If you could see one musical act (dead or alive) who would it be?
Nov 3, 2005 at 2:02 AM Post #46 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel
1)You can pick anyone...who and why?
2)Also, what were youre top 5 shows? (when and where)
3)Which show do you regret missing the most?

1. Mozart. I've heard that he was quite an accomplished improviser, but obviously we'll never know.

2. (no particular order)
Miles Davis - '80s, The Coachhouse in San Juan Capestrano (really any of the shows I saw there could qualify for this list - Chick Corea, Go Ahead, et al)
Cecil Taylor Trio - 1990, North Sea Jazz Festival (again, lots of great sets that year: Freddie Hubbard/McCoy Tyner, Motian/Haden/Bley, George Clinton, etc.)
Dylan/Dead - '80s, Anaheim Stadium
Roger Waters - Radio KAOS tour, San Diego
Naked City - 1990, Slim's in San Francisco

3. (no particular order)
- Had opportunities to see Cab Calloway and Dizzy Gillespie in Holland, coulda shoula woulda...
- Should have gone with my roomies to see Frank Sinatra at the Circle Star Theater back in the early '90s
- Would have loved to see The Clash before they fired Mick Jones, preferably any tour before Combat Rock
- Really should have gone to see Metallica at the Backdoor at San Diego State (Kill 'em All tour)

Nov 3, 2005 at 6:20 AM Post #47 of 69
1) Janis Joplin with Big Brother and the Holding Company - 1968...Cheap Thrills era with James Gurley on guitar, Country Joe & the Fish and Jefferson Airplane as openers.

2) Akron/Family with Angels of Light - Triple Rock, Mpls. 2005
Yo La Tengo - First Ave., Mpls. 2003
Emmylou Harris with Sam Bush & Rodney Crowell - Salem, OR. 1994
REM with The Three O'Clock - Pittsburgh 1987
The Ramones with Janes Addiction opening - Pittsburgh 1988

3) could've seen Townes Van Zandt a couple months before he died (in Eugene, OR)...
frown.gif

Nov 3, 2005 at 8:21 AM Post #48 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by shesmylovernow
Miles Davis
Elliott Smith

ooh, good answer...makes me want to change mine. miles davis definately.

Nov 3, 2005 at 9:44 AM Post #49 of 69
Hmm – I suppose some artist might have been better on recorded media than in real life. Or more correctly, it is by their recordings we know them. I would hate to ruin my illusions
600smile.gif

However, Jimmi Hendrix, Birgit Nilsson and of course Jenny Lind would probably have been quite exiting concerts.Jenny is supposed to have been quite a bird, a singing one that is.

Nov 4, 2005 at 6:22 AM Post #50 of 69
Sun Ra/Pink Floyd (Syd Barrett years)/The Stooges/The Beatles/Godspeed You Black Emperor!/The Greatful Dead

In no order, here are some good shows I have been to:
Tool ('02)
Pinback ('05)
The Unicorns ('04)
Tristeza ('05)
Wilco ('05)

Nov 4, 2005 at 6:28 AM Post #51 of 69
I would like to hear something super old-school... like Mozart. Also, it would be nice to see a Doors show.

Edit: Oh yeah... I also regret not ever seeing a Perfect Circle show... damn that would have been sweet.

Nov 5, 2005 at 3:20 PM Post #52 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
The Beatles, Pink Floyd (Animals Tour), The Who (with Keith Moon), and The Doors...in that order.

Well, I've got 3 out of 4 covered (my wild and well spent youth) so I guess my dead acts would have to be Mahler conducting Mahler, Bach playing the Goldberg Variations, Mozart playing a piano concerto and Beethoven conducting the Eroica and any piano composition he would choose.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 6, 2005 at 5:45 PM Post #56 of 69
Bach playing his organ music.

Regards,

L.

Nov 6, 2005 at 6:03 PM Post #57 of 69
I'd like to have attended the Sex Pistols show in manchester that triggered much of the punk (and post-punk) explosion (Joy Division, Buzzcocks, etc.). The one everyone in Manchester now claims to have attended even though there were less than 100 people there (but they all formed bands).
orphsmile.gif

Either that or one of the few handfull of shows Nick Drake played, particularly in the tiny pubs where you could be within a few feet of him, just to try to get a sense of who the guy was. God, I wish there was film of him, not just still photos.
frown.gif

Nov 7, 2005 at 6:47 AM Post #59 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Creep
I would've loved to have been at a show that my mom went to (I think it was 1992). Metallica, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Mudhoney and one or two others, with special guest opener Spinal Tap.

I saw Mudhoney in concert... wasn't really that impressed, but it was definately better than The Ramones who played just before them (Bumpershoot in Seattle, 1994 or 1995 IIRC).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back