If this is what I think about the D2000, what should I try next?
Sep 13, 2010 at 4:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

solidsnake

100+ Head-Fier
I'll try to keep this straightforward. I've had the D2000 for 6 months and I'm beginning not to like them, I would appreciate it if you could help me narrow down a few options for #2.

I do enjoy the sound of the Denons, but they're not quite perfect for me. The bass is great, just enough impact for me (wouldn't mind a bit more). The midrange feels sucked out. The treble is a tad too sibilant/harsh for me. Overall the sound is just too laid back/slow for me. I listen to Metallica, Iron Maiden, ect.  and these headphones feel like they were made more for classical music.

Although, I don't hate the way they sound enough to give them up for that; its the physical headphone that annoys me. They don't clamp enough, they're heavy, I don't like the fabric cable, they are somewhat fragile. Just doesn't work for me.

So I want something with the same basic sound signature; except softer, a little bit "glassier" treble, no more recessed mids, and maybe even more bass impact. Soundstage isn't really a preference, so long as its not too far into the extremes (very very close, very very far), imaging is important tho. 

My budget is $300 tops. Open or closed isn't a preference. My source is lossless audio, my amp is the iBasso D4 Mamba.

So please, throw in a recommendation. Thanks!

Sep 13, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #3 of 13
Would any of Beyerdynamic's headphones fit my description (in terms of sound)? Because I really like the physical aspects of all of them. Single entry, robust design.

Sep 14, 2010 at 2:40 AM Post #4 of 13
Well, you might consider modding the D2000s, stuffing the earpads (which will help them clamp more), and just getting some tak and cotton and trying it yourself. It'd be cheap, easy to do, and reversible. If you liked it, you could maybe do the MarkL version which would be a bit more in depth.

The DT990s might be more what you're looking for, and possibly the DT770s. Not sure if you could get 600ohm versions for your price or not (and you'd need a good amp so that'd be even more cost for you).

I know what you mean about the D2000s sounding a bit slow for metal, but you're not going to really going to find too many headphones that have D2000 quantity (or better) bass impact while being quick. You might be willing to give up some of the impact though when you hear good speedy headphones that are a bit more balanced in overall sound signature (or ones that bring out the guitars in metal for instance).

I might would recommend Grado, but I don't know their models well enough so I'll just mention them. Two others you might possibly consider are the W1000 and the A900Ti. The latter will be a bit more refined and balanced sound that's similar to the D2000, but I don't know that it would be enough for you. The W1000 is speedy, and I thought sounded great with some nice heavy music, but they're finnicky and the bass will leave you wanting. I doubt you could get an AD2000 in your price range, but it would be another one to possibly consider. Same goes for the Ultrasone Pro900.

Sep 14, 2010 at 8:43 AM Post #5 of 13
My DT880 are awesome with Iron Maiden, Metallica etc. Mids sound fine, neutral, but fine. Lovely tight, quick and clean bass and the treble isn't too bright, either. Very comfortable pair of cans, built well too. Difficult to power them properly though. Either way, if you go for a Beyer, definitely opt for 600ohm. 

Sep 14, 2010 at 11:56 AM Post #6 of 13
the beyer dt880 600 ohm will give you smooth treble and ample bass response while the dt990 600 ohm will give you stronger bass impact with more treble quantity bordering on the aggressive side...

i would personally prefer smooth treble and ample bass for extended listening sessions, compared to brighter treble with more bass impact. the dt880 has a more relaxing signature while the dt990 has a more enjoyable presentation. that is just me however. and i haven't heard the denon yet 
smile.gif

Sep 14, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #7 of 13
I don't want to spread rumours or anything, but if you search up on the dt 880 and dt 990, other headfiiers state that they are incredibly sibilant. If this is fixed with amping, new revisions, etc. I would buy one. I just want to know if this is still true.

Sep 15, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #8 of 13
darkswordsman, how would I go about stuffing the pads? Is there a tutorial on here? Google isn't my friend right now
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//http://hfimage.head-fi.org/smilies/frown.gif" title="
frown.gif
" width="" />

Quote:
I know what you mean about the D2000s sounding a bit slow for metal, but you're not going to really going to find too many headphones that have D2000 quantity (or better) bass impact while being quick. You might be willing to give up some of the impact though when you hear good speedy headphones that are a bit more balanced in overall sound signature (or ones that bring out the guitars in metal for instance).

Yeah... you're right, I am kinda asking for an impossible headphone
tongue.gif
, especially in this price range. I guess I'm already as close to having the best of both worlds as it gets? I might go down to Bay Bloor Radio this weekend and try out some more balanced headphones, as long as the bass impact isn't lacking I might like something

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I will focus my reading on those headphones. I'm pretty excited that some Beyers actually fit my description, I've always wanted a pair although I'm afraid the 600 ohm versions will probably be too much for my little D4. Hopefully I'll be able to try all these headphones in store! I'm still open to suggestions, if there is anything else I should look at.

Sep 15, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #9 of 13
The beyers are worth a listen and a demo.  You can sometimes find them at pro-audio oriented shops.  Can't guarantee you'll like them, but you never know till you try.  The beyers have a peculiar spike and emphasis in the high frquencies, in the frequency range that includes the tish sound for cymbals.  I personally find that emphasis on that region a bit much for my ears, especially with the DT990.  The cymbals just get way too sharp for me and it can cause some extra sibilance as well.  A lot depends on your personal ears though.  When you get a demo of any of the beyers give some attention to the highs and cymbals and potential sibilance to make sure it's going to work for you.

The D2000 has its funky issues with highs as well.  A bit of a spike in an area of high frequencies and a certain sound signature to the highs as well.  But for some reason that doesn't bother me but on the beyers the peculiar beyer style of highs does bother me.  I find that all a bit odd, but it is what it is to my ears.

If you want to have some experimenting with the Denons you can try EQing the mids.  If you do any computer as source you can play with some software parametric EQs that will allow you to dial in the specific midrange frequencies that the Denon needs some help with.  I have a sample EQ curve that I use in my sig.  I find that an EQ boosted midrange really helps metal and hard rock (as well as bluesish rock).  The Denons can rock.  Iron Maiden on the D2000 with EQed mids is fun.  That galloping bass that the D2000 can bring out just makes it all work oh so well.

I'm curious to hear the new Denon AH-D1100 and the 100th Anniversary AH-A100 headphones.  If they have improved the midrange I could really like them.

Sep 15, 2010 at 2:44 AM Post #11 of 13
Thanks for the tips, I'm hoping that the DT880s aren't as sibilant as the DT990s, D2000 level sibilance is about my limit.

This is the third time you've replied to me suggesting your famous EQ haha 
tongue.gif
 In fact I have a preset saved in Foobar called "Ham Sandwich". It does sound better, I have to admit, but there are a few inconveniences that have caused me to not EQ anymore (+ I use find myself listening with the iPod more often now). And like I said, the headphones have their own physical inconveniences too (cable, weight, portability, clamping, ect.)... It seems everyone wants me to keep the Denons! xD 

Or maybe I'll wait for those D1100 and A100s, like you said. 

Sep 15, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #12 of 13
The DT880 600ohm is not sibilant at all. Smooth as butter. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:
Thanks for the tips, I'm hoping that the DT880s aren't as sibilant as the DT990s, D2000 level sibilance is about my limit.

tongue.gif
 In fact I have a preset saved in Foobar called "Ham Sandwich". It does sound better, I have to admit, but there are a few inconveniences that have caused me to not EQ anymore (+ I use find myself listening with the iPod more often now). And like I said, the headphones have their own physical inconveniences too (cable, weight, portability, clamping, ect.)... It seems everyone wants me to keep the Denons! xD 

Sep 15, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #13 of 13

Quote:

tongue.gif

biggrin.gif

I tend to forget who I've replied to in the past.  I do like that EQ.  The Denon's need it.

I'm looking for an alternative to my D2000.  Something similar in terms of full sound (nothing thin for me) and extended bass to 20 Hz (did I mention I like pipe organ?).  Something that doesn't need such EQing.  I haven't found it yet.  The beyer's I've tried haven't clicked for me, mostly cause of the treble and sparkle bump.  Even the T1 isn't what I'm after.  Other headphones I've tried haven't quite clicked either.  Eventually I'll find one that can replace the D2000, but till then it is D2000 for me.  The LCD-2 is the only other headphone I've heard that could replace my Denon.  But the LCD-2 is more than I prefer to spend on a headphone.  So the hunt continues.

The D2000 certainly has its faults and its own take on sound character.  Certainly not an ideal headphone.  I just like its overall sound but want something a little better yet still somehow similar but without the faults and need for EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back