CURRENT version of the ER4S in EUROPE is the BLACK model with BRAIDED cable above the y-split.

They told me that anyone who orders them in the U.S. can request the black braided version of the ER4S and they will swap them for you or deliver that version if specified. However, the person I talked with wasn't aware of any plans to change this. They weren't aware of "selling off the last of the stock of red/blue" or anything like that. I'll ask Don, and they're going to let him know and see what he says about that part of it.

Otherwise, it seems like you essentially have a choice which you want if you specify one. But the red/blue model is the only current U.S. production model being sold in the U.S. This is all direct from Etymotic. So that explains why gnarlsagan got a pair swapped. They DID say the black braided cable reduces microphones a little (nothing drastic, but reduced). And they thought they were as durable as the red/blue model as well. So, basically, it sounds like the black ER4S with braided cable above the y-split is the way to go if you're buying them new or within your 30-day return period. I'm a bit far out having bought mine back in March. However, they STILL said I could buy the other version from them, if I like them pay $50 to exchange mine or if not return them for a refund. So, at least they gave me a decent alternative. I wouldn't expect to be able to do it this late anyway. I'm happy with my red/blue though. I like the look of them and they seem tough. The shirt clip almost completely reduces the microphonics, and without the clip the black version still has microphonics, so it isn't as if I wouldn't need the clip... So don't feel bad if you have the red/blue version. There isn't that much difference, and you get the "classic" look. :wink: hehe

Anyway, hope this helps clear things up. You have some options, and in my experience they have been extremely great with customer service and very lenient. We should appreciate that and hopefully they'll gain more sales and make an ER4S v2 with sub bass improvement. :wink: hahaha

I'll let you know if Don gets back to me with any more info.

Oct 2, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #2,808 of 19,246
Again, I believe gnarlsagan, but I asked for the newest er4s and got the red/blue version. Even after asking about the other version. Maybe Don Wilson can clear this up if he sees this?

I don't think they sound different, so I almost prefer my version because it at least looks tougher. Not sure though..

UPDATE:

O.k. Listen up, here's the deal!
wink.gif
hehe

I just called Etymotic to get the facts on these different ER4S versions. They asked not to post their name, but said to please call them (Etymotic 1-888-389-6684) if you have any questions about what I'm about to say...

The CURRENT version of the ER4S in the UNITED STATES is the RED AND BLUE model with STRAIGHT cable (no braiding above the y-split).

The CURRENT version of the ER4S in EUROPE is the BLACK model with BRAIDED cable above the y-split.

They told me that anyone who orders them in the U.S. can request the black braided version of the ER4S and they will swap them for you or deliver that version if specified. However, the person I talked with wasn't aware of any plans to change this. They weren't aware of "selling off the last of the stock of red/blue" or anything like that. I'll ask Don, and they're going to let him know and see what he says about that part of it.

Otherwise, it seems like you essentially have a choice which you want if you specify one. But the red/blue model is the only current U.S. production model being sold in the U.S. This is all direct from Etymotic. So that explains why gnarlsagan got a pair swapped. They DID say the black braided cable reduces microphones a little (nothing drastic, but reduced). And they thought they were as durable as the red/blue model as well. So, basically, it sounds like the black ER4S with braided cable above the y-split is the way to go if you're buying them new or within your 30-day return period. I'm a bit far out having bought mine back in March. However, they STILL said I could buy the other version from them, if I like them pay $50 to exchange mine or if not return them for a refund. So, at least they gave me a decent alternative. I wouldn't expect to be able to do it this late anyway. I'm happy with my red/blue though. I like the look of them and they seem tough. The shirt clip almost completely reduces the microphonics, and without the clip the black version still has microphonics, so it isn't as if I wouldn't need the clip... So don't feel bad if you have the red/blue version. There isn't that much difference, and you get the "classic" look.
wink.gif
hehe

Anyway, hope this helps clear things up. You have some options, and in my experience they have been extremely great with customer service and very lenient. We should appreciate that and hopefully they'll gain more sales and make an ER4S v2 with sub bass improvement.
wink.gif
hahaha

Awesome thanks for doing that. What's also weird though is that their web site only shows photos of the newer cable. One of the reasons I was upset when I got the older version was because when you order the ER4 from Etymotic, you only see pictures of the new cable. There is actually only a tiny picture of the ER4 with the older cable, which makes it seem as though it's there for posterity's sake. And check this out from Etymotic's Q&A on their ER4 page: 

I've just bought a second hand ER4P. Cable running above the splitter is braided. Connectors of the cable have different colours (i.e. one is entirely blue and the second one is entirely red). The splitter is green.

Do I have the old or the new version. Additionally, when approx. the new version was relased?

You have the older ER4P design. The ER4P cable design changed to all-black in 2006. The changes to the ER4P cable are cosmetic: the red/blue/green color scheme was discontinued and we reduced the amount of molding near the plug to allow for greater connectivity with various portable devices and cases.

Doesn't exactly add up right? Why would they still be producing and selling the older cable, with no actual pictures of it, while stating that the design changed in 2006? Well maybe the updated black cable is only for the ER4P right? No, because in their ER4S manual in English the picture of the ER4S/B has the updated black cable. 

So again I could be be wrong, but I think they're just selling off old stock. I don't think they're actually still producing the old-style cable. Hopefully Don Wilson can clear things up. It would just be nice for people to know what they're buying. It just seems rather misleading. 

Edit: Also, Headroom is a US based company that only seems to be selling the updated black cable version of the ER4S. 

Oct 2, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #2,809 of 19,246

Originally Posted by luisdent /img/forum/go_quote.gif

UPDATE:

O.k. Listen up, here's the deal!
wink.gif
hehe

Otherwise, it seems like you essentially have a choice which you want if you specify one. But the red/blue model is the only current U.S. production model being sold in the U.S. This is all direct from Etymotic. So that explains why gnarlsagan got a pair swapped. They DID say the black braided cable reduces microphones a little (nothing drastic, but reduced). And they thought they were as durable as the red/blue model as well. So, basically, it sounds like the black ER4S with braided cable above the y-split is the way to go if you're buying them new or within your 30-day return period. I'm a bit far out having bought mine back in March. However, they STILL said I could buy the other version from them, if I like them pay $50 to exchange mine or if not return them for a refund. So, at least they gave me a decent alternative. I wouldn't expect to be able to do it this late anyway. I'm happy with my red/blue though. I like the look of them and they seem tough. The shirt clip almost completely reduces the microphonics, and without the clip the black version still has microphonics, so it isn't as if I wouldn't need the clip... So don't feel bad if you have the red/blue version. There isn't that much difference, and you get the "classic" look.
wink.gif
hehe

Anyway, hope this helps clear things up. You have some options, and in my experience they have been extremely great with customer service and very lenient. We should appreciate that and hopefully they'll gain more sales and make an ER4S v2 with sub bass improvement.
wink.gif
hahaha

Awesome thanks for doing that. What's also weird though is that their web site only shows photos of the newer cable. One of the reasons I was upset when I got the older version was because when you order the ER4 from Etymotic, you only see pictures of the new cable. There is actually only a tiny picture of the ER4 with the older cable, which makes it seem as though it's there for posterity's sake. And check this out from Etymotic's Q&A on their ER4 page: 

I've just bought a second hand ER4P. Cable running above the splitter is braided. Connectors of the cable have different colours (i.e. one is entirely blue and the second one is entirely red). The splitter is green.

Do I have the old or the new version. Additionally, when approx. the new version was relased?

You have the older ER4P design. The ER4P cable design changed to all-black in 2006. The changes to the ER4P cable are cosmetic: the red/blue/green color scheme was discontinued and we reduced the amount of molding near the plug to allow for greater connectivity with various portable devices and cases.

Doesn't exactly add up right? Why would they still be producing and selling the older cable, with no actual pictures of it, while stating that the design changed in 2006? Well maybe the updated black cable is only for the ER4P right? No, because in their ER4S manual in English the picture of the ER4S/B has the updated black cable. 

So again I could be be wrong, but I think they're just selling off old stock. I don't think they're actually still producing the old-style cable. Hopefully Don Wilson can clear things up. It would just be nice for people to know what they're buying. It just seems rather misleading. 

Edit: Also, Headroom is a US based company that only seems to be selling the updated black cable version of the ER4S. 

The man himself has spoken.  I'll post his direct message.  Hopefully he doesn't mind.  If he does you might see this message disappear. haha  :-o

The braided wire is RoHS compliant, which is required to sell in Europe, and Asia.  The unbraided version are the older style that we still are using.  From a wire standpoint the unbraided one will last longer because the trace amounts of cadmium in the copper make it much more flexible.

We started with braided wire before RoHS regulations on the ER4P, and switched when required.  Unfortunately we over ordered the ER-4S cables when we were getting large orders for that model from Japan.  Those did not keep up at the pace we were ordering the cables, and we later couldn't sell them there due to regulations.

The ER-4S is a low seller in the US.  Once we sell off the unbraided version we will switch in the US also.  If we decide we need to switch it will happen sooner.  If your cable goes bad and needs replacement I can arrange to have the braided one used on your repair.  Actually I don't think we have any of the old ones left for repairs.

So it appears you were right, and the person I talked with in customer service (who happened to be the same person I talked to a while ago about this) was half right.  It seems they had the u.s./european part correct, but Don indeed verified that they will sell them off and switch to braided.

So there you have it. :)  Case closed.

Oct 2, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #2,810 of 19,246

The man himself has spoken.  I'll post his direct message.  Hopefully he doesn't mind.  If he does you might see this message disappear. haha  :-o

So it appears you were right, and the person I talked with in customer service (who happened to be the same person I talked to a while ago about this) was half right.  It seems they had the u.s./european part correct, but Don indeed verified that they will sell them off and switch to braided.

Awesome thanks for the professional sleuthing lol. Like I said I'm pretty sure I read something to that effect a while back, but Don's old posts are available anymore. 

That's interesting about the greater flexibility of the old cable. I kind of want to try the two cables side by side now. Luisdent, do you think you'd be able to wrap your cable by the connectors like mine? Also this photo is of the new cable for reference. Wrapping the cable like that is quite stable and allows for an over the ear fit that completely eliminates microphonics. 

Oct 2, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #2,811 of 19,246
OK. I'm confused. The NEWER version with the smaller molded plug and lacking the red/blue/green color scheme is braided from splitter to ears but NOT from splitter to 1/8" plug? Whereas the older one is all braided? Or vice versa? Or what? From the picture above, it seems that the older one is all braided, but from the description of the new cable as the "braided" cable, it sounds like the opposite. Anyway, at this point, I like the look of the newer, all black style better, so that's what I'll go for.

Also, while it's pretty clear that the iPhone 5S (which has more output power than the 5) can drive the ER-4S's, would the ER-4PT sound better straight out of the 5S? I like the idea of the 100 ohm impedance, honestly, and I gravitate towards neutral, linear, clear, "analytical" sound, so that's why I was leaning towards the 4S, but I'm buying these mainly for portable use, straight out of my iPhone, so if the 4PT are the way to go, then, well, that's the way I'll go. And one place I saw is selling the ER-4PT with the P to S adaptor included. Does that adaptor really make the ER-4PT into the equivalent of an ER-4S? I know this was asked before, and IIRC, the answer was, "well, not quite"--but I'd appreciate any current thoughts on the matter.

Oct 2, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #2,812 of 19,246

Awesome thanks for the professional sleuthing lol. Like I said I'm pretty sure I read something to that effect a while back, but Don's old posts are available anymore. 

That's interesting about the greater flexibility of the old cable. I kind of want to try the two cables side by side now. Luisdent, do you think you'd be able to wrap your cable by the connectors like mine? Also this photo is of the new cable for reference. Wrapping the cable like that is quite stable and allows for an over the ear fit that completely eliminates microphonics. 

Pardon my stupidity, but I'm having a hard time visualizing how you wrapped that. lol...

Oct 2, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #2,813 of 19,246
OK. I'm confused. The NEWER version with the smaller molded plug and lacking the red/blue/green color scheme is braided from splitter to ears but NOT from splitter to 1/8" plug? Whereas the older one is all braided? Or vice versa? Or what? From the picture above, it seems that the older one is all braided, but from the description of the new cable as the "braided" cable, it sounds like the opposite. Anyway, at this point, I like the look of the newer, all black style better, so that's what I'll go for.

Also, while it's pretty clear that the iPhone 5S (which has more output power than the 5) can drive the ER-4S's, would the ER-4PT sound better straight out of the 5S? I like the idea of the 100 ohm impedance, honestly, and I gravitate towards neutral, linear, clear, "analytical" sound, so that's why I was leaning towards the 4S, but I'm buying these mainly for portable use, straight out of my iPhone, so if the 4PT are the way to go, then, well, that's the way I'll go. And one place I saw is selling the ER-4PT with the P to S adaptor included. Does that adaptor really make the ER-4PT into the equivalent of an ER-4S? I know this was asked before, and IIRC, the answer was, "well, not quite"--but I'd appreciate any current thoughts on the matter.

In terms of accuracy, no.  Absolutely not.  The ER4S always sounds more accurate.  The ER4P would sound more muffled, or just less treble basically but be louder.  The ER4S sounds accurate and flat but not as loud.  But the iphone drives the ER4S very well, just not on the quietest of songs out there.

Also, the "old" ER4S is braided from the 3.5mm plug to the resistor in the middle, but it is wrapped in a sort of sheath (from what I can tell).  Above the resistor in the middle the "old" model has straight cables to the ear pieces which are fully red and blue.

The "new" ER4S is braided all throughout the entire cable, has what looks like a 'slightly' smaller resistor section and all black earpieces.

Oct 2, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #2,814 of 19,246

Oh, is that a twisty tie on the connector?  Did you just bend the cable so it's going the direct opposite direction and then twisty tie it?  That is doable.  The cable is flatter than it is round on the "old" model, because each side of the cable actually has to smaller cables molded together.  Ironically, they come out of the earpieces 90 degrees tilted.  So, I'm not sure, but it seems doable, but maybe not the same way?  Here's some pics if they help...  The cable is very flexible, but somewhat flat due to the "double" cable nature of each side...

It's not easy to get on camera, but if you look closely, you can see the cable is braided or turned or something inside the outer black sheath below the resistor.  

Oct 3, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #2,815 of 19,246
Oh, is that a twisty tie on the connector?  Did you just bend the cable so it's going the direct opposite direction and then twisty tie it?  That is doable.  The cable is flatter than it is round on the "old" model, because each side of the cable actually has to smaller cables molded together.  Ironically, they come out of the earpieces 90 degrees tilted.  So, I'm not sure, but it seems doable, but maybe not the same way?  Here's some pics if they help...  The cable is very flexible, but somewhat flat due to the "double" cable nature of each side...

It's not easy to get on camera, but if you look closely, you can see the cable is braided or turned or something inside the outer black sheath below the resistor.  

Yeah its just a twisty tie, but a plastic sheathed one instead of the paper sheathed ties.

It definitely looks doable on the old style cable. I recommend it, especially since it should be more flexible than the braided cable.

The lower part of your cable in the last pic looks exactly like the new cable. Some kind of braid covered by a thicker black sheath.

Oct 3, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #2,816 of 19,246
Put the red filters in tonight. Seems very subtle but bass and mids seem ever so slightly fuller but treble is diminished. I prefer the stock treble but the rest of the change is nice. I'll leave them In for a while and see how it goes.

Oct 3, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #2,817 of 19,246
Put the red filters in tonight. Seems very subtle but bass and mids seem ever so slightly fuller but treble is diminished. I prefer the stock treble but the rest of the change is nice. I'll leave them In for a while and see how it goes.

Give it some time. :wink:

Oct 4, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #2,818 of 19,246

Put it this way, I think if I am listening to classicals, or listening to music at a very low volume, I'd prefer the stock green filters. At louder volume where our hearing curves flatten out, I'd prefer the red filters more.

With the red filter, the ER4S is still less dark than the HD 600.

Oct 4, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #2,820 of 19,246
I had my first weird experience with the ER4S.  I was listening to them at work; just some quiet piano music. Slaving away on the servers from my RDP sessions at my desk when I noticed a bunch of people walking by.  I didn't think too much of it, but then it seemed like people kept looking at me.  Then after a minute I noticed a glimmer of light in my peripheral vision.  I thought it probably wasn't anything important.  When I noticed it was actually a rhythmic flashing I turned to look.  Apparently the fire alarm had gone off and everyone was leaving the building, while the server guy blissfully listened to his ER4S as slowly burned to death in the fire.

In reality, I removed my ER4S and exited the building.  But it was somewhat embarrassing.  I also had someone enter my cubicle and start talking to me the same day.  I didn't realize he was there until I turned to look at some papers and practically jumped out of my chair when I saw him standing two feet from me.

The price you pay for isolation I suppose.  The irony is that I was listening to gentle music at a quiet volume.  I think I'm getting between 35-40 NRR (noise reduction rating) based on comparing my foam server room Howard Leght earplugs, which are rated at 33 NRR.  In any case, be careful in certain situations I suppose. :p  Although, being killed while blissfully listening to your favorite music in pure isolation is a good way to go in my book. :wink:  "local man found dead with ER4S melted and fused to his ears..."  :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back