If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Mar 12, 2023 at 11:20 PM Post #18,467 of 19,246
is it real usage of ety's medium triple flange, the lower part has to be stuck a little bit outside of your canal? I saw their instruction video: I can see the part of the flange from outside

Just depends on your ears and fit. I use the Comply Professional foam tips so I can't check with the triple flanges to tell you for sure, but back when I did use the triple flange tips I'm pretty sure I buried them all the way. However, if they seal in your ears and give you the sound you're looking for with a bit of the last flange sticking out then it's all good. That just means our ears are different.

Mar 15, 2023 at 9:40 PM Post #18,468 of 19,246
The ER4SR with just a simple bass shelf sounds insanely good. A125FA1A-3D1E-4690-9357-564DEFE8307B.jpeg

I’ve tried the following before, but the simple bass shelf sounds better and it takes the 3dB like nothing.
59B1002F-2E0B-4572-891F-1C4170344F89.jpeg

The second picture I posted is what it takes to get the ER4SR to measure perfectly flat in the bass all the way to 20hz according to Crinacles measurement. The problem is that it boosts 20hz a fair amount but it doesn’t do much above like 40hz.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2023 at 6:22 AM Post #18,470 of 19,246
I have the ER4PT and while I love the detail etc of them, I've always felt they are very light on bass.

Has any got a recommended PEQ setting that I could try to boost the sub bass and bass?
Maybe try what I had just posted right before this post. It’s 3dB starting at 125hz.

Mar 16, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #18,471 of 19,246
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but it looks to encompass Ety in general. A query I have is, would using Shure Olives on Etys change the FR by quite abit, due to the shallower insertion depth compared to the triple flange tips provided by Ety? If it does, should I just get the dual flanges Ety sells instead? Currently, the triple flanges are a pain to use, but I'm not willing to give up on my Etys yet, so I'm trying to come up with solutions on what to replace the triple flanges with. My ear canals are relatively small, so I suspect that's why I'm having such a hard time with them. I hope someone here has and is willing to answer, there's little on the market that sound like Etys, and I would like to keep them rather than sell them.

Mar 16, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #18,472 of 19,246
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but it looks to encompass Ety in general. A query I have is, would using Shure Olives on Etys change the FR by quite abit, due to the shallower insertion depth compared to the triple flange tips provided by Ety? If it does, should I just get the dual flanges Ety sells instead? Currently, the triple flanges are a pain to use, but I'm not willing to give up on my Etys yet, so I'm trying to come up with solutions on what to replace the triple flanges with. My ear canals are relatively small, so I suspect that's why I'm having such a hard time with them. I hope someone here has and is willing to answer, there's little on the market that sound like Etys, and I would like to keep them rather than sell them.
How much of a chance have you given the triple flange tips? They can take some getting used to for some people.

Mar 16, 2023 at 10:13 AM Post #18,474 of 19,246
I've actually had them on my MK5's for 3 months with no issues. However, after swapping over to my ER3XR's, they hurt even with a slightest adjustment of my head, espescially if I tilt left or right.
Gotcha.

Mar 16, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #18,475 of 19,246

I liked the Olives okay. As long as you get a good, stable seal with them you should still get decent performance from your Etys. I quit using them for two reasons: 1) No matter how deep I inserted them the seal woukd break basically whenever I moved or spoke or anything and 2) I tried the Comply Professional foam tips which were even more comfortable and worked MUCH better. That said, I have at least one friend that still prefers and uses the Olives.

You should also take a look at the Westone tips as they seal better than the Olives in my experience and they don't go as deep as the triple flanges. Also, Final Audio E type tips come with adapters to fit narrow nozzles like the Etys and I found them to seal better than the Olives as well.

Hope this helps. Happy hunting and happy listening!

Mar 16, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #18,476 of 19,246
I liked the Olives okay. As long as you get a good, stable seal with them you should still get decent performance from your Etys. I quit using them for two reasons: 1) No matter how deep I inserted them the seal woukd break basically whenever I moved or spoke or anything and 2) I tried the Comply Professional foam tips which were even more comfortable and worked MUCH better. That said, I have at least one friend that still prefers and uses the Olives.

You should also take a look at the Westone tips as they seal better than the Olives in my experience and they don't go as deep as the triple flanges. Also, Final Audio E type tips come with adapters to fit narrow nozzles like the Etys and I found them to seal better than the Olives as well.

Hope this helps. Happy hunting and happy listening!
The westone tips looks to be a good option, thanks for the suggestion.

Mar 16, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #18,477 of 19,246
The westone tips looks to be a good option, thanks for the suggestion.

No problem. I know it can seem like there aren't many options because of the specialized nozzles on the Etys, but back when Shure, Westone, and Etymotic were the big three in the IEM game these nozzles were more common so many of the ear tip makers that have been around longer than just during the latest ChiFi explosion will have at least one version of their tips that fit the Ety style nozzles or they'll have adapters as in the case of Final Audio. Point being, if you love your Etys you won't get that sound, presentation, and performance anywhere else for even close to the same price so don't give up. There's an Etymotic compatible tip out there for everyone.

FWIW, I thing the Westones are probably my second favorite tips behind my Comply Pros. They're quite comfy and they seal nicely with a stable fit that doesn't tickle your brain lol!

I'm currently on the road, but I have a pair of EarTune Fidelity custom tips waiting for me at home. I had ear scans done for a pair of CIEMs I had made so I figured now would be a good time to try custom tips. I'll definitely post something here about how they work with my ER4XRs when I finally get home to try them.

Anyways, good luck and happy listening!

Mar 17, 2023 at 3:10 AM Post #18,479 of 19,246
I bought ety's own dual flange silicon tips a while ago - they are more comfortable than the grey (soft) try-flange tips but at the same time isolate less, so there's a trade-off. I also use Comply Tx-100, which is very good, but much less durable than the silicon ones. So there's another trade-off.

All three are recommendable, just make sure what are the "chose two out of three" you want :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back