If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jan 20, 2021 at 1:15 AM Post #16,112 of 19,251
I got the ER2SE with brown filters in, double flange tips. These are amazing. Stock filters are good, but kind of lacked a little bit of treble. Brown filters are sooooo good. I'm really mid-bass sensitive, so the SE is absolutely perfect for me. Endgame and I only hit one "dud" in my search before coming to these.

Consider yourself very lucky... In the ~ 13 years that I've been more seriously into the headphone and in-ear hobby, prior to finally discovering the in-ears that, with no added EQ, come closest to my perception of flat neutral (ER-4S - some years before the ER4SR release), I bought in-ears and headphones for (almost) the same money that I could have also used to get a new C7 Corvette (US price - with all of the gear that I bought after buying my ER-4S (because, well, I was already that deep into the hobby), it would've even been possible to get it at the EU price).
And I bet that a Corvette plus just a few in-ears and headphones would have been more fun than no Corvette but all of this headphone-related gear. Then again, the headphones and gear around them don't require annual insurance fees, gasoline and all of the stuff that comes along with owning a car.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2021 at 2:34 AM Post #16,114 of 19,251
Just noticed a big difference the ER2 needs a 2.5db boost above 7KHz to mimic the ER4SR but the ER2 wins on bandwidth. ER2 = 35 ~ 15100Hz while the ER4SR = 65 ~ 14200Hz this is from doing sine sweeps with no EQ done. The price to performance is higher than the ER4 in my view. Really wanting to try the multi BA Etymotic if it a BA ER2XR.

Jan 20, 2021 at 6:35 AM Post #16,115 of 19,251
Hmm, you obviously haven't dipped a toe in car audio systems yet :)

Despite having seen (but never heard) several really well-done custom car audio stereo installations that cover the entire relevant frequency spectrum and have high fidelity (DSP with precise impulse response, FR adjustments etc.), I don't see any reason for me even if I had to use the car on a daily basis for several hours (after all, the money spent on the audio system doesn't add any real resale value to the car, and several installations and modifications cannot be removed completely; on another note, most people into car audio, even those who want to achieve very good FR and IR, are into "dB drag racing", which is a practice I really cannot relate to, but well, in the headphone hobby, after all, there are also people who are into fancy cables (not just for the looks) or audio formats with sample rates beyond Red Book standards, so to each their own).
When going on long road trips, it's usually IEMs that I have in my ears... Good isolation from the tyre and wind noise at higher speeds are a welcome bonus (that's also why I take hearing protection with me in case I don't want to use IEMs).

Jan 20, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #16,117 of 19,251
Just noticed a big difference the ER2 needs a 2.5db boost above 7KHz to mimic the ER4SR but the ER2 wins on bandwidth. ER2 = 35 ~ 15100Hz while the ER4SR = 65 ~ 14200Hz this is from doing sine sweeps with no EQ done. The price to performance is higher than the ER4 in my view. Really wanting to try the multi BA Etymotic if it a BA ER2XR.
Yep. You can purchase a brown filter for the ER2 to get a bit of a treble shelf boost. Highly recommend doing that.

Jan 20, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #16,118 of 19,251
Consider yourself very lucky... In the ~ 13 years that I've been more seriously into the headphone and in-ear hobby, prior to finally discovering the in-ear that, with no added EQ, comes closest to my perception of flat neutral (ER-4S - some years before the ER4SR release)

Yes, I do realize my luck. It didn't take long buying first the KZ ZAX and then KBEar Believe based on reviews saying these are "balanced neutral" to realize most other people's perception of balanced neutral is a lot different than mine. I do not like any bass hump if it means the 500-2K mids are recessed. And if the midbass bleeds just forget about it. Even the ER2XRs kind of scared me off because a few reviewers saying the bass and low mids can sound a bit weird. The SE, when you get a proper seal, is perfection for me. Maybe it's my ear canal, it's not huge but I use large tips and don't find the ER2s uncomfortable at all. Larger bore tips have much looser bass for me, so if that carries over to ear canal then yeah, it can easily sound like hyped bass to my ears.

Also, IEM threads on here seem inundated with "shills" or flavor of the month people. Hype hype hype everywhere. I complained about the mid-bass on the Believe and at first people were telling me I needed an amp. They found out I do have an amp, multiple ones. Then it became "yeah they have midbass, you just need to buy this cable"....seriously. 2-3 people saying if you buy this cable from them it fixes the midbass. Insanity. Noped out of there and started looking for completely flat bass IEMs, which brought me here. I'd normally just wear over ears, but I need isolation and I'm really sensitive to clamp.

If I can sell off my KBEars, I'll likely pick up the ER4s or maybe even pick up the new one whenever it's available.

Jan 20, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #16,119 of 19,251
Jan 20, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #16,120 of 19,251
Also, IEM threads on here seem inundated with "shills" or flavor of the month people. Hype hype hype everywhere. I complained about the mid-bass on the Believe and at first people were telling me I needed an amp. They found out I do have an amp, multiple ones. Then it became "yeah they have midbass, you just need to buy this cable"....seriously. 2-3 people saying if you buy this cable from them it fixes the midbass. Insanity. Noped out of there and started looking for completely flat bass IEMs, which brought me here. I'd normally just wear over ears, but I need isolation and I'm really sensitive to clamp.

Never take anything they seriously, When I did what they claimed was warm sounding was a lot of sub bass with too much mid-bass. Recessed mids and very peaky treble that tries fight of the bass. I sometimes wonder if that where the clarity/res mostly stems from.

Jan 20, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #16,121 of 19,251

ive learned a lot about from this forum over the years, and i agree with ur assessment. the ppl are well intentioned, but human psychology prevails over conscious thought. combine the inability of people to admit when they are wrong (pride) with need for external gratification (insecurity), and you have recipe for misinformation. very few ppl are able to admit when expensive purchase they made was a flop, and very few are able to take criticism about an IEM/cable/setup without taking it personally and getting defensive.

nothing wrong with the people, psychology just is what it is. i found once u approach the shill/hype reviews and threads with this understanding, you gain ability to read between the lines and understand how the IEM truly is.

Never take anything they seriously, When I did what they claimed was warm sounding was a lot of sub bass with too much mid-bass. Recessed mids and very peaky treble that tries fight of the bass. I sometimes wonder if that where the clarity/res mostly stems from.

i find IEMs with boosted treble and false sense of detail have similar experience. these iems usually have good wow factor for me in beginning, but over time the true IEM colors start to show and becomes a dull listen.

Jan 21, 2021 at 3:48 AM Post #16,122 of 19,251
i find IEMs with boosted treble and false sense of detail have similar experience. these iems usually have good wow factor for me in beginning, but over time the true IEM colors start to show and becomes a dull listen.

I've had many Multi driver IEM's like this, The ER2/ER4 with high boost at 7KHz of 3db doesn't seem to suffer this.

ive learned a lot about from this forum over the years, and i agree with ur assessment. the ppl are well intentioned, but human psychology prevails over conscious thought. combine the inability of people to admit when they are wrong (pride) with need for external gratification (insecurity), and you have recipe for misinformation. very few ppl are able to admit when expensive purchase they made was a flop, and very few are able to take criticism about an IEM/cable/setup without taking it personally and getting defensive.

nothing wrong with the people, psychology just is what it is. i found once u approach the shill/hype reviews and threads with this understanding, you gain ability to read between the lines and understand how the IEM truly is.

That why they don't read charts/data, Where the ER2XR measures better distortion wise & has much cleaner tuning than much of the $1000 regardless of driver. Heck the very fast decay or resting on the ER2 was focal Utopia thing yet the ety doing that at $99?.

Jan 21, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #16,123 of 19,251
That why they don't read charts/data, Where the ER2XR measures better distortion wise & has much cleaner tuning than much of the $1000 regardless of driver. Heck the very fast decay or resting on the ER2 was focal Utopia thing yet the ety doing that at $99?.

My ER2 is faster and cleaner than the Believe, which supposedly has a beryllium driver. I found it really unnatural sounding compared to the ER2, which sounds more like real monitors in timbre.

Archspire - Doppelganger, Animals as Leaders - Paramixer, handles those with flying colors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back