If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jul 9, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #18,782 of 19,269
My ER3SE sounds muffled and boomy on my Oneplus phone(using usbc adapter) but bright and delicious from my laptop. Any suggestions to match the sound from these two sources ?
It's android phones. Look up android SRC. The only work around for Android is using Tidal or local flac files and the UAPP app to bypass the onboard audio resampling.

Jul 12, 2023 at 4:26 AM Post #18,783 of 19,269
It took some work, but this combination (filter for the filter + "customized" tips + ear hooks) does work for me.

[Edit:] Yeah, except no. The cable slides inside (and sometimes out of) the ear hooks, pulling the ER4SR out. :triportsad:

Attachments

• 2023-07-12a.JPG
    2023-07-12a.JPG
    243.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 2023-07-12b.JPG
    2023-07-12b.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 0
  • ER4SR_earcut_1.jpg
    ER4SR_earcut_1.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 13, 2023 at 9:22 AM Post #18,784 of 19,269
My ER4P-T has gone dead in the left channel. Don't know if it's related to the driver or the cable, but it's well out of warranty (≈ 8 years old). Etymotic support could only offer a discount on a new purchase. Which of Etymotic's current offerings will work with my custom ear molds for the ER4P-T?

Jul 13, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #18,785 of 19,269
My ER4P-T has gone dead in the left channel. Don't know if it's related to the driver or the cable, but it's well out of warranty (≈ 8 years old). Etymotic support could only offer a discount on a new purchase. Which of Etymotic's current offerings will work with my custom ear molds for the ER4P-T?

All of the ER series (ER2, ER3, ER4) should work with ER4P-T earmolds.

I believe we have some P-T cables kicking around. If you can figure out if it's the cable (try swapping the Left and Right earpieces) then you may be able to get the old ones running again.

Jul 14, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #18,786 of 19,269
All of the ER series (ER2, ER3, ER4) should work with ER4P-T earmolds.

I believe we have some P-T cables kicking around. If you can figure out if it's the cable (try swapping the Left and Right earpieces) then you may be able to get the old ones running again.
Thanks for clarifying the ear mold compatibility. I swapped the earpieces and the problem moved with the swap, so it's the earpiece, not the cable. I haven't heard back from the support rep on the discount offer for a new purchase.

Jul 14, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #18,787 of 19,269
Thanks for clarifying the ear mold compatibility. I swapped the earpieces and the problem moved with the swap, so it's the earpiece, not the cable. I haven't heard back from the support rep on the discount offer for a new purchase.

Just curious, did you try changing the dampers? Sometimes, if they get clogged with earwax, it can block all output.

Jul 14, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #18,789 of 19,269
I didn't—need to find the little screw thingie. I'd be pretty surprised if that happened given they're in custom molds and I keep the molds clean with a little brush.
It may not be that, but it's worth checking.

Earwax sublimates when it warms up, so it can sometimes deposit directly on the damper. Again, that may not have happened here, but it's worth checking.

Jul 15, 2023 at 12:09 AM Post #18,790 of 19,269
I confirm. My filters looked clean, but they were clogged. Now I protect them with hearing-aid filters. (Yes, my filters have filters.)

The good news is that the Etymotic filters can be cleaned up. @MattD Be careful with the little screw device when you remove the filter, so as not to damage the filter. One turn of the device is usually enough to grip the filter and pull it out. Soak the filter you've removed in alcohol overnight, shake,* then let dry thoroughly (I put my own filter in a dessicant box).

* Shaking may not be necessary, but I do it in case some of the earwax got dislodged but stayed in the filter.

Jul 16, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #18,792 of 19,269
@EtyDave I can't find the screw device to remove the filters. What is the thread size? I can find a matching screw elsewhere and use needle nose pliers or a pin vise to hold it.
The tip of a pointy knife, a needle, maybe even a clip should be enough to get a grip on the green plastic that should be leveled with the end of the nozzle. You just push gently to the side with the needle almost at 90° from the nozzle’s direction(to avoid any risk of reaching and damaging the damping fabric), and slide the filter out.

Jul 16, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #18,793 of 19,269
@EtyDave I can't find the screw device to remove the filters. What is the thread size? I can find a matching screw elsewhere and use needle nose pliers or a pin vise to hold it.

Unfortunately, I’m traveling at the moment without access to the drawings. I’ll check next week when I’m back in the office.

Jul 17, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #18,794 of 19,269
Are there any other legitimate manufacturers of T2 cables?

I’ve gotten over how easily the stock cable tangles for the most part, but I would not mind getting a shorter cable.

Jul 17, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #18,795 of 19,269

Users who are viewing this thread

Back