If the HD650s scale so well, when is it time to give up on them?
Dec 23, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #31 of 36

Quote:
IMO they do not scale as well as others would lead you to believe. They do scale well but not a ton. I find that the DT880 and K702 scale better, heck they both scale better than my HD600 (which I love).

A new amp of DAC would provide more improvements than your headphones would. Or rather should I say that they rely heavily on the source material? I don't know right now, I'm far to tired to think straight..

I would rather invest in better headphones than upgrading gear to squeeze a little more out of them. No need to drop $700 more on a DAC only if it will ad an extra 5%-10% improvement.

Anyways I think a lot of it is synergy between gear and the headphones.

If you're talking to me, noone has led me to believe anything. I'm speaking from personal experience with (2) HD650s and an HD600 over a period of 2+ years.

I agree with your synergy comment though.

Dec 24, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #32 of 36
My HD 650 sounded good from my wa6 now with my little dot MKVI or virtue 1 they sound 3 times as good. I had the 600OHMS DT 880 and I liked them but the HD 650 to me is a better headphone. I have a HE 5 LE which for sure is better than both the DT 880 and HD 650 and I will not get rid of HD650, but I sold my DT 880. Everything is a matter of taste and preference but trying to be impartial the HD 650 has better bass and better highs. The DT 880 has a little more air and a little more detail .

Dec 24, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #34 of 36
No it was not directed at you. I was speaking in general.

Quote:
If you're talking to me, noone has led me to believe anything. I'm speaking from personal experience with (2) HD650s and an HD600 over a period of 2+ years.

I agree with your synergy comment though.

Jan 12, 2011 at 5:29 AM Post #35 of 36

Is the one shown here the older one or latest one?

regards

Quote:
One way to tailor your HD650 sound to your liking isn't by switching cable, dac or amp, but is by picking the right HD650 if you're going used. There are 2 versions of HD650: the older version with black silk baffle and the new version with the silver silk baffle. The older version has a very thick sound because of the lower midrange bump and hence clarity is somewhat masked by it. The new version sounds a lot more neutral, has better clarity and is a lot faster. No amount of recabling or balance amp is gonna bring the older version close to the newer version. Their difference is THAT pronounce. So if anyone's buying a used pair of HD650, they should always ask whether the drivers have black or silver baffles.

Jan 12, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #36 of 36

Quote:
One way to tailor your HD650 sound to your liking isn't by switching cable, dac or amp, but is by picking the right HD650 if you're going used. There are 2 versions of HD650: the older version with black silk baffle and the new version with the silver silk baffle. The older version has a very thick sound because of the lower midrange bump and hence clarity is somewhat masked by it. The new version sounds a lot more neutral, has better clarity and is a lot faster. No amount of recabling or balance amp is gonna bring the older version close to the newer version. Their difference is THAT pronounce. So if anyone's buying a used pair of HD650, they should always ask whether the drivers have black or silver baffles.

moonboy, I can't help feeling your comments are a little black and white. There's still a lot of debate about how great the differences in the old/new 650 is, and some people claim not to hear much difference. I had an old/new side-by-side and I must say I couldn't hear much difference. OTOH, I recabled my 650 with Headphile Blacksilver cable and was pleasantly surprised by the extra clarity, though I hadn't expected much difference. So while your opinion may be true for you I'm not sure it would find universal agreement.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back