If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Nov 25, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #17,281 of 19,251
If the Shure foam tips are causing the bass response to sound "big and bloated", it may be because you are pushing the foam tip TOO far into your ear canal, and smashing the sound hole. I just barely push the foam tips into my ear canal so that I can tell there is a complete seal, and that is all -- pushing in farther starts to smash the sound hole for me.
hmm might try a shallower fit. Thank you for the suggestion btw.

Nov 25, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #17,282 of 19,251
But yeah, manufacturers keep trying to add more bass here and there. Perhaps Harman Target is the cause, or it's just that people like it, audiophiles or not. And it kinda saddens me because many IEMs out there have interesting things going on with their designs or their price but yeah... Bass...
Every bassy IEM I've tried had smearing & coloured lower mids, Then I groan when they're pushing 6 ~ 10db like with the Senn IE900. Then everyone mostly on Reddit act like that "Neutral" when that pretty much where bass head mode kicks in. Many who 12 years ago would've laughed at by going "Stick to beats kiddo". It is really hard to try other stuff like that after getting used to the ER4SR flat bass.

Nov 25, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #17,283 of 19,251
I imagine that a lot of contemporary artists, esp. in a genre like hip hop, probably understand and anticipate that most listeners will be hearing their music with bass-heavy phones, and thus they factor that into how it's produced. So in fact for such music, listening on an absolutely flat pair of phones may be not how it was intended, and may be bass light for that reason. For example, I imagine that when the Kendrick Lamar masterpiece "To Pimp a Butterfly" was made, they didn't decide what levels were best for the finished work based on how it would sound on a pair like the ER4SR.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2021 at 3:47 AM Post #17,284 of 19,251
I imagine that a lot of contemporary artists, esp. in a genre like hip hop, probably understand and anticipate that most listeners will be hearing their music with bass-heavy phones, and thus they factor that into how it's produced. So in fact for such music, listening on an absolutely flat pair of phones may be not how it was intended, and may be bass light for that reason. For example, I imagine that when the Kendrick Lamar masterpiece "To Pimp a Butterfly" was made, they didn't decide what levels were best for the finished work based on how it would sound on a pair like the ER4SR.
The ER4SR just outputs what It fed, With bands like Electric Wizard you quickly forget the 4SR/2SE/3SE are flat bass wise. But It just as easy to just do a 6db bass boost on the ER4SR for people not used to flat IEM's, The driver not weak either since the Harman target EQ use a 12.7db 79Hz low shelf.

Nov 26, 2021 at 5:03 AM Post #17,285 of 19,251
The ER4SR just outputs what It fed, With bands like Electric Wizard you quickly forget the 4SR/2SE/3SE are flat bass wise. But It just as easy to just do a 6db bass boost on the ER4SR for people not used to flat IEM's, The driver not weak either since the Harman target EQ use a 12.7db 79Hz low shelf.

Sure, it outputs what it's fed. And that's good, if what its fed is intended to be heard that way, which I think is usually the case for most genres of music. My point is just that some contemporary artists that want you to hear a huge amt. of bass probably tone it down a bit in the mix in anticipation that otherwise it'll bloat in a pair of Beats or most phones used today, with their innate enhanced bass response. So in this case the SR, outputting what its fed, is actually not what you're meant to hear. Sure you can do a bass boost to compensate for that, personally I dont like using an equalizer if I can avoid it.

Nov 27, 2021 at 1:01 AM Post #17,289 of 19,251
looking for iem for mixing and playing guitar during times when over ears (sen hd58x) are just too heavy. i see er3 on sale but not er4. wait for sale on er4 or grab er3? big difference?
some say that it’s only a matter of er4 being perfectly matched between two channels, while er3 don’t go through such thorough test. Sound wise, it’s quite similar. But if you ask me, I’ll get er4 anyway just because the price isn’t that much different.

Nov 27, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #17,290 of 19,251
Actually, I have applied a 10dB low shelf centered at 100Hz in the past. On a somewhat bass-heavy track with a low-pass filter at 100Hz, I could actually hear the right driver rattling.
Sounds like your pair was defected, Never had that issue on the ER4/ER3 when I did 6 ~ 10db 100Hz Low shelf on them. If anything I found the ER2SE more unstable when doing It since It made it obvious It couldn't cope with short bursts of heavy bass like in Breakcore, death metal, Grindcore, Industrial.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #17,291 of 19,251
looking for iem for mixing and playing guitar during times when over ears (sen hd58x) are just too heavy. i see er3 on sale but not er4. wait for sale on er4 or grab er3? big difference?

some say that it’s only a matter of er4 being perfectly matched between two channels, while er3 don’t go through such thorough test. Sound wise, it’s quite similar. But if you ask me, I’ll get er4 anyway just because the price isn’t that much different.
That depends on whether you consider ER3SE vs. ER4SR or ER3XR vs. ER4XR. To my ears: (and these are my personal opinion. Not official Etymotic view)
  • ER3SE vs. ER4SR - I agree with @AryaTwirl that sound wise it is very similar. I doubt I can tell them apart on a blind test...
  • ER3XR vs. ER4XR - the ER4XR is better. Period.
For more info and my own take - read my impressions. Index to all of them at: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ety...ssions-index-in-1st-post.956629/post-16239050

Nov 27, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #17,292 of 19,251
Wow wow wow!!! Just been A/B/C comparing my ER4SR and ER2XR to the newly arrived EVO.

Just gonna say it is an evolution through and through. The sheer level of body that it gives is simply insane. Makes the other two seem skinny. And it doesn’t bloat at all, it’s all accurate as my 4SR. The bass is so delicious and complex and masterfully resolved.

Keeping this beauty no doubt

Nov 27, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #17,293 of 19,251
Wow wow wow!!! Just been A/B/C comparing my ER4SR and ER2XR to the newly arrived EVO.

Just gonna say it is an evolution through and through. The sheer level of body that it gives is simply insane. Makes the other two seem skinny. And it doesn’t bloat at all, it’s all accurate as my 4SR. The bass is so delicious and complex and masterfully resolved.

Keeping this beauty no doubt
Interesting! So Evo is better in the bass than the 4XR as you remember?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back