If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Jan 21, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #16,128 of 19,241
I ended up with the ER3SE.
I have to say that I use ety on the go only.
I owned many Etymotics in the past: ER4S, ER4SR (twice), ER2SE, ER3SE (twice) but never any XR version.
ER3SE to me is a good compromise.

Jan 21, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #16,129 of 19,241
My ER2 is faster and cleaner than the Believe, which supposedly has a beryllium driver. I found it really unnatural sounding compared to the ER2, which sounds more like real monitors in timbre.

Archspire - Doppelganger, Animals as Leaders - Paramixer, handles those with flying colors.

The ER2 is BA like with very fast music doesn't have the DD timbre where bass lingers after a note.

Jan 21, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #16,131 of 19,241
What's the stock dampers in the 2's ?
(Edit)
Just found out both the SE & XR have green as stock.
Might be worth getting a set of each and having a play with some spare dampers I have, anyone rolled dampers on them ?
I bought the pack and really like the brown filters. A lot. Did not bother with filters with lower treble than the stock green.

Jan 21, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #16,132 of 19,241
[...] ppl are well intentioned, but human psychology prevails over conscious thought. combine the inability of people to admit when they are wrong (pride) with need for external gratification (insecurity), and you have recipe for misinformation. very few ppl are able to admit when expensive purchase they made was a flop [...]

nothing wrong with the people, psychology just is what it is. i found once u approach the shill/hype reviews and threads with this understanding, you gain ability to read between the lines and understand how the IEM truly is.

i find IEMs with boosted treble and false sense of detail have similar experience. these iems usually have good wow factor for me in beginning, but over time the true IEM colors start to show and becomes a dull listen.

Well-observed, basic psychological effects are responsible for much of the annoying bits you'll find in every person, including me. It is the tragedy that very few people doubt themselves as much as they should. Nietzsche really was more than 100 years ahead with his introspection. Too bad that ~50% of changes need to come from our behaviour, rather than technical solutions. My working hypothesis is that this holds everywhere, not only in environmental science...

I am by no means near an audio expert/engineer, and it is very clear that most people writing about their impressions aren't more skillful. Even if they have heard many head-/earphones, the brain's adaptation-rate is just to quick (~seconds).

That said, I find after much EQ-based simulations, that making my ER4 XR sound like a ER4 SR yields more realistic drums. Obviously there is some variance depending mostly on the recording; but overall my current database says I prefer the simulated SR .666 of the time. Of course that is just some homo sapien claiming to know its "I". :p

Jan 21, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #16,133 of 19,241
Well-observed, basic psychological effects are responsible for much of the annoying bits you'll find in every person, including me. It is the tragedy that very few people doubt themselves as much as they should. Nietzsche really was more than 100 years ahead with his introspection. Too bad that ~50% of changes need to come from our behaviour, rather than technical solutions. My working hypothesis is that this holds everywhere, not only in environmental science...

I am by no means near an audio expert/engineer, and it is very clear that most people writing about their impressions aren't more skillful. Even if they have heard many head-/earphones, the brain's adaptation-rate is just to quick (~seconds).

That said, I find after much EQ-based simulations, that making my ER4 XR sound like a ER4 SR yields more realistic drums. Obviously there is some variance depending mostly on the recording; but overall my current database says I prefer the simulated SR .666 of the time. Of course that is just some homo sapien claiming to know its "I". :p

"It is the tragedy that very few people doubt themselves as much as they should."

well said :) true humility through honest self criticism is a superpower in its own right

"Of course that is just some homo sapien claiming to know its "I". :p"

Great tip! glad u found an eq settings that works for u, I find my ER4XRs responds very well to eqing, I think it brings out the treble and improves separation in an already fantastic IEM...but what do I know xD

Jan 22, 2021 at 5:38 AM Post #16,135 of 19,241
@EtyDave @Everyone How deep will this new multi-BA design go into the ear? It would suppose less that ER-series, but more than say, Shure models?

Something I'm wondering as well. Etymotic has always been so special in part due to the supreme isolation possible, hoping that remains true in the new model.

Jan 22, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #16,138 of 19,241
Hey guys i got a problem with my er4xr. Basically the right buds has some cutoff and distortion. This is just happening randomly. I contacted the seller and they are offering me a free replacement, so I am glad to take it. (Like too much the er4xr)

For the sound I like the large 3 flanges better, but I want also try the new double flanges.
Someone know where to buy a mixed set of dual flanges ? (Like s,m,l)
As far as I found, they are selling them as set of same dimension.
I also found a set of all ety eartips for
29 $ on their website, which is great, but shipping to Italy is 45 $... A bit too much. If someone know where to buy it with cheaper shipping it will be great!

Thanks

Jan 22, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #16,139 of 19,241
Does anyone know why the Adorama Etymotics are so much cheaper than anywhere else? The sales continue, well past the holidays. As has been said here, they are cheaper than even used ones sold in other places...

Jan 22, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #16,140 of 19,241
Does anyone know why the Adorama Etymotics are so much cheaper than anywhere else? The sales continue, well past the holidays. As has been said here, they are cheaper than even used ones sold in other places...

The ER2s were cheaper on Amazon. They even had the ER2XR for 65USD a month or two ago. I paid 85USD for the ER2SE on Amazon. I see the ER4SR for 300, doesn't seem like a steep discount. This a regional pricing thing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back