If you could see one musical act (dead or alive) who would it be?
Nov 1, 2005 at 1:18 PM Post #31 of 69
Tool and Bjork. Pavarotti singing at his prime, The Nocturnes played by Chopin himself, and Litsz playing some of his crazy stuff himself.

Foo Fighters are actually coming to Venezuela, might have a chance to see them live!

Nov 1, 2005 at 3:27 PM Post #32 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa
1) Monk and Coltrane

I hope you picked up the recent release of the live show of Monk/Coltrane.

I would add Coltrane and Dolphy at the Village Vanguard in November 1961 to my wish list.

Quote:

2) New Riders of the Purple Sage (which automatically includes a Grateful Dead concert
biggrin.gif
)

Maybe at Harpur College 5/2/70:

Two [58:40 +] Workin' Man Blues [3:34] ; [0:27] ; Watcha Gonna Do [3:44] ; [0:33] ; Glendale Train [1:55#] % Brown Eyed Handsome Man [4:09] ; [0:18] ; Truck Drivin' Man [2:53] ; [0:28] ; Can't Pay The Price [4:45] % All I Ever Wanted [6:40] ; [0:36] ; Henry [3:18] % Lodi [4:15] ; [0:36 Intro] ; Sawmill [3:20] ; [0:12] ; The Race Is On [1:59] ; [0:18] ; Mama Tried [3:00] ; [0:30] ; Me And My Uncle [3:27] ; [0:10] % The Weight [6:19] ; [0:08]

SET 2 is the complete NRPS set, with Garcia on pedal steel guitar. Sawmill through Me And My Uncle feature vocals by "special guest Bobby Ace, formerly of Cards Off The Bottom (haw)."

Quote:

3) Allman Brothers (with Duane)

How about 2/11/70 :

BandGrateful Dead
VenueFillmore East
Location New York, NY
Date2/11/70b - Wednesday
One [1:20:46 +] [0:30 Intro by Keeva Krystal] ; Not Fade Away [11:58] ; [0:02] % Cumberland Blues [4:39] % [0:08] ; Cold Rain And Snow [5:16] ;[0:04] % [0:14] ; High Time [6:48] % [0:09] ; Me And My Uncle [2:58] ; [0:06] % [0:07] Dark Star [16:20] > Spanish Jam [9:23] > Turn On Your Lovelight [32:49] ; [0:49]
Encore [0:13 Intro] ; Uncle John's Band [5:14] ; [0:24]
CommentsLate Show. Total time 1:26:37 +. Arthur Lee of Love adds percussion to the Dark Star. The third guitarist audible starting about 2:30 into Dark Star and for several minutes thereafter is Peter Green. Duane Allman on slide guitar enters around the middle of Dark Star. Gregg Allman adds organ & vocals during Lovelight, and Barry Oakley plays a second bass on Lovelight. Richard Pipes believes Fleetwood Mac-member Danny Kirwan's guitar is also to be discerned in the background. The encore is acoustic Dead, with only one acoustic guitar. The timings are from the AUD supplemented by the SBD. The Allman Bros and Love were also on the bill.

Nov 2, 2005 at 12:14 AM Post #35 of 69
Janis and Big Brother
King Crimson circa late 70's (with Bill Bruford, Tony Levin, Adrian Belew, Fripp,....!)
Genesis (early 70's crazy costumed era - to see Peter G. sing 'Stagnation'!)
Hank Williams Sr. at some dive bar in TX w/ a head-full of whiskey and grass
icon10.gif

Nov 2, 2005 at 12:28 AM Post #37 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeless
I would have loved to see queen, maybe at wembley or something...

Top Five shows in no order...

1 System of a Down at Kool Haus in Toronto (Early 2002 i think...)
2 Deftones at Aero Hall in Mississauga (November 2003)
3 Tool at Molson Park in Barrie (July 2001)
4 Foo Fighters at The Molson Ampitheatre in Toronto (August 2005)
5 Red Hot Chilli Peppers at Skydome (March 1995 or 1996)

I regret missing NIN and Queens of the Stone Age at the ACC about 6 weeks ago...
mad.gif

Forgot about the Deftones-never seen em live. I imagine the show was bananas.
Going to see NIN in the Graden in 48 hrs!!!
Dont mean to rub it in...
biggrin.gif

Nov 2, 2005 at 12:52 AM Post #38 of 69
I would kill to see QOTSA live. I've been wanting to check out OK Go, also.

And Led Zeppelin....
I would have loved to have seen Santana in the early '70s.

I could've killed myself for missing QOTSA last week.
mad.gif

Nov 2, 2005 at 1:26 AM Post #39 of 69
The Beatles, Pink Floyd (Animals Tour), The Who (with Keith Moon), and The Doors...in that order.

Nov 2, 2005 at 1:36 PM Post #41 of 69
x japan - last live

Nov 2, 2005 at 3:26 PM Post #42 of 69
I have re-thought the original question in the thread:

"If you could see one musical act (dead or alive) who would it be?".

I have decided that it was a trick question, in that we are asked to decide whether we would want to see a particular musical act dead or alive. I, for one, do not think I would enjoy a concert dead, so I would have to choose "alive".

Am I over-thinking this? Who's on first?
confused.gif
biggrin.gif

Nov 2, 2005 at 4:08 PM Post #43 of 69
So many people I would love to have seen play it's hard to choose and would depend on my mood: Probably either Miles Davis around the time of Kind of Blue or Discipline era King Crimson would pop up quite often.

Some great shows I've seen in no particular order:

Frank Zappa at the Fox in Atlanta around 1981. Zappa and Steve Vai ripping "Whipping Post" as a final encore was mind blowing.

Echo and the Bunnymen at the Fox in Atlanta mid-eighties. It was a "make-up" show after Ian McCullough collapsed one song into the original show.

REM at the Moonshadow in Atlanta early eighties - great to see them before they broke out big.

Fishbone at the Roxy in Atlanta sometime around 1990. Hottest show I've ever seen - literally and figuratively.

Peter Gabriel, I've seen him a couple times in Atlanta. He's phenomenal and Tony Levin/David Rhodes/Gabriel seem telepathically linked they're so tight on stage.

Two shows I regret missing, Clash in 1981-82 timeframe in Atlanta - I turned down a ticket
confused.gif

Red Hot Chili Peppers/Fishbone show at Metroplex in Atlanta.

Nov 2, 2005 at 4:29 PM Post #44 of 69
Backstreet Boys reunion at a really cheesy mall you won't believe mall acoustics man!

lol

really Mozart, Beethoven, Hendrix, Zep, Sabbath(old school), Metallica(old school)

some favs I saw SRV AT AUSTIN '91 (WHOAAA), Beastie Boys opening for Run DMC(my first concert), NIN (HALLOWEEN and they were filming--- --INSANE there was a riot after---morons----at least I got laid lol)

Nov 2, 2005 at 4:51 PM Post #45 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel
1)You can pick anyone...who and why?
2)Also, what were youre top 5 shows? (when and where)
3)Which show do you regret missing the most?

1)
James Brown - mid 60's - early 70's
Fred/Pee Wee/Maceo (The JB's) - anytime!

2)
i) Incognito/AWB/Chic/Marcus Miller - Fuji Jazz Festival (~2003)
ii) Maceo Parker (with Prince) - NYC (~1998/9)
iii) Osaka Monaurail - Ebisu Garden Place, Tokyo (2005)
iv) The Dirty Dozen Brass Band - Club Quattro, Shibuya, Tokyo (2005)
v) Skunkhour (final gig) - Sydney, Australia (~2001)
vi) Tower Of Power - Blue Note, Tokyo (2005)

3)
Ive missed Jamiroquai twice which I was p!ssed off about. But I have tickets for mid nov :-D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back