If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Feb 14, 2021 at 5:11 AM Post #16,367 of 19,246
next - and this isn't something you can control - is decay. the instant sound comes out and stops it has to decay back to silence. the more decay, the more thick something sounds. that is why DD earphones often sound more weighty even with a similar response. they often have more decay. BA earphones are known to be thin and have fast decay. this give the earphone a high precision quality where things sound "fast" and precise but weight is less...

That also why DD headphones sound much cleaner when the 100 ~ 250Hz area is cut by few db. I tried that EQ band but left the Q at 1.3 since it where the ER2XR is quite hot at, 1.2db in the 500 ~ 1000Hz is a must too since stuff there sounds muted.

I agree, HD 600 sounds veiled compared to my ER4SR, and vocals are further back. From what I hear, the AD2000X or ADX5000 might be a closer equivalent to Etys, but those are expensive.

Or just bump up the mids/treble instead by a few db. The DT 770 pro i have sounds the closest if the treble(7 ~ 10k) is cut by few db. My ER2XR + EQ sounds much better than the ER3SE i had while back.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #16,368 of 19,246
That also why DD headphones sound much cleaner when the 100 ~ 250Hz area is cut by few db. I tried that EQ band but left the Q at 1.3 since it where the ER2XR is quite hot at, 1.2db in the 500 ~ 1000Hz is a must too since stuff there sounds muted.

Or just bump up the mids/treble instead by a few db. The DT 770 pro i have sounds the closest if the treble(7 ~ 10k) is cut by few db. My ER2XR + EQ sounds much better than the ER3SE i had while back.
I agree on the 2xr being better than the 3se. Perhaps in an isolation chamber, 3se would be better, but the minimal background drone of urban life (even at home) does better with a slight dollop of subs. I say that as someone who swore by er4ps for a long time ( almost 20 years ago)

Feb 14, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #16,369 of 19,246
I agree on the 2xr being better than the 3se. Perhaps in an isolation chamber, 3se would be better, but the minimal background drone of urban life (even at home) does better with a slight dollop of subs. I say that as someone who swore by er4ps for a long time ( almost 20 years ago)
You just need to walk by following the tempo of the bass drum, so your foot steps add to the drum's low freqs. I can't possibly be the only one doing that.

Here I am
jcsw.gif
trying to follow the bass drum from this track without much success:

Feb 14, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #16,370 of 19,246
You just need to walk by following the tempo of the bass drum, so your foot steps add to the drum's low freqs. I can't possibly be the only one doing that.

Here I am
jcsw.gif
trying to follow the bass drum from this track without much success:

You are still crazy...

Feb 15, 2021 at 7:31 AM Post #16,371 of 19,246
Random question, what is the ER2XR of full-sized headphones? Near diffuse field with some bass impact, but clarity oriented

Perhaps the Denon AH-D 5000 (haven't heard them) would be close.

Out of those that I have, I would say maybe the Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00, but they sound ultimately bassier, warmer and more v-shaped to me, or MrSpeakers AEON FLOW Closed, but their open ear gain compensation is audibly milder in comparison, with more ER-4S-like fundamental range/lower mids and an ultimately somewhat less elevated sub-bass than the ER2XR.

Feb 15, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #16,374 of 19,246
The NAD HP50/70 are very warm headphones. Pretty far from DF IMO.
Really depends on the ear cushions used. I had some aftermarket brainwavs or something cushions which made 50s in soma bass monsters. then I changed back to original cushions with most of pleather gunk removed. This cleared up bass and made them way more neutral.
BTW, ER2XR had way too much bass for me as it was bleeding into mids.

Feb 15, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #16,375 of 19,246
Really depends on the ear cushions used. I had some aftermarket brainwavs or something cushions which made 50s in soma bass monsters. then I changed back to original cushions with most of pleather gunk removed. This cleared up bass and made them way more neutral.
BTW, ER2XR had way too much bass for me as it was bleeding into mids.

I was talking about the stock pads... They have a bit of a mid-bass body bump and a lower midrange skew that gives them a very nice warmth, but in reality they're kind of the opposite of what Etys are known for.

Edit: I feel like the NAD would be closer to the Harman target than they would the Etymotic one.

Feb 15, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #16,376 of 19,246
I was talking about the stock pads... They have a bit of a mid-bass body bump and a lower midrange skew that gives them a very nice warmth, but in reality they're kind of the opposite of what Etys are known for.

Edit: I feel like the NAD would be closer to the Harman target than they would the Etymotic one.
Accidentally, er2xr are the closest to harman curve of all etymotics

Feb 17, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #16,377 of 19,246
The build and accessories on this new ER4SR are a little disappointing compared with the earlier version that I previously owned. The new cable is much thinner than I remembered and the housing feels much lighter than I recall. Guess they had to cut cost somewhere now that they're assembled in Vietnam now.
Maybe just random errors.
I recently bought another ER4SR due to their crazy sales, and here's how they look.
P1 upper is US version, lower is vietnam version.
p2 left US right vietnam.

Attachments

• IMG_20210217_155532.jpg
    IMG_20210217_155532.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210217_155513.jpg
    IMG_20210217_155513.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
Feb 17, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #16,378 of 19,246
Maybe just random errors.
I recently bought another ER4SR due to their crazy sales, and here's how they look.
P1 upper is US version, lower is vietnam version.
p2 left US right vietnam.

So do you think they sound the same? General question: should we expect any differences in sound for all Ety ER series other than build qualities between US and Vietnam versions?

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #16,379 of 19,246
So do you think they sound the same? General question: should we expect any differences in sound for all Ety ER series other than build qualities between US and Vietnam versions?
These new vietnam versions comes with some extra 2 flange tips. The outside carrying pouch was slightly different(left is the new one)
Sound wise, initially I think the vietnam ones are much brighter, but when I rolled my old ER4's tips onto the new ones, they sound the same. So to my opinion there's not much difference.IMG_20210217_162159.jpg

Feb 17, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #16,380 of 19,246
From another thread, direct from an Etymotic employee:

These days, the manufacture and testing is done in Vietnam. We've worked with this company for a while now but only migrated the ER4s there in the past couple years. The earphones are built, tested and matched with the same process that we used before the move. We also have not made any material changes to the product.

Bolding mine; there is no difference in the IEMs and any perceived difference is placebo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back