If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Nov 27, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #17,296 of 19,241
Interesting! So Evo is better in the bass than the 4XR as you remember?
Oh definitely. The 4XR is a slight boost to what the 4SR already provides, but the EVO brings in a completely new set of details and articulations. Perhaps that’s why I returned the 4XR, because it sounded bloated to me in some ways. Especially in heavy metal and when I was drumming along to my mates guitar during jamming sessions, the guitar would be muddled by the increased bass. But now that they have added 2 separate bass drivers and kept mids and treble on another, it has retained the mid and upper detailing of the 4SR and at the same time brought in a new dimension of bass and given the whole sound more body. By body I mean it just has that thick presence. Not bloated but…just there. Sorry so hard to explain. It’s very welcome anyhow :)

Actually just editing this to say one thing. Until about 12 hours ago, the 4SR were my endgame IEM for the last 3 years. I love then to bits, but the EVO give me everything that the 4SR do but add a huge level of enjoyment to my music all of a sudden. I’m smiling at my tracks again :)

Also I know someone will say that this can happen with any new change. Well I’ll answer this with a resounding ‘no’ because in the last few months I have indeed tried the CA Andromeda, Solaris, the Shure SE846 (again) and ACS Custom Evolve. None have done what the EVO has. When Etymotic say this is the most accurate multi-driver IEM I can see what they are getting at here. Bold bold booold claims, but pretty justified. Not just accurate, but fun!

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021 at 5:40 AM Post #17,297 of 19,241
PSX_20211128_183910.jpg

Mono headset cable.

Nov 28, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #17,298 of 19,241
to those who have tried Evo, how do you put it into your ears? The usual barrel ones are inserted by pulling your ears with the other hand (like Ety tutorial video), but because Evo is quite big, do you still have to do that, or you just shove them into your ears right away?

Just wondering as I probably wont ever see that thing ever here in my country anytime soon to try it myself :D

Nov 28, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #17,299 of 19,241
to those who have tried Evo, how do you put it into your ears? The usual barrel ones are inserted by pulling your ears with the other hand (like Ety tutorial video), but because Evo is quite big, do you still have to do that, or you just shove them into your ears right away?

Just wondering as I probably wont ever see that thing ever here in my country anytime soon to try it myself :D

I lift my ear slightly and rotate the nozzle until the nozzle is deep in the canal. Really is a comfortable earphone once in place.

Nov 28, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #17,300 of 19,241

I actually find the fit is excellent and perhaps even more secure than barrels. I lift the ear with one hand and twist and insert them (just like with a barrel) but then the extra step is to twist them back (top of housing back) so the concha fit works. Sits nice and flush :)
And sound isolation with exact same tips is marginally better for me

Nov 28, 2021 at 7:46 PM Post #17,301 of 19,241
I lift my ear slightly and rotate the nozzle until the nozzle is deep in the canal. Really is a comfortable earphone once in place.

I actually find the fit is excellent and perhaps even more secure than barrels. I lift the ear with one hand and twist and insert them (just like with a barrel) but then the extra step is to twist them back (top of housing back) so the concha fit works. Sits nice and flush :)
And sound isolation with exact same tips is marginally better for me

The process sounds pretty similar. I guess I will just buy it blind if I finally get the fund :D Thank you for the answers.

Nov 29, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #17,304 of 19,241
Is there any triple flange tips that are bigger than small frosted ones but smaller than big clear ones?
I don't think there is. However, someone once mentioned that the grey ones are a bit smaller than the clear ones. I have personally tried both of them, but they feel similar. Although, the grey ones don't hurt my ear like the clear ones. Probably because I'm just too sensitive with the rubbery surface that the clear ones have. Maybe Shure olives (bass a bit.. big for my taste though) and ety grey foams could be the solution.

Nov 29, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #17,305 of 19,241
I don't think there is. However, someone once mentioned that the grey ones are a bit smaller than the clear ones. I have personally tried both of them, but they feel similar. Although, the grey ones don't hurt my ear like the clear ones. Probably because I'm just too sensitive with the rubbery surface that the clear ones have. Maybe Shure olives (bass a bit.. big for my taste though) and ety grey foams could be the solution.
I have simillar problem with clear ones, I think I will just try grey large ones and hopefully its better than clear ones

Nov 30, 2021 at 12:00 AM Post #17,306 of 19,241
looking for iem for mixing and playing guitar during times when over ears (sen hd58x) are just too heavy. i see er3 on sale but not er4. wait for sale on er4 or grab er3? big difference?
My ER4SR is for sale in Classifieds. IMO, the 4 is better than the ER3, but not by a big margin.

Dec 1, 2021 at 2:49 AM Post #17,307 of 19,241
Love my er4sr except walking with it, the cable noice and microphonic is super annoying, is EVo my solution?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back