If you had a $10,000 dollar budget.
Sep 11, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #31 of 85

Quote:

Hell no... Not yet at least. I don't have a job at the moment, so money is an immovable object. I went to a meet last month and I was completely blown away by what I heard. Like you said, it was just on a level I didn't think was possible--Hopefully I'll be getting some kind of a minimum-wage job soon though, since I'm 16 on Monday. I just bought a DV 336se today in early preparation and I'm hoping they're synergetic. Even so, I tested them on my old LD 1+/Aune combo and they sounded ridiculously good, so I doubt they'll sound BAD... Almost got the M-Stage though, since I thought something transparent would do them some good. We'll find out soon.

If I added myself to the list now, and for some awful reason I didn't have the money in time, do you think they would just give them to the next guy in line? I'm sure it's a pretty long list.... How long did you wait for yours?

I am sure if you added yourself now you would have plenty of time to get the money together.

If you are having your parents pay via credit card, you should have about a month to get the money together (through selling of old gear if you must) so you have all the time till you get them, then a month after that. If there is a will, certainly there is a way. I waited about 1.5 months for mine but the wait time is generally longer.

Happy early birthday! And damn, LCD-2 at 16... and I though I was good at 19 (soon to be 20... too soon I am getting so old).

As far as the DV 336SE goes, never heard it. If it is OTL, might not be the best choice, but as you stated : certainly not bad.

Cheers

Sep 11, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #32 of 85
If I ever live to have a $10,000 to spend, it would be on the

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III

I may not be a professional or do professional work, but my passion for photography and quality is beyond the boundaries.

Sep 11, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #33 of 85

Quote:
If I ever live to have a $10,000 to spend, it would be on the

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III

I may not be a professional or do professional work, but my passion for photography and quality is beyond the boundaries.

I am sure the speaker on it for video playback is of great quality too. Way to kill two birds with one stone K-Money! Great Audio quality, and great photo quality!

Sep 11, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #34 of 85
If I had $10,000 for a portable rig, I would get a JH-13/16 with TWag Cable and a Sansa Clip+ (with 32 GB microSD card). The remaining $8000 would be used for a different rig or more music. Maybe a better laptop.

If I had $10,000 for a transportable rig, I would get a JH-3A, TWag Cable, and a Viliv S5. The remaining money would be sunk into more music, a different rig, or a better laptop.

If I had $10,000 for a home rig, I would probably get a Sennheiser HD800, Lavry DA11, Leben C300X, and a Smyth Realiser. The remaining money would be sunk into more music, a different rig, or a better laptop.

Realistically speaking though, I probably wouldn't spend $10,000 on any rig.

Sep 11, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #35 of 85
Probably my current rig too.  If i add up the best line in the set up  not including the computer it's around 9K plus the macbook pro would put me a touch over.

Sep 11, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #36 of 85

Quote:
 But who knows, maybe those strippers are also classically trained singers?

They are usually working their way through law school or med school, at least that's what they have told my friends...

I would go maybe like this:

Imac (0$)>PWD ($3000)>Luxman SQ-N100 ($3000)>Edition 8 ($1500)=$7.5K..
rest to new music....

Sep 12, 2010 at 4:25 AM Post #38 of 85
I don't see myself ever spending $10,000 let alone $2,000 on headphones.

Ok!
The OP ask for a complete system though (DAC, amplifier, headphone), so one may reach $10k with "just" $2k on the headphones...

Sep 12, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #39 of 85
I'd be downgrading.

Of course, if I spent $10K to upgrade my system I would put it all towards a new phonostage.

Sep 13, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #40 of 85

Quote:
I am sure if you added yourself now you would have plenty of time to get the money together.

If you are having your parents pay via credit card, you should have about a month to get the money together (through selling of old gear if you must) so you have all the time till you get them, then a month after that. If there is a will, certainly there is a way. I waited about 1.5 months for mine but the wait time is generally longer.

Happy early birthday! And damn, LCD-2 at 16... and I though I was good at 19 (soon to be 20... too soon I am getting so old).

As far as the DV 336SE goes, never heard it. If it is OTL, might not be the best choice, but as you stated : certainly not bad.

Cheers

Thanks a lot, haha... I feel pretty old myself, actually. Only so long until I lose frequencies off my hearing
rolleyes.gif

What's wrong with OTL amps? TBH have no idea what that means... xD

Sep 13, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #41 of 85

Quote:

Thanks a lot, haha... I feel pretty old myself, actually. Only so long until I lose frequencies off my hearing
rolleyes.gif

What's wrong with OTL amps? TBH have no idea what that means... xD

Output Transformer Less

Just means the output impedance is higher than say a solid state, or a transformer coupled tube amp, and with low impedance headphones you are likely to get roll off with the low low and high high frequencies.

But again, not bad.

Sep 13, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #43 of 85
Mine is over 10000 right now and I am only half done.  Computer --> Ayon Skylla --> Eddie Currant BA ---> LA7000.

Sep 13, 2010 at 3:41 AM Post #44 of 85
Mine is over 10k too.

Sep 13, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #45 of 85
If I didnt already have a Xonar STX and my headphones, It would be them and a Heed Can amp That be it,Rest just be in the bank for important stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back